Can no longer open rear hatch from remote with engine on in 2019 CX-5 Signature

dwm

2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red
I bought my 2019 CX-5 Signature in January 2019. For 13 months I was able to open or close the rear hatch remotely with the engine running. This is a really important feature for me.

TYPICAL SCENARIO:
It's damn cold out. I approach the locked car and open the rear hatch from the remote.
I throw things inside and lock the hatch either from remote or tact switch on hatch.
I unlock the car from remote or door handle button, get in and start engine.
While car is warming up I go inside house to get more stuff to put in trunk.
While approaching the car with hands full of boxes, I open the hatch from remote. (Car still running.)
I throw boxes inside and close the hatch either from remote or tact switch on hatch, then drive off.

I reach my destination. I turn engine off and raise hatch by holding down the interior hatch button.
I exit the car and lock the doors from the button on the door handle. (hatch still raised)
I remove my cargo and close the hatch either from remote or tact switch on hatch and walk away. Life is good.

Now I bring my car into my dealer for service. They replaced the tuner module in my infotainment system. When I pick up the car, I start the engine to warm it up (winter) and walk to the loaner car to get my briefcase. As I walked back to my car to throw briefcase in trunk, I depressed and held the rear hatch button on the remote and NOTHING. No hatch opening, no beep no nothing.

I walk back in and said "Hey, my hatch won't open from the remote". He comes outside and confirms this and says "We didn't reprogram anything, we just changed the
tuner module." He said when I bring the car back for its scheduled oil change in 3 days he will reprogram the remote. He had no time right then.

So I bring back the car 3 days later, and pick it up a few hours later with fresh oil and filter and he then tells me that car cannot be reprogrammed and this is the way it is supposed to work. Engine running, no opening or closing of the hatch from the remote. I verified this with another dealer and by trying this on another 2019 and a 2020 Signnature. WTF? For 13 months I WAS able to open or close the hatch remotely with engine on and did it often.

Another stupid change since that service call. If I stop the engine, open hatch, exit car and try to lock doors from the door handle button I cannot. But I CAN do it from the remote! How stupid is this?

Can anyone else open or close their hatch remotely with engine running?

I am so pissed that I can no longer open my hatch remotely when the engine is running. This is stupid.

Just checked mine. It all operates the way you say yours does now. Can't open tail gate with remote when engine is running. And can't lock the doors with door button when the hatch is open, but can lock it with remote.

My hatch will sometimes open using the button inside the car when the car is running, but most times not. Seems to only want to open using the interior button 1/10 times. Works fine when off.

With car running my 2018 CX5 will open the rear hatch with the dash switch only if the car is in Park.

86702406_2858788124164429_8131568217517719552_n.jpg

With car running my 2018 CX5 will open the rear hatch with the dash switch only if the car is in Park.
Even in park with the ebrake on, it doesn’t always work for me. Going to have to take it in for service/repair.

I have the same issue/result. I just noticed the other day coming out of the store... I remote-started the car as I was walking across the lot (because I can :)) and then tried to open the trunk with the remote. Nothing. When I got to the back of the car and pressed the trunk button, it opened right up.

Did dealer perform a TSB as per your copy of the service receipt?

There are so many combinations and permutations of door lock settings on these cars that it makes my eyes glaze over. In reading the manual on door locks (starts on Pg 3-11), it almost requires laying the ifs/thens out in a decision tree diagram.
-There are unlock behaviours that can be changed on the fob.
-There are auto-lock behaviours that are changed at the door button.
-There are behaviours that are changed in the infotainment system.

The manual seems to confirm what our dealer is telling you.
This is from the Liftgate section, Pg 3-23:

Operation using the transmitter

Press the power liftgate button for one second or more. The hazard warning lights flash twice and the liftgate opens/closes after the beep sounds. Refer to Transmitter on page 3-5.

NOTE
>When the ignition is switched ON, the transmitter does not operate.
>When opening the liftgate by pressing the power liftgate button on the transmitter, the liftgate can be opened even when it is locked.
>If the power liftgate button on the transmitter is pressed while the liftgate is opening/closing electrically, the beep is activated and the liftgate stops. When pressing the power liftgate button again, the liftgate moves in the reverse direction.

Door Lock Personalization Features are discussed under Section 9 (since the dealer got into the infotainment system):

>Door Locks are the bottom of Pg 9-14
>Keyless Entry is the top of Pg 9-15
>Next is Advanced keyless entry system

You may wish to scroll through them on screen to see if anything jumps out at you.

Good luck, man. What a pain for a function to disappear after a dealer visit and have everyone tell you it never existed in the first place.

found this helpful.

I've had problems getting the liftgate to open using the dash button when the engine's running. Since the doors auto-unlock when I put the transmission into Park, I bet it's because the Parking Brake was not on.

Thanks!

Went to the dealer this morning because rear hatch would not open no matter what. I also noticed that my battery seemed sluggish at starting these past few cold day even though my CX5 is garaged. The battery was installed by dealer (warranty) a few months back.

Here is what they did to correct hatch not opening and replace the battery.
1610397468526.png

If your car is on and your inside. You need to unlock the doors first then hit the physical hatch button to open it. Not sure about keys.
Yeah, this is a PITA to remember when you don't use it much. I think you might need the parking brake engaged too. I sat in a parking lot once pressing and pressing the inside button for the hatch with nothing but a beep. Got out and pressed the hatch button and it opened right up.
Finally figured out it was tied to the door locks. Still not sure if they need to be locked or unlocked but I will take your word on it.

I bought my 2019 CX-5 Signature in January 2019. For 13 months I was able to open or close the rear hatch remotely with the engine running. This is a really important feature for me.

TYPICAL SCENARIO:
It's damn cold out. I approach the locked car and open the rear hatch from the remote.
I throw things inside and lock the hatch either from remote or tact switch on hatch.
I unlock the car from remote or door handle button, get in and start engine.
While car is warming up I go inside house to get more stuff to put in trunk.
While approaching the car with hands full of boxes, I open the hatch from remote. (Car still running.)
I throw boxes inside and close the hatch either from remote or tact switch on hatch, then drive off.

I reach my destination. I turn engine off and raise hatch by holding down the interior hatch button.
I exit the car and lock the doors from the button on the door handle. (hatch still raised)
I remove my cargo and close the hatch either from remote or tact switch on hatch and walk away. Life is good.

Now I bring my car into my dealer for service. They replaced the tuner module in my infotainment system. When I pick up the car, I start the engine to warm it up (winter) and walk to the loaner car to get my briefcase. As I walked back to my car to throw briefcase in trunk, I depressed and held the rear hatch button on the remote and NOTHING. No hatch opening, no beep no nothing.

I walk back in and said "Hey, my hatch won't open from the remote". He comes outside and confirms this and says "We didn't reprogram anything, we just changed the
tuner module." He said when I bring the car back for its scheduled oil change in 3 days he will reprogram the remote. He had no time right then.

So I bring back the car 3 days later, and pick it up a few hours later with fresh oil and filter and he then tells me that car cannot be reprogrammed and this is the way it is supposed to work. Engine running, no opening or closing of the hatch from the remote. I verified this with another dealer and by trying this on another 2019 and a 2020 Signnature. WTF? For 13 months I WAS able to open or close the hatch remotely with engine on and did it often.

Another stupid change since that service call. If I stop the engine, open hatch, exit car and try to lock doors from the door handle button I cannot. But I CAN do it from the remote! How stupid is this?

Can anyone else open or close their hatch remotely with engine running?

I am so pissed that I can no longer open my hatch remotely when the engine is running. This is stupid.
My father had the same issue. After several attempts to repair it, the dealer was going to send it off to head office. End result and easy fix......the dealership opened the fob, cleaned, and replaced batteries. Works every time now.

Back