BT audio/navigation with iOS 9 vs. iOS 10

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
So I'm behind the times and just upgraded my iPhone 6 to iOS 10 over the weekend, after nearly a year of the phone daily hounding me to upgrade. (whistle)

Anyway, before the upgrade, I would have music playing through Bluetooth (usually a podcast but sometimes regular music), and if I had Google Maps navigation going, it would lower the music volume during a spoken navigation prompt.

Now, with iOS 10, it appears to pause the music and play the spoken voice prompt. This is fine on the phone itself, but apparently when connected to the car via Bluetooth, there's a huge lag between the music pausing and the connection for the navigation prompt, such that the navigation prompt is either not heard at all, or only the last word of the prompt is heard. That makes the voice prompts totally unusable. It's almost like some sort of "handshake" lag like happens sometimes with HDMI devices. I see "Pause" appear on the car's infotainment screen, then a few seconds of silence, and then maybe the last word of the voice prompt comes out, like "Street" or "Avenue" or whatever. I have to have the phone screen on to see what the actual direction prompt is, which of course is not the safest thing to do.

I tried navigation with both Google Maps and Apple Maps on iOS 10 and have the same issues. I've checked Google Maps settings and Apple Maps and can't find anything that will make it just play the navigation prompt over the music with the music volume lowered like it used to.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

That's very strange. Mine does exactly as you expect (playing music, when google maps "speaks" it dims the music while speaking).

I racked my brain and can't think of why this would happen, or what else to check. From a bluetooth connection perspective, it shouldn't do anything to your infotainment screen (it's just a single stream of audio to the car... the phone should automatically dim the music where necessary).

Did you try the obvious and reboot your phone? Also try fully deleting your pairing (delete the pairing from the Mazda, and iPhone, then connect again as a brand new device). Deleting the connections on both ends is vital... it'll force a full new connection which may help.

No I haven't tried that but will next time I'm in the car.

I noticed Google Maps was updated yesterday. I drove home from work in my Integra yesterday with the phone connected via Lightning to my Pioneer head unit's iPod input, started a podcast, and then started Google Maps nav directions. In that case, the podcast paused, and all spoken Nav directions were 100% audible.

In the CX-5 I noticed whenever the Google Maps nav prompt would come on, the infotainment screen would show "Pause" like when normally touching the Pause button on the infotainment screen (music data disappears and it only shows "Pause" and the symbol in the middle of the screen). So you like you said, it's odd that it would do that because it should be one stream from the device to the car.

If re-pairing doesn't work I guess I'll try connecting the phone to the car with the cable. When using Navigation I typically have my phone plugged in anyway, so if that works it wouldn't be a huge deal as a workaround.

Google Maps > Top left three lines > Settings > Navigation Settings > Play voice over Bluetooth and Play as Bluetooth Phone Call.

I think those two settings control this and that is the best you can do.

Mine is set to Play Voice Over Bluetooth. It's always been set this way. On iOS 9 it worked fine but on iOS 10 it does not. I will try re-pairing and see what happens.

I removed and re-paired my phone to the car, and was able to get Nav directions to work while playing music through USB (iPod tab on the Infotainment screen), but I can't seem to play my music podcasts through the USB iPod input. I got Nav directions to work with Apple Maps by turning off the option to Pause Spoken Audio. I also tried Google Maps and Apple Maps both with just regular music playing from my phone, and both of those worked fine. But Google Maps navigation with a music podcast still does not work. The audio pauses and there's a severe lag before the Nav prompt audio comes on such that only the last word or taile end piece of the last word of the direction is heard.

So it appears to be an iOS Podcasts issue, and nothing else.... which sucks because I listen to music podcasts more than anything else.

Back