Can't Stop a Coolant Leak

kn8dude

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey all!

Im still learning alot when it comes to working on my cars. Last May my radiator failed, broke the thermostat, and caused the car to overheat and the coolant reservoir to boil over and warp. I took on the challenge of changing my radiator and waterpump then drove 5k miles cross country with no issues aside as occasional bubbling coming from the coolant reservoir (which is now slightly warped). Now thats its winter in MN, once the temperature got below freezing a month ago, i noticed my coolant kept getting low and found a drip coming from the left side of the engine underneath the waterpump housing.

So a few weeks ago I took it all apart again (way easier 2nd time round) and noticed that I never put on a gasket with the waterpump since my kit hadn't come with one and I had read a couple posts online that said they weren't necessary, I also didn't use torque specs as my understanding of that stuff was still new.

This time around I got a new gasket and a torque wrench and made sure everything was up to spec when putting it back together a 2nd time. It went well and I didn't notice a coolant leak after it was done, although my power steering fluid was leaking at the same time (it took another 2 times up on the lift to get the O-clamp tightened in the right place), but now that has been fixed and the power steering hasn't leaked since.

A few days after putting the gasket on my waterpump, I noticed a white smoke occasionally coming from my hood and a couple times inside of the passenger footwell of my car, but when I would stop to check I didnt find anything. Then 2 weekends ago, after I stayed home and didn't drive for 2 days, the next morning when I started my car it bellowed white mild smelling smoke from around my alternator (at least it looked to be coming from there, it was hard to tell.). I read that it was likely coolant burning off and since then it has smoked a couple times but the leak has gotten as bad as before and is dripping from the same area and Im noticing some coolant below the reservoir which I hadn't noticed before (possible that its from me spilling when filling it up so frequently). since i've been working crazy hours for the holidays I haven't been able to investigate. I have just been filling my coolant with up to 1/2 a quart a day to keep up with the leak. I am also noticing the bubbling coming from the reservoir when it gets low, Im guessing air in the lines?

On top of that I am recovering from an EGR valve replacement that dirtied up my intake and required a few times to spray cleaner inside to take care of the super rough idling/stalling issue I was having. Also my car battery was not functioning correctly and I just cleaned off the terminals after noticing a small amount of corrosion.

So my question, is what should I try now? what should I look for? Any Idea why its smoking now more than before and why replacing the gasket/torque specing the waterpump bolts wouldn't have solved this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Pump it up with a pressure tester (parts stores will loan you one) and look for leaks. That's all there is to it.

Back