Carbon edition and other "Special" editions - What's the deal?

What is Mazda up to when it comes to special editions for the Cx-5?

When I first heard about the Carbon edition, I thought everything would be blacked-out, including the trim and badges, but it looks like it's only half-blacked out. Red leather interior - ok, I guess, but other than that, It's just a blue paint color, and not even a new paint color, right? Now it sounds like these are all delayed and no dealerships have received one yet. I still might go check one out and hell, if I can get good financing, might trade up from my '19 Sig.

Anniversary model - in white, some extra badges and carbon fiber - Interesting. This one seems to be less appealing to me.

Why can't Mazda just come out with an awesome limited edition model that has HP upgrade, HUD/Info upgrade, some interesting quirks and features, and a new rare paint color that you can only get with the limited edition run. Or allow us to customize. I know Mazda is going for the luxury-boring class customers, but I see there totally being a market for the speed-type crowd. Come on Mazda! Is Mazda just ultra-conservative now?

Which one are you looking forward to trying/buying? Are there other more interesting special editions I left out?

Honestly the only Mazda that appeals to me lately, besides the Miata which will always be one of the best cars on the road, is the AWD turbocharged 3. All the Mazda CUVs are nice and that CX-5 is by far the nicest in it's category, but I'm old enough to remember the RX-7 and 323 GTX and how fun they were to drive. But yeah, check out that 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus or whatever they call it. It looks nice.

I want Mazda to go back to it's Zoom-Zoom roots so much!!

Why can't Mazda just come out with an awesome limited edition model that has HP upgrade, HUD/Info upgrade, some interesting quirks and features, and a new rare paint color that you can only get with the limited edition run.

Because mechanical and electronic upgrades cost a fortune and cosmetic stuff like paint, wheels, a new interior color, reshuffling options, etc. cost almost nothing. I think the major appeal of the new CE trim is that it lowers the cost of entry to the turbo by $3K (or more if you don't want/need AWD). As you point out, it's not the Mazdaspeed CX-5 that many are hoping Mazda will build. I just don't think Mazda has the money right now to develop this sort of car.

We'll see when it hits the lots, but at least on the 3, the polymetal color is a lot more gray and less blue than the CX-5 studio photos floating around on the net.

- Mark

What is Mazda up to when it comes to special editions for the Cx-5?

When I first heard about the Carbon edition, I thought everything would be blacked-out, including the trim and badges, but it looks like it's only half-blacked out. Red leather interior - ok, I guess, but other than that, It's just a blue paint color, and not even a new paint color, right? Now it sounds like these are all delayed and no dealerships have received one yet. I still might go check one out and hell, if I can get good financing, might trade up from my '19 Sig.

Anniversary model - in white, some extra badges and carbon fiber - Interesting. This one seems to be less appealing to me.

Why can't Mazda just come out with an awesome limited edition model that has HP upgrade, HUD/Info upgrade, some interesting quirks and features, and a new rare paint color that you can only get with the limited edition run. Or allow us to customize. I know Mazda is going for the luxury-boring class customers, but I see there totally being a market for the speed-type crowd. Come on Mazda! Is Mazda just ultra-conservative now?

Which one are you looking forward to trying/buying? Are there other more interesting special editions I left out?

The Carbon would be a downgrade for you. It is more on par with Touring trim, but adds the turbo motor.

We'll see when it hits the lots, but at least on the 3, the polymetal color is a lot more gray and less blue than the CX-5 studio photos floating around on the net.
- Mark
It changes a fair bit dependent on the light

Attachments

• 20200822_131812.jpg
    20200822_131812.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 305
  • 20200822_131905.jpg
    20200822_131905.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 310
  • 20200823_110118.jpg
    20200823_110118.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 299
I wonder if these “special editions” are a stop gap to add some interest to the fifth year of the current model. And will it soldier on basically unchanged also for 2022 since the rumours are that the “all-new” CX-5 won’t arrive until 2023?

That is exactly what they are. Have to constantly do something "new" with today's culture.

Nissan got me with the 2020 Frontier. It is the same truck they have been producing since 2005, but for the final year they swapped in a completely new power train (which will be used in next years complete redesign as well). I bought one as they are a screaming good deal.

One plus in the Canadian versions is the additional option of a black car...that’s more “carbon edition” to me than the polymetal blue-grey. Consolation prize for not getting the new infotainment screen.

Back