Buy it or should I run away? 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD 2.5L 142k miles, List price 8k.

When I was considering a Japanese car, I did a little investigating.

The consensus is that German automotive paint is the most durable, Japanese is the least durable, and everything else falls somewhere in the middle.

Funny that we live in a age where hitting 100,000 is the minimum expectation (when that used to be a rare milestone), but we don't expect the daggone paint to hold up.

(That was more of a joke because of the constant complaints and questions about it). My paint does, indeed, look like s*** though. So I am starting to believe it ain't so great.

You're a mod now? When did that happen? Congrats!

Lol sorry, sarcasm doesn't translate well and I sometimes miss the joke. Hope my reply didn't come off as standoffish.

Mod status came this weekend! Still reading up on responsibilities and learning the ropes.

The consensus is that German automotive paint is the most durable, Japanese is the least durable, and everything else falls somewhere in the middle.

Funny that we live in a age where hitting 100,000 is the minimum expectation (when that used to be a rare milestone), but we don't expect the daggone paint to hold up.
My 2015 Mazda 6 had 116K miles when I traded it in for my CX-5. The paint was in phenomenal shape. I was pretty darn happy with it, considering the number of freeway miles I accumulated. And the car drove like the day I originally bought it.
The only reason I traded it in was car envy. A month prior my wife bought a CX-5. I loved the way it drove and all the amenities in it. Last June I went in for an oil change and left with a brand new CX-5. I am equally, if not more happy with my CX-5 as I was with the 6.

I no longer have a job that requires distance driving. My 7 month old CX-5 has 6.5K miles on it and the paint looks pristine.

Here is a tip. Don't get too close to the car in front of you on the freeway. The grit the car in front of you kicks off will sandblast your front bumper no matter the car manufacturer.

I go well out of my way to keep distance between me and the guy in front. You're not taking to a rookie here. 😜

Last June I went in for an oil change and left with a brand new CX-5.

I like your style!!!

Here is a tip. Don't get too close to the car in front of you on the freeway. The grit the car in front of you kicks off will sandblast your front bumper no matter the car manufacturer.

That's an interesting point. Never occurred to me. The only issue I've ever had has been a number of broken windshields living outside of DC during the "always under construction" boom years. Damn trucks never follow the "cover your load" laws. Those rocks kick high & far.

Can't avoid those bridges though. Tiny stone flew off an overpass and cracked my windshield this past summer.

True, and I also try to avoid driving behind or close to trucks. Offroad tires can throw stones so you don't want to be driving near a vehicle with loud mud terrain tires on the highway.

Paint on mid 2000's VW and BMW cars I had came with pretty good paint. I heard Tesla paint is the worse:(

Paint on mid 2000's VW and BMW cars I had came with pretty good paint. I heard Tesla paint is the worse:(

I've heard the same about Tesla paint, but moreso the low finishing quality of the OEM paint (i.e. paint runs, overspray, etc.), not the durability.

German paints are still some of the most durable paints I think. But harder paints are more difficult to correct, while softer paints are much easier.

At the end of the day, IMO, it comes down to the severity of the collision/repair. If there was no frame damage, panels fit together well enough, and the paint matches closely enough, I'd have no problem buying this CX-5 as a daily driver (but I would fight for a lower price to account for the accident/repair history).

Unless you feel you must have a CX5, I would look for another make, like a TOYOTA or HONDA is the same price range with less miles and no damage. As a second thought maybe an older MAZDA sedan with less miles and no damage. Ed

Unless you feel you must have a CX5, I would look for another make, like a TOYOTA or HONDA is the same price range with less miles and no damage. As a second thought maybe an older MAZDA sedan with less miles and no damage. Ed
Just for grins, I went on Carmax and searched nationwide for anything at $8k or under.

They have (3) Hondas, (16) Toyotas and (12) Mazdas ranging from 82,000 miles to 130,000 miles.

Here's the list.

By the way, where's the OP? Maybe he already bought the CX-5.

Back