Calling on 2017 CX-5 Owners - Reliability

:
‘17 CX9 & ‘19 3 GT
Looking at a used 2017 CX5 GT trim with 45K kms/29K miles on it...can existing owners just chime in on so far how the reliability experience has been in almost 3 yrs of ownership. I know Mazda as a brand is reliable (having owned one) however would appreciate any real world feedback/experience. Thanks!

I'm at 35K and two years ownership of a '17 GS. Mechanically, the only issue has been the A/C "whoop" issue a couple others have had (expansion valve related).

From my owner perspective, the big miss in my 2017 (other than the 2.5T--it is underpowered, IMHO) is memory seats, which I think were buried in the premium package. Never thought it would bother me, but I struggle to find a neutral seating position in it.

You may find this useful, screenshot of CR's rankings from 2019.

consumerreportscx5.jpg

I’ve had my 2017 since June of 2017 when it had 4 miles on it. Now it has a little over 41k as of today. I’ve not had any issues with this car other than some squeaking from suspension when turning at certain angles (same issue with my 2014 mazda3). Been very reliable. This car has been solid, no rattles even with 20” wheels. I’m sure my next car will be Mazda as well, they’re very reliable.

2017 is my second Mazda, alignment needs a little more attention, other than that the car itself is a very good and reliable for me, excellent freeway and city driving, love the car.
the bottom line is on how the car was taken care of.

I currently drive a "16 GT and love it. No mechanical issues whatsoever in 4 years. I will say, as a partsman for a German brand, regular maintenance (like maz5188 alluded to) and care is the best way to ensure no big repairs before their time...

I've had a 2017 Touring since new and now has 45,000 miles on it. One issue I had was that the rear brake calipers froze due to inadequate lubrication of the caliper pins from the factory. I live in the "rust belt". I was out of warantee, so paid for new pads and rotors. The same thing happened to my 2013 CX-5, but was covered. The nav card just malfunctioned, but the dealer updated it and seems to be working. They said if it was still under warantee they could put an updated card in. Otherwise it would cost $500. I passed on that. The OEM tires were replaced with Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires, and have been working out very well.

i was one of the unlucky few, got a card from a defective batch. but the dealer replaced with an original new card (16Gb) made in Japan, map provided by "Here". couldn't be more happier than that.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Seems like for most part mechanically reliable...yes only way to determine how it was looked after is to review the service history.

Just my two cents: Had my '17 over two years with no mechanical problems at all. Engine, suspension, electronics all work perfectly.

My only gremlin was a creak in cold weather and the occasional rattle inside. Solved by turning up the radio. :)

I've had a 2017 Touring since new and now has 45,000 miles on it. One issue I had was that the rear brake calipers froze due to inadequate lubrication of the caliper pins from the factory. I live in the "rust belt". I was out of warantee, so paid for new pads and rotors. The same thing happened to my 2013 CX-5, but was covered. The nav card just malfunctioned, but the dealer updated it and seems to be working. They said if it was still under warantee they could put an updated card in. Otherwise it would cost $500. I passed on that. The OEM tires were replaced with Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires, and have been working out very well.
Sailwings, I just registered and you're my first reply on this site. Curious if your CrossClimate SUV tires are still 'working out very well' for you nine months later? Particularly, how do you rate them in the winter conditions? I'm having a set of 235/55R19 CrossClimates installed in two days here in Calgary and yours was the first post I saw where a CX-5 owner had some experience with them.

2017 CX-5 Grand Select AWD. Bought new.
No CD (cylinder deactivation), fewer problems.
0 issue. Super quiet.

Here is more information, you can look at common issues.

Study this video carefully. It shows what I've come to learn. The overall design is meant for relative easy access to change parts, to maintain fluids, metal construction on crucial parts, and simplicity (example: 6-speed transmission). That said rust could be an issue in heavy snow environments.

Now study this video on a VW Tiguan. Harder to access parts for maintenance, plastic construction on crucial parts, and added complexity on certain tasks (remove 8 screws to get to the air box?). Good use of aluminum in the chassis.

Sailwings, I just registered and you're my first reply on this site. Curious if your CrossClimate SUV tires are still 'working out very well' for you nine months later? Particularly, how do you rate them in the winter conditions? I'm having a set of 235/55R19 CrossClimates installed in two days here in Calgary and yours was the first post I saw where a CX-5 owner had some experience with them.

Aside from the CrossClimate tires, did you consider the Nokian WRG4? Heard the CrossClimates not as quiet due to road noise...I’ve had WRG3 and WRG4 and the WRG4s are quieter than the G3’s

Study this video carefully. It shows what I've come to learn. The overall design is meant for relative easy access to change parts, to maintain fluids, metal construction on crucial parts, and simplicity (example: 6-speed transmission).
If they said simplicity is good such as a 6-speed auto tranny, then they should praise the CVT which is much simpler. ;)

In reality, an 8-speed auto tranny is not much more complex than a 6-speed. As for relative easy access to change parts, to maintain fluids, metal construction on crucial parts, both are very similar. But the added benefit and efficiency on an 8-speed auto are obvious.

That said rust could be an issue in heavy snow environments.
Yes we’ve seen plenty of reports and comparison pictures showing the rust problem on Mazda CX-5 in snow belt areas. That’s why lots of Canadian CX-5 owners here suggesting rust-proofing the new CX-5.

Sailwings has a CX-5 Touring with 225/65R17 tires. Michelin CrossClimate SUV doesn’t come with 225/55R/19 size used on CX-5 19” wheels. Larger 235/55R19 tires will affect your speedometer and odometer a bit and all the on-board computer calculation based on such information. My stock Toyo A23 225’s are rubbing the front struts with black marks. I’d imagine 235 tires would be even worse with factory wheels.

Tire Recommendations?

Continental CrossContact LX25 vs Michelin CrossClimate SUV (17 inch)?

I'm a little late to the party. As much as I love my 2017 Touring, I have had two issues. I had to replace the AC Blower since it went out and the most major was transmission slipping at 59k miles. Mazda was able to repair by replacing the transmission valve body. It was covered under the 60k mile powertrain warranty. That fixed the issue but man it was a close call.

Back