Burning CDs to MP3 to play on Infotainment

I bought some 32GB USB drives from Amazon. I tried MediaMonkey and it worked great. I did the high-quality 300k MP3 recordings. Plus it shows the album artist and artwork on the Infotainment unit.

I bought some 32GB USB drives from Amazon. I tried MediaMonkey and it worked great. I did the high-quality 300k MP3 recordings. Plus it shows the album artist and artwork on the Infotainment unit.

Burn your CD's to Flac. This is a lossless format, meaning you don't lose any info from your music. This is best for your home stereo when you get a network player with a built in DAC. At this point you'll never use your CD's again.

With your Flac files you can convert them to whatever you want, MP3, WAVE, AIFF, Apple lossless...etc. That way you'll always have your CD's in the best format for playback. I use dbpoweramp but your MediaMonkey should do the same things. You can try WAVE to see if you can tell the difference which is lossless and works in our Mazda's but it takes up much more room then MP3's. MP3's are good for car audios but try and burn them to 320kbps for the best results.

Look at Audacious. It works very well. I keep and use a copy of RealPlayer 10.x on my win7 box. RealPlayer is/was excellent for pulling artist/song names.

Defensive? I was not being defensive?
You said we shouldn't tell people to do that. I replied: I'm not.
Just having a convo.
Anyway.... I think last poster meant Audacity. That's an amazing program but for ripping CDs, WMP & MM are better.
And to beat the conversation into the ground, my music is actually on the SD Card in my phone. Since it's not on the phones internal memory it has a much better chance of surviving getting wet. [emoji38]

Last edited:
Burn your CD's to Flac. This is a lossless format, meaning you don't lose any info from your music. This is best for your home stereo when you get a network player with a built in DAC. At this point you'll never use your CD's again.

With your Flac files you can convert them to whatever you want, MP3, WAVE, AIFF, Apple lossless...etc. That way you'll always have your CD's in the best format for playback. I use dbpoweramp but your MediaMonkey should do the same things. You can try WAVE to see if you can tell the difference which is lossless and works in our Mazda's but it takes up much more room then MP3's. MP3's are good for car audios but try and burn them to 320kbps for the best results.

I would then have to burn it twice? Once from CD to Flac and then from Flac to MP3? So much work! (hide)

I will probably just do the MP3 in 320kbps

Exactly. Screw that. Go right to 320 mp3 and don't look back.
What really drives me nuts is people ripping to 192 claiming there's no difference between that and 320. 320 or nothing.

I would then have to burn it twice? Once from CD to Flac and then from Flac to MP3? So much work! (hide)

I will probably just do the MP3 in 320kbps

Not at all. You only have to rip once. How you do it depends on your priorities. If you want the best audio quality, rip to flac. For portable use, you can convert flac to mp3 almost effortlessly with a program like Switch Sound Converter [for example]. If you don't care about highest audio quality, just rip directly to mp3. If you keep your CDs, you can rip them again if you ever need higher quality later on.

I couldn't tell from your post if you're ripping directly to the flash drives, or to your computer and then copying to your flash drives. Be aware that if you rip to computer and then copy [NOT move], you will have made a backup that might save you from doing it all over again if something happens to a flash drive. A small investment of time for good protection.

But everybody should use the correct terminology: when you copy from CD to computer, that is RIPPING. When you make a CD-R from files on your computer, that is BURNING. When you copy from your computer to a flash drive or SD card, that's just plain old copying [or file transfer].

Lbear, once you get used to this, it won't seem like such a chore. You can rip them in the background while you're doing something else on the computer. And you can bulk convert as many flacs as you want to mp3 in one easy operation, also in the background.

Defensive? I was not being defensive?
You said we shouldn't tell people to do that. I replied: I'm not.
Just having a convo.
Anyway.... I think last poster meant Audacity. That's an amazing program but for ripping CDs, WMP & MM are better.
And to beat the conversation into the ground, my music is actually on the SD Card in my phone. Since it's not on the phones internal memory it has a much better chance of surviving getting wet. [emoji38]

Sorry you took it personally, 7. Here's what I wrote: "It's always a good idea to keep your originals, unless you have a good reason not to.
It 's fine that it's a risk you're willing to take, but not everyone is. And very few people have good backups. I don't think it's good advice to give a less experienced user."

That was MY advice. If you think it's wrong, you should say why you disagree with what I said. I wasn't attacking you, or your method [for YOU]. I'm just trying to help a guy who doesn't sound very experienced with what we're discussing and data security.

So yeah, you were defensive there. Convo or needless argument, sometimes it's hard to tell around here.

What the ****, Shado? NOW I'm getting annoyed (not really). I didn't take anything "personally". I was not getting defensive. Where you are seeing this is beyond me?!?

You said " I don't think it's good advice to give a less experienced user. " I said "I'm not telling anyone what to do".

I was talking about what I do. I wasn't angry, or defensive, or ... whatever. Maybe a little cocky? Maybe? I don't really see that either but trying to figure out what you're picking up on...
I've been accused of cocky before... lol
But defensive? Took anything personally? No, man. I didn't. You're reading it wrong.
Just talking.
It's all good.
Can we move on now?
Love ya man. :D

Last edited:
What the ****, Shado? NOW I'm getting annoyed (not really). I didn't take anything "personally". I was not getting defensive. Where you are seeing this is beyond me?!?

You said " I don't think it's good advice to give a less experienced user. " I said "I'm not telling anyone what to do".

I was talking about what I do. I wasn't angry, or defensive, or ... whatever. Maybe a little cocky? Maybe? I don't really see that either but trying to figure out what you're picking up on...
I've been accused of cocky before... lol
But defensive? Took anything personally? No, man. I didn't. You're reading it wrong.
Just talking.
It's all good.
Can we move on now?
Love ya man. :D

Definitely, let's move on. But since you asked, it was just that you kept defending your backup routine, and I wasn't addressing that at all. I was talking about saving originals. But I can see how you took it the wrong way.

At least we got Lbear to start ripping! (drinks)

Not at all. You only have to rip once. How you do it depends on your priorities. If you want the best audio quality, rip to flac. For portable use, you can convert flac to mp3 almost effortlessly with a program like Switch Sound Converter [for example]. If you don't care about highest audio quality, just rip directly to mp3. If you keep your CDs, you can rip them again if you ever need higher quality later on.

I couldn't tell from your post if you're ripping directly to the flash drives, or to your computer and then copying to your flash drives. Be aware that if you rip to computer and then copy [NOT move], you will have made a backup that might save you from doing it all over again if something happens to a flash drive. A small investment of time for good protection.

But everybody should use the correct terminology: when you copy from CD to computer, that is RIPPING. When you make a CD-R from files on your computer, that is BURNING. When you copy from your computer to a flash drive or SD card, that's just plain old copying [or file transfer].

Lbear, once you get used to this, it won't seem like such a chore. You can rip them in the background while you're doing something else on the computer. And you can bulk convert as many flacs as you want to mp3 in one easy operation, also in the background.

Remember - our cars (and many others) don't support flac at this time. Maybe one day. So for now MP3 is the most universal standard. So if you are ripping with the goal of playing in your car, MP3 is the format you want. You could do Windows WMA, but not always portable to other devices.

Remember - our cars (and many others) don't support flac at this time. Maybe one day. So for now MP3 is the most universal standard. So if you are ripping with the goal of playing in your car, MP3 is the format you want. You could do Windows WMA, but not always portable to other devices.

It would be pointless and frankly foolish to rip to flac for car use, regardless of player support. We were talking about ripping in general, potentially getting rid of originals. It makes sense to rip to flac because it's no more trouble than ripping to mp3, it gives you a lossless copy for backup, and then converting to mp3 is so simple.

But there's more than one way to skin a cat. If you use your phone to play instead of a USB device, you can play flac in our cars. But why bother? You can store many mp3s in the space of one flac, and if you can hear the difference in a moving car... you're probably fooling yourself.

I wouldn't call someone foolish to rip to flax if you're streaming from your phone. But overall I agree. Just do mp3.
I ripped a few albums to flax just to see ...err... Hear the difference. It wasn't very noticeable compared to 320 mp3.
The size difference isn't worth it imo.

I wouldn't call someone foolish to rip to flax if you're streaming from your phone. But overall I agree. Just do mp3.
I ripped a few albums to flax just to see ...err... Hear the difference. It wasn't very noticeable compared to 320 mp3.
The size difference isn't worth it imo.

I figure anything that's pointless is foolish by definition. But I mean no offense to anyone who might resemble that remark. Whatever floats yer boat.
I'm glad we're on the same page. Let's just keep (drinks)

I know an audiophile snob that would like a word with you. He uses lossless .wav but he also has a $2,000 audio system he streams at home with.
I can still barely tell the difference.

Definitely, let's move on. But since you asked, it was just that you kept defending your backup routine, and I wasn't addressing that at all. I was talking about saving originals. But I can see how you took it the wrong way.

At least we got Lbear to start ripping! (drinks)

Yes, I did.

I bought a $10 USB drive with 32GB. I also got a portable USB CD player ($25) that I can connect to my laptop to do the ripping, I mean CD to MP3 copying. That way I save my CD player from running hot and overworking itself.

Yes, I did.

I bought a $10 USB drive with 32GB. I also got a portable USB CD player ($25) that I can connect to my laptop to do the ripping, I mean CD to MP3 copying. That way I save my CD player from running hot and overworking itself.

You be rockin now, dude! (dance)

And as the tedium sets in of ripping (you used the term right) just think: you will soon be carrying your entire CD collection...in the palm of your hand. [emoji106]

Back