Burning CDs to MP3 to play on Infotainment

And as the tedium sets in of ripping (you used the term right) just think: you will soon be carrying your entire CD collection...in the palm of your hand. [emoji106]

Appreciate the info about the CD to MP3. I didn't know that one could fit so many songs onto a USB drive. Now it makes sense WHY there isn't a CD player in newer vehicles. If I can get 100's of songs onto a single USB drive, it beats carrying a CD case with CDs and swapping them constantly.

Right? Mine are all on my phone. We'll "go there" next. Haha
It's just awesome that I have my entire collection with me always. It's nice when traveling too.

And as the tedium sets in of ripping (you used the term right) just think: you will soon be carrying your entire CD collection...in the palm of your hand. [emoji106]

Stage two is realizing that you could also have access to 20+ million songs in the palm of your hand by subscribing to Spotify or Apple Music :p

Question to the group: Is there a service out the you would recommend so I can send in CDs to be converted onto a USB drive? I feel pretty silly but our computers at work don't even have CD drives any more. Our new CX5 doesn't come with a CD player but we would like to convert the CDs for something we can just plug into to the car. I assume plugging in the USB will work with the Mazda infotainment, right?

Question to the group: Is there a service out the you would recommend so I can send in CDs to be converted onto a USB drive? I feel pretty silly but our computers at work don't even have CD drives any more. Our new CX5 doesn't come with a CD player but we would like to convert the CDs for something we can just plug into to the car. I assume plugging in the USB will work with the Mazda infotainment, right?

Buy a CD / DVD reader burner drive that plugs into your computers USB port. $15-$20.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Thanks and what program do I use after I purchase the USB CD drive?

Lot of choices, some were mentioned in the beginning of this thread, but you can also just use the software that comes pre installed with windows.

Just try using Windows Media player. That's what I use, easy and great sound. Select the highest bit rate/quality.

One more thing for those new to using USB drives, when you want to switch to a different drive in a slot, make sure the program source is set for something else, ie. AM/FM, so you're sure the drive isn't being accessed while you're making the switch. That's the easiest way to prevent an "aww s@$#%^&" moment ruining a drive.

Lot of choices, some were mentioned in the beginning of this thread, but you can also just use the software that comes pre installed with windows.

Right? Did he really ask that? LOL Teasing bro, but the first 2 pages of the thread was a discussion about what to use.

Problem is, Microsoft is trying to strong arm everyone into using the new Windows 10 MUSIC app. Which frankly sucks.
Windows Media Player is still in 10, for now, but I am guessing its days are numbered too.
Maybe another reason to support Media Monkey. ;)

Media Monkey is not making things easy. It sometimes doesn't want to rip the CD to MP3 and claims the file already exists but it doesn't.

Frustrating...

Media Monkey is not making things easy. It sometimes doesn't want to rip the CD to MP3 and claims the file already exists but it doesn't.

Frustrating...

Try WMP again.

Try dbpoweramp.

I'll give it a shot. Is it bug free and easy to use?

MediaMonkey is very buggy and not easy to use. The menu is very convoluted and I've had bad rips that had skips and repeated rips of the same song. Very frustrating and time consuming.

Sorry you had trouble with it.
I used dbpoweramp ages ago. Worth a shot.

Sorry you had trouble with it.
I used dbpoweramp ages ago. Worth a shot.

I downloaded the dbpoweramp trial version, so far it looks a lot better than MediaMonkey. Better formatting and ease of use. If I like it, I will buy it for $40 when the 21 day trial ends.

UPDATE:
dbpoweramp is working out great so far. Album art, ripping and clean rips. Way better than MediaMonkey.

Last edited:
Back