Buying a Child seat

Hello,
I have already searched the forum but did not find much on the subject of child seats. Do you have experience and tips on buying? It would also be nice to know which seats have served you well so far.

Can’t remember infant seats but for toddler, I've had a grecico forever. Works great. Sister in law did all the research on it.

Chico keyfit 30 for infant and chico nextfit zip. Both can be mounted very easily and very securely. Once in, I always felt they were more secure than the exact same ones I have in my 2017 crv.

All of them have to adhere to the same very strict safety standards. Just get the one that fits your budget.

All of them have to adhere to the same very strict safety standards. Just get the one that fits your budget.
True, but some are much easier to use than others. I do like my Britax Boulevard convertable seat's easy of installation in the car, if you are moving it between cars a bunch it is much simpler.

The Diono ones are nice and narrow but in rearward mode they are quite long and can be hard to fit in some cars. I couldn't fit it in my wife's civic without the passenger seat all the way up.

Go to a store that lets you try them in your car first to see what you like and don't like and the fit inside of the car.

Also, if you're not exactly sure how to install a car seat correctly, and don't be ashamed as many first time parents truly don't know, stop by your local firehouse. The guys at the station will be more than happy to show you the right way to install the seat.

Even if you already have it installed, and just want to reassure yourself, stop by anyway and ask them to verify it's in right.

In my CX-9, I use a Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35 for my 1 month old (also used it for my first kid, who is now 3 years old). That said, the Graco is pretty big, so I'm not sure if it would fit the 2nd row of the CX-5. The 3yo now uses a Diono Radian 3RXT.

Both are ok to use. Personally I really like the Uppababy Mesa for an infant car seat - my sister has it and the SMARTSecure System is much, MUCH easier to use than the traditional system on the two seats that I have.

I’m running the peg Perego travel system. Currently have it in the center of my rear seat. Allows for more room in the rear and also read that it’s safer in t-bone accidents.

Attachments

• D76D84C3-B735-4CD4-A338-BC4F06E332F7.jpeg
    D76D84C3-B735-4CD4-A338-BC4F06E332F7.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 118
Hello kimich
I have a Cybex Solution Fix in my car and a Römer Evolva (here is a comparison of the two seats https://productz.com/en/britax-romer-evolva-1-2-3-vs-cybex-solution-s-fix/v/9RQz5-52YER ) in my wife's car. I must say that I am very satisfied with both seats, the Römer has no Isofix, but is not worse than the Cybex and my daughter sits actually even better in it. Both seats are designed up to 12 years.
Just so you know the new seats have improved side impact protection, but are wider as a result.

Last edited:
Chico keyfit 30 for infant and chico nextfit zip. Both can be mounted very easily and very securely. Once in, I always felt they were more secure than the exact same ones I have in my 2017 crv.
So we are getting a grandbaby soon, and the Chicco Keyfit 30 or 35 has been selected by the kids. Do you need some sort of mat or towel under the base to keep the seat material from being permanently marred?

Thanks

So we are getting a grandbaby soon, and the Chicco Keyfit 30 or 35 has been selected by the kids. Do you need some sort of mat or towel under the base to keep the seat material from being permanently marred?

Thanks
We didn't in my wife's civic with leather seats. We have a mat for the convertible car seat we got after.

One nice thing about the Keyfit is we got a second base for ours so it made it easy to swap between cars. Another thing you can look out for too is a cheap used one and take the cover off so you could have a backup cover for when s*** goes wrong XD. Blowouts will happen!

Thanks
While I don't think it's absolutely necessary, we used one.

Thanks
I had a mat under the seats the whole time. The seats bounced back after a day or two if it was warm out. The mats are mostly there to catch the dirt and food and occasional projectile vomit. Get a mat that covers the whole seat. Yes I learned from experience.

Thank you! Sounds like we need mats! Not so much for protection of the seats from the car seat base but protection of the seats from other mishaps!

Kids are really disgusting as you'll soon find out. Forget about keeping a clean car from here on out. Once they're old enough to clean the car, then and only then will you start having a clean car again.

When we first had kids back in the late 90's, I went and bought a Ford Windstar minivan with leather seats. Why leather? Because bodily fluids and food remnants wipe off of leather!

By the way, with the Windstar, the center row seats lifted right out. We took them out and left the car seats in the third row.

It.
Was.
Amazing.

It left that whole center area of the van to change diapers and whatnot, plus, it was beyond super easy to get the kids in and out because you had all the room in the world!

Are you double latching?

Curious about this as well. I wanted to put the infant car seat in the center seat and my daughter's front-facing seat in one of the outboard seats. I tried securing the infant seat using the seatbelt and didn't like it, so I used the Latch system. Daughter's seat had to be belted in as a result and again, I didn't like it, but I couldn't use the Latch system because one of the hooks was being used by the infant seat.

I ended up just putting them in the outboard seats, using the Latch system for both.

When using the latch system there is a maximum weight before you have to switch to seat belt installs.

Back