Catalytic Converter Theft

:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
Due to price hike of these expensive metals in the CAT (catalytic converter), CAT theft is growing now.
Most victims are Prius (which has TWO CATs) and high ground clearance SUV/trucks (easy access).

Should we worry about our Mazdas?
Has any owner had their CAT stolen yet?

Related thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...erter-stolen-seeing-article-in-nyt.123874690/

As far as I know, the best way to prevent this theft is to make the underside of the car as inaccessible as possible. Fanciest form of cat converter theft? Air suspension (lower the car so that they can't get underneath). Otherwise you can have a muffler shop weld a cage or enclosure around the converter. Thieves are looking for something easy and quick to steal, so if they see a cage or something around your cat, they'll be more likely to just move on to a different car.

Did you know that China just enacted new vehicle smog laws and the prices of those precious metals in catalytic converters are in the process of going WAYY up?

We used to have a '05 Prius (2nd gen).
It has been a prime target for CAT theft. (two CATs accessible)
The repair cost is more than $2k if OEM part is used.

I watched some of the preventive solutions on Youtube, the one that stands out seems to be the metal plate that covers the entire area underneath the CATs. Special bolts need to be used.
Don't think they have one for Mazda yet. Only Prius.

We used to have a '05 Prius (2nd gen).
It has been a prime target for CAT theft. (two CATs accessible)
The repair cost is more than $2k if OEM part is used.

I watched some of the preventive solutions on Youtube, the one that stands out seems to be the metal plate that covers the entire area underneath the CATs. Special bolts need to be used.
Don't think they have one for Mazda yet. Only Prius.
But is it needed? Are the cats easily accessible on mazdas?

Yes they are if you have a way to cut it off real quick.

That CatClamp link I posted seems to have good reviews.

Also, all cars with OBD2 have both pre and main cats. (y)

Yes they are if you have a way to cut it off real quick.

I'm asking if they are accessible aka if there is easy access to cut it off real quick. You're saying yes, if you can. So can you? Someone has to get under their CX-5 and look around.

Also, all cars with OBD2 have both pre and main cats. (y)

You may be referring to main and post O2 sensors? I've had OBD2 cars (OBD2 ranges back to 1996) that definitely did not have 2 cats.

I think our Skyactiv has two CATs, WU_TWC and TWC. The former is located very close to the exhaust and hard to cut off in 1-2 mins. Most thieves would go for the 2nd one, TWC.

You may be referring to main and post O2 sensors? I've had OBD2 cars (OBD2 ranges back to 1996) that definitely did not have 2 cats.
The precat is located directly after the exhaust manifold with an 02 sensor plugged into it. It keeps the exhaust clean until the car warms up and the main cat begins to work, extending the life of the main cat.
My 1993 RX-7 came with a precat so they've definitely been around for awhile. I'm in California though, with our crazy emission laws. Maybe they're not so strict where you are.

Back