Cabin noise reduced in 2020s?

My 2 cents...

If you only have one CX-5 you won't notice a difference because you don't have another one to compare it to.
I guess it's safe to say the 20s are quieter than the other years, but you need to decide if paying new car price is worth it for a slight difference in noise level. I have a 19 CX-5 and I think it is plenty quiet, don't even think about road noise while driving. Sure, an even quieter cabin would be nice but the CX-5 is already excellent in the NVH department. Humans have an incredible ability to tune out ambient noise anyway. Point is, I think you'll be satisfied regardless of which year you end up with.

I need to amend what I said earlier. I've deleted that earlier post to avoid future confusions.

Here's what Consumer Reports said about the 2020, some sort of consensus among a few test drivers:

"Due to the added weight that achieved a quieter cabin, fuel economy is down by one to a still competitive 24 mpg overall." They were harkening back to the prior gen 2016, not mid-gen alterations. Further, "Noise isolation is another CX-5 asset. It has one of the quietest cabins in the non-luxury compact SUV segment." They were testing the 2.5 normally aspirated gasoline engine.

Here's what they said about a like 2017 version:

"Noise abatement was another big focus of the redesign, and major fixes such as the addition of carpeting and seals in the right areas, as well as thicker glass, have yielded arguably the quietest cabin in the non-luxury compact SUV segment."

I found the earlier post where a guy said he thought they beefed up the door weather stripping. He said he thought that was a mid-2016 or 2017 alteration, not 2019/2020 as I said earlier.

I suspect you'd not find an appreciative difference in cabin noise across years in the current generation. The thing to do is go to a dealer and test drive a 2020 as a baseline, including a ramp run then a cruise at expressway speed. Then if you see a a prior year used vehicle that looks attractive, go drive that and compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2020 CX-5 is a quiet car. Its nearly as quiet as my previous Mercedes S550. I can't comment on whether they made changes throughout this generation, but I will say compared to my mom's '18 Honda CRV this car is significantly quieter. The refinement at this price is one of the main reasons I bought this car.

I often leave my radio off in my new 20 GT just to enjoy the tranquility. It’s an extremely quiet vehicle. Double door seals do exist and cause issues closing at times.

My 2019 Signature is *really* quiet. It amazes me just how quiet the cabin is, even after a year of ownership.

I also have a 2019 Signature and that’s my experience too. I’m coming off of many years of Acura ownership and experienced lots of wind and tire noise compared to the CX-5.

When I was looking at reviews before I bought my 2019 it was claimed Mazda made improvements on reducing cabin noise from previous years.

also have a 2019 Signature and that’s my experience too. I’m coming off of many years of Acura ownership and experienced lots of wind and tire noise compared to the CX-5.

I came from a 2009 Mazda 6 and the difference was night and day. When I took the CX5 out for a test drive, I couldn't believe how quiet it was.

When I was looking at reviews before I bought my 2019 it was claimed Mazda made improvements on reducing cabin noise from previous years.

I don't know how much is true or not, but I was told by representatives at the 2019 Toronto Car Show, AND by the dealer that Mazda employed some kind of new technology in the windows, and how they seal within the housing that really reduces sound at ear level - I don't know how true that is, but.. I can only tell you my '19 Signature is whisper quiet.

Anyone else notice the difference between 19 and 20 doors opening and closing ?

The 20 sounds like there is some level of suction when opening. And when closing it just feels more solid, less of A hollow thud.

I‘Ve confirmed this on 3 20s. I suppose there could be an issue with my 19 GTR. I also think the suspension is softer on the GTR.

Last edited:
I loved my 2019 Sig dearly, but my dealer offered me a trade-in deal that couldn't be denied, so now I'm tooling about in an identical 2020 Sig.

It is definitely quieter. I note the door seals are different, and there are reports of many subtle changes such as a new headliner layer.

My 2020 has some breaking-in to do, but so far I'd say the 2019's engine sounded a little more musical.

any chance for pictures?
thanks.

the online parts catalog is not yet updated for 2020 to confirm the part numbers of the seals 19' vs 20'. could be an easy upgrade if the shape is the same or simillar.

According to Consumer Reports Magazine, the most noticeable change in quietness for the CX5 came in 2018.
Side note. The quietest non-luxury vehicle is the Chevrolet Bolt (EV), which is as quiet as vehicles costing twice as much.

Last edited:
Honestly, our '17 CX5 is pretty quiet.
However, from MazdaUSA's official news release, they did make some improvements on NVH. No specifics, though.

" The 2020 Mazda CX-5 receives numerous refinements at every trim level, from performance upgrades to more standard safety features. Mazda engineers have also improved the noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) of the SUV to further reduce road noise for an even more peaceful ride. "

My 2020 have the same cabin noise as my brothers 2017,- when i drive with open windows 😆 😆
In fact, 2020 is significantly quieter in the cabin compared to 2017.
I understand Mazda has been using laminated glass for a few years now, which would make the car safer and quieter. Here's a section from a CX-5 review - Mazda attributes this to more welds, acoustic laminated glass in front, extra door seals, and more sound insulation in the floor.
The only issue with laminated glass is if you had to break yourself out from the car, it's very difficult to break or shatter -
I don't know if Mazda's glass is as strong as the laminated glass in this video, but it's significantly stronger than tempered.

yes front side windows are the same. triplex basically. doesnt break easily at all and doesnt shatter to small particles.
which I personally think is great - having front side windows smashed by thieves on my previous cars and cleaning afterwards was a pita.

Used to be a thing of luxury brand in the past but a lot of new non luxury cars nowadays have it too.

Anyone else notice the difference between 19 and 20 doors opening and closing ?

The 20 sounds like there is some level of suction when opening. And when closing it just feels more solid, less of A hollow thud.

I‘Ve confirmed this on 3 20s. I suppose there could be an issue with my 19 GTR. I also think the suspension is softer on the GTR.
Could be a slight difference in the compression of the gasket after a year. I frequently apply 303 to all the door gaskets.

Back