Bye Bye Diesel

The diesel is going away in the CX-5...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35216165/mazda-cx-5-diesel-dead/
I thought this’s an old news? Diesel CX-5 was first available in 2019 model year, and got dropped in 2020 MY. Big mistake by Mazda, especially the 2.2D comes with very poor fuel economy to US market, and more bad news on reliability issue mainly by sudden overheating without any warnings.

Did someone say diesel? :p Resident 247 North American Unicorn Diesel fan-boi checkin' in (Yawl knew I'd be along shortly, didn't ya? :LOL:)

Ya, ya, mazda marketing North America blunder. Coming up on 1 year with mine now and 19k miles. Love my diesel! I haven't driven my brothers 2.5 turbo signature in awhile for comparison again but did have a loaner cx9 touring with the 2.5 turbo and couldn't wait to get my diesel back from service!

MPG's have been 32.5 typical week of work/running around and 35.5 solid highway driving. DPF regen's about every 250-300mi. The DEF juice usage has been pretty non existent using about 1/2 gallon for those 19k miles. Trailer towing is fantastic.

Sure has been a sweet ride for under $29k. We'll see how long the fun lasts ;)

I'm surprised people haven't bought the lightly used diesel's with the CPO powertrain warranty to 100k miles.

Did someone say diesel? :p Resident 247 North American Unicorn Diesel fan-boi checkin' in (Yawl knew I'd be along shortly, didn't ya? :LOL:)

Ya, ya, mazda marketing North America blunder. Coming up on 1 year with mine now and 19k miles. Love my diesel! I haven't driven my brothers 2.5 turbo signature in awhile for comparison again but did have a loaner cx9 touring with the 2.5 turbo and couldn't wait to get my diesel back from service!

MPG's have been 32.5 typical week of work/running around and 35.5 solid highway driving. DPF regen's about every 250-300mi. The DEF juice usage has been pretty non existent using about 1/2 gallon for those 19k miles. Trailer towing is fantastic.

I'm surprised people haven't bought the lightly used diesel's with the CPO powertrain warranty to 100k miles.
I'm jealous. I really wanted a diesel and held out for a long time for them to sell one. If I could have gotten one of those smoking deals, I probably would have, in spite of the brown on black interior.

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a 2017+ model CX-5. I've heard that the older models of the diesel specifically have had a lot of issues in the past. I was wondering if Mazda have solved the issues they had with the diesel in later models?

Anyone done a proper comparison between the petrol and diesel versions?

@vorno In the US or elsewhere because in the US the diesel CX-5 is almost non-existent. We have one forum member I think.

To be honest, I wouldn’t get a diesel CX-5, too many issues and expensive unless you do many many miles per year.

If you are outside the US, get either a French or German diesel. :)

Anyone ever seen any reports on how many were brought into Canada and the US?

Wasn't the 626 sold with a diesel for one year only in US ('84 or '85)?

I saw a few online for sale, but the $43k-ish price killed it for me. Sad. I would have liked to have one. Still, the 2 to 3 mpg improvement can't cover the +20% fuel premium, never mind the additional capital cost. Finally, the several UK reports of cooling problems and blown head gaskets always left me thinking it was not ready for primetime.

Oh hey, Canadian diesel owner here. Also love mine. Got it used for $32K CAD. Same MPG as reported HyFlyer. I also tow with mine.

Back