Bumper Options

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
Well my wife scraped her front bumper pretty good. In particular the majority of the damage is on the unpainted black plastic section of the front bumper. A small scratch and tiny puncture of the actual painted bumper. She wants this fixed as its driving her crazy lol. More tidbits:

-Black plastic section is part of the entire front bumper. All one piece.
-Front bumper has paint protection film on it.
-Color of front bumper is white.
-Unpainted bumper ranges from $120 and up. Not sure if they are OEM
-Inquired with local reputable bumper repair company. They advised they cannot repair it (black plastic) and recommended replacing the bumper.
-Our budget would be $200-$500 max.

Some options I can try starting from cheapest would be to attempt to repair the black plastic section myself with a heat gun and use a paint pen on the small scratch. May look like crap lol. That fails I figure an aftermarket lower bumper cover of some sort. Then there's aftermarket bumpers. Getting another oem bumper and get it painting but install myself. I really want to retain the original bumper though mainly because of the paint protection film. Buying more paint protection film adds to the cost. I wonder if film wrap works on this textured unpainted surface? What do you guys think. Throw me some ideas guys!!!

Attachments

• 20161211_172934.jpg
    20161211_172934.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 20161211_172732.jpg
    20161211_172732.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 20161211_172910.jpg
    20161211_172910.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 160
Honda Ridgeline owners swear by this stuff to restore the black plastic in their truck beds. Perhaps it would work here. A lot cheaper and if it doesn't work, you can always pursue other options. Not a lot you can do about the scuffs, but if they are black, they might be less noticeable.

http://bondo.com/featured/bondo-restore-black-800.html#O8ECrRXxyBhRfuwW.97

Interesting product although it says it lasts 6 months. I saw this vid which may prove to be useful in eliminating some scuffs/scratches:

Dude thats a small scratch - barely size of a quarter. Plus its a CUV and made to handle small scratches here and there.
Personally I wouldn't even bother fixing it.

Dude, are you not married? Happy wife; happy life! Says it all...

Someone backed into our CX-5 and made a big dent at the front edge of the hood after we just fixed the hail damage by PDR. Wife hasn't say anything of fixing it right away⋯ ;)

My wife notices it and wants it taken care of. When I told her it wasn't too big a deal she replied had it been my car I would've been scrambling to get it fixed. She's right!! I tried pitching the license relocation idea but it got shot down. Likely getting an aftermarket bumper mod of some sort.

If the unpainted bumpers are 120+ you should be able to find a painted black one for ~300 then do the install yourself. Buy some paint protection and spray it on.
Even with the factory protection they will still fade. You have to maintain them yourself. Keep them clean, bug free and use some kind of plastic protective like 303, etc.

Well my wife scraped her front bumper pretty good. In particular the majority of the damage is on the unpainted black plastic section of the front bumper. A small scratch and tiny puncture of the actual painted bumper. She wants this fixed as its driving her crazy lol. More tidbits:

-Black plastic section is part of the entire front bumper. All one piece.
-Front bumper has paint protection film on it.
-Color of front bumper is white.
-Unpainted bumper ranges from $120 and up. Not sure if they are OEM
-Inquired with local reputable bumper repair company. They advised they cannot repair it (black plastic) and recommended replacing the bumper.
-Our budget would be $200-$500 max.

Some options I can try starting from cheapest would be to attempt to repair the black plastic section myself with a heat gun and use a paint pen on the small scratch. May look like crap lol. That fails I figure an aftermarket lower bumper cover of some sort. Then there's aftermarket bumpers. Getting another oem bumper and get it painting but install myself. I really want to retain the original bumper though mainly because of the paint protection film. Buying more paint protection film adds to the cost. I wonder if film wrap works on this textured unpainted surface? What do you guys think. Throw me some ideas guys!!!

cover it ? and give your wife some new extra DRL lighting and extra protection for future scuffs ?

https://jet.com/product/detail/34c69c5f99a945119ab8f0b4719c3541?jcmp=pla:ggl:a_nj_dur_gen_vehicles_parts_a1_b2:vehicle_parts_accessories_motor_vehicle_parts_motor_vehicle_frame_body_parts_a1_other:na:pLA_627454065_31308587002_pla-156916945260:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15

8442a8241767416f6e9abb46b4ad3672.500

c7eba917b60da03e12e98d7af0363ca6.500

180981ad899b13206f72949f55176639.500

Back