Cabin Filtration CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the Mazda CX-5 cabin filter provide any protection against Covid? I'm guessing it's better than the scarf I see most wearing in the stores.

Thanks

I upgraded my cabin filter almost on day one (a year ago) to a HEPA filter. As far as I can tell, Bosch is the only one to make one. It does reduce the airflow some and require a higher fan speed, but that is because it is a genuine HEPA and has thicker filter media. I do prefer it to the carbon filter. Carbon filters work very well for a short time. I use carbon filters in my air purifier at home, they are very effective at trapping dust but only for a few weeks. HEPA filters last a long time, good for up to a year.

I seriously doubt Covid is entering your vehicle through the air system. If any particles at all are getting to the inside of your car, it's you (or your passengers) that brought them there.

Cabin air filters primarily prevent allergens or pollutants from entering the cabin while driving. No one I've heard of has caught Covid from the truck driver in the next lane ;)

That does bring up the point of "why do people wear masks while driving around in their cars" and the only reasons I can come us with are 1. Uber/Lyft drivers, 2. Recent stop at a drive-thru that possibly introduced particles into the cabin, 3. frequent stops (delivery drivers, etc).

I think yes a HEPA filter would help provide another layer of protection (above the normal carbon filter or even a plain paper filter):

However -- what really are you asking?

First some basic education:
COVID is an airborne (aerosol / droplet) spreading pathogen. The virus it self does not travel well (far), however it can hitch a ride on another media (think water droplets from a sneeze) and thus travel better (further).

" As of June 16, 2020, the position of the CDC is that the coronavirus is primarily transmitted by person-to-person contact and by contact with virus-laden droplets expelled through coughing and sneezing. "

Now you are in your car, windows presumably rolled up; re-circulation on. You are healthy, your passengers are healthy (same household family). You are NOT going to sit in traffic and be exposed to COVID. Why?

1) distance; the possible COVID person in the next car is greater than the standard 6FT (2M) distance known for "common" safety margins
2) wind; there is wind even on a calm day, this is gonna make travel of the pathogen not in a straight line, and often turbulence will force it to the ground or above your vehicle.
3) your windows are up
4) if the pathogen does float to the vehicle, it will then stick to the first thing it encounters (vehicle); the water droplets disperse and the virus will then be exposed to the harsh world and quickly break down / die.

So yes every barrier you place between you and COVID REDUCES the chances that pathogen getting onto your bodies mucous membrane (eyes, nose, mouth). In vehicle transmission from an external source (outside the vehicle / windows up) would be VERY rare (id say statically 0) and I couldn't find a scientific journal today 8/14/2020 that stated this type of transmission was a concern.

====

Now you say -- I do ride/share service providing as a living / supplemental income. This is a whole different world. You are inviting possible COVID carrying people into the vehicle on an ongoing basis. All the big players in ride sharing have released preventive measures, but again they reduce not eliminate the risk. Each person in the vehicle should wear a face covering CORRECTLY (this means over the nose and mouth). Air vents should be set to extreme high or low position (force air up or down) - not into the face of other passengers. Clean the interior of the car after each passenger. And I've seen recommendations to keep at least one window rolled down slightly to help the exchange of air while moving (reducing the concentration of possible pathogen air). Your cabin filter in this case is gonna be a factor at reducing risk, but really not as much as your face covering.

Be safe - read the science and get off facebook. :)

I have seen far too many people driving around with a mask on for them to all be ride share or delivery drivers. I attribute it to ignorance/paranoia/general stupidity. Like people out taking a walk without another human being within hundreds of yards wearing a mask.
My favorite so far was a rather haggard looking lady with a hole poked through her surgical mask and a Marlboro hanging out.
The virus is not just hanging in the air like nuclear fallout where it is going to come through your car vents or get you while taking a stroll down a country road.

I have seen far too many people driving around with a mask on for them to all be ride share or delivery drivers. I attribute it to ignorance/paranoia/general stupidity. Like people out taking a walk without another human being within hundreds of yards wearing a mask.
My favorite so far was a rather haggard looking lady with a hole poked through her surgical mask and a Marlboro hanging out.
The virus is not just hanging in the air like nuclear fallout where it is going to come through your car vents or get you while taking a stroll down a country road.

Driver crashed his car, presumably due to wearing an N95 mask for a prolonged period of time (several hours). Why they were wearing a mask is anyone's guess - they were alone in the car.

Driver crashed his car, presumably due to wearing an N95 mask for a prolonged period of time (several hours). Why they were wearing a mask is anyone's guess - they were alone in the car.

" As it relates to this specific incident, we reiterate that police officers are not physicians and do not know the medical history of every person we encounter "

Yeah non medical professionals making statements of medical outcomes.. superb. /sarcasm

" As it relates to this specific incident, we reiterate that police officers are not physicians and do not know the medical history of every person we encounter "

Yeah non medical professionals making statements of medical outcomes.. superb. /sarcasm

The article states that "The driver of a single-car crash in Lincoln Park, New Jersey, is "believed" to have passed out behind the wheel after wearing an N-95 mask for too long". They did not say that with 100% certainty, they said they "believed" that to be the case. On top of that, the article uses words like "presumed" and "may".

I just posted the article as a reply to DwightFrye's post, supporting the idea that some drivers might wear masks in their cars because of ignorance/paranoia, even when there is no need.

Watch for the uptick in Carbon dioxide poisoning.

Watch for any reason for people to point at an isolated incident they don't fully understand and don't have all the facts of and say "yeah see.. I could die if I wear this mask.." 'Karen' I am looking at you.

Professional painters
Professional autobody
Professional cabinet makers
the list goes on

All have been wearing N95 masks for decades for the protection of their lungs due to their harsh environment. If there had been any medical reason for N95 masks to be redesigned or a warning label placed on them for use by now such data would have been revealed.

Simply stated there were underlying medical conditions, the article/headline was click bait.

Want to know what works -- check what New Zealand did.
They headed the advice, guidance, expertise of their scientific experts, the politicians stayed out of the camera and the society as a whole got safe / healthy quickly.

/ahh air filtration -- everyone is a keyboard scientist now.

Everyone doesn't need to wear N95 on a daily basis - a basic face covering will do wonders for reduction in transmission to and from your fellow humans. If you are directly interacting with people on going, and there is no alternatives then sure wear the N95 rated mask. But to the mailbox and to the grocery store with social distancing rules in place.. nah a properly worn facial covering with material not lace/mesh/wide disperse fibers will be just fine.

Stop rubbing your eyes, stop putting your fingers in your nose/mouth. Cover sneezes / coughs with your inner elbow not your hand.

When you get home, take the mask off, place it in a designated area [some people put a shoebox at the front door and the masks go in there] (wash face covering daily if fabric / use a new one daily if using paper based like surgical masks), wash your hands THEN proceed to do what ever. Common sense people -- a little science knowledge goes a LONG way.

Tks for the great responses. To be clear... my wife is a RN and she's the one worried about everything. I could care less when I'm in the car. She does suffer from CO-2 headaches after every hospital shift.

Watch for any reason for people to point at an isolated incident they don't fully understand and don't have all the facts of and say "yeah see.. I could die if I wear this mask.." 'Karen' I am looking at you.

Professional painters
Professional autobody
the list goes on

All have been wearing N95 masks for decades for the protection of their lungs due to their harsh environment. If there had been any medical reason for N95 masks to be redesigned or a warning label placed on them for use by now such data would have been revealed.

Simply stated there was underlying medical conditions, the article/headline was click bait and I am guessing the officers quoted were of the camp "yeah our constitutional rights are being impeded" crowd and use this opportunity for their platform.

Want to know what works -- check what New Zealand did.
They headed the advice, guidance, expertise of their scientific experts, the politicians stayed out of the camera and the society as a whole got safe / healthy quickly.

/ahh air filtration -- everyone is a keyboard scientist now.

Everyone doesn't need to wear N95 on a daily basis - a basic face covering will do wonders for reduction in transmission to and from your fellow humans. If you are directly interacting with people on going, and there is no alternatives then sure wear the N95 rated mask. But to the mailbox and to the grocery store with social distancing rules in place.. nah a properly worn facial covering with material not lace/mesh/wide disperse fibers will be just fine.

Stop rubbing your eyes, stop putting your fingers in your nose/mouth. Cover sneezes / coughs with your inner elbow not your hand.

When you get home, take the mask off, place it in a designated area [some people put a shoebox at the front door and the masks go in there] (wash face covering daily if fabric / use a new one daily if using paper based like surgical masks), wash your hands THEN proceed to do what ever. Common sense people -- a little science knowledge goes a LONG way.

Professional painters
Professional autobody

If the people in these professions used a N95 for protection, they wouldn't be doing it for long because they would be sick or dead.

A respirator is required for those workers! Paint and those types of chemicals contain volatile compounds that pass straight through a N95 mask and into your lungs. A respirator contains, not only filters, but also carbon cartridges to remove VOCs (volatile organic compounds).

Reactions: Jim
I'm going to try to be polite with this one - I'm not judging yes or no about your concern in your car as I don't judge the risk tolerance of others ( I gave up MC riding and wouldn't sky dive or bunge jump), but if you're worried about catching C-19 in your car from outside air, I wouldn't be going out at all.

This thread has run its course and is now closed.

Please remember that we’re here to discuss Mazdas and related topics in a friendly way. Also remember that responses need be on topic and as helpful as possible for the benefit of the Community.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back