Car takes several seconds to start when cranking

I have a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring that has about 130,000 miles. I recently changed the sparkplugs and the car runs great. The only issue is when you start the car up when cold, it turns over a couple of seconds before it starts. Even when warm it doesn't start as fast as it should. When it starts it runs fine. My daughter is now driving it to school and I don't want her to get stranded. Any ideas on what I can do to alleviate the hard starts?

if you find a way to check the fuel pressure, you could check if you lose your fuel pressure after the car is turned off. I beleive the fuel pressure should stay for a little while in the lines. It might be it or not but that's the only thing that comes to my mind. I beleive there is some sort foa check valve usually in the pump, if it doesn't work all the fuel goes back to tank and it takes a little moment before it fills up on startup.

Thanks. I was going to change the fuel filter but it appears it is not easy to get to and that most people change it when the pump goes bad.

Next time you start it cold, cycle the key on/off a few times before starting.
Turn key to 'run' position for a few seconds (don't start it), then turn it off and on again for a few seconds and off and then start it.
If fuel pressure is bleeding down, it should start up quicker when doing it that way.

Now, the question is if it's a big issue or not. It could just be the 'check valve' in the fuel pump is not holding pressure when off, but has no issues when running....or it could be a sign of something failing.

Next time you start it cold, cycle the key on/off a few times before starting.
Turn key to 'run' position for a few seconds (don't start it), then turn it off and on again for a few seconds and off and then start it.
If fuel pressure is bleeding down, it should start up quicker when doing it that way.

Now, the question is if it's a big issue or not. It could just be the 'check valve' in the fuel pump is not holding pressure when off, but has no issues when running....or it could be a sign of something failing.

For me it hasn't been an issue but my concern now in asking is "Is it an issue" because my 17 year old daughter is driving it now to school and I don't want her to get stranded if something is on the way out.

Turn the key on but, no start for 2 seconds and then start. That gives the fuel system time to pump up to pressure. ed

Back