Break Light Flashing and "P" symbol on

I did my brakes 2 weeks ago and yesterday I got into my car and my break lights are flashing and the "p" yellow symbol is on.

What could cause this issue?

I see the cx-5 has this issue but didn't see it on the cx-9, my breaks work fine and I don't hear anything. Also my parking break engages and disengages perfectly. Not sure what the issue is. I'm out of warranty or else I would take it to the dealer.

20210213_152536_HDR(1).jpg

Solution
Update: So we put the car in maintenance mode and took it out of maintenance mode and the problem fixed itself. Hopefully this helps someone in the future. Still not sure if it's "fixed" entirely but will update if anything else pops up.
What is crazy too is he used that tool to spin the piston back into the caliper instead of pushing it straight in. Hopefully im not in for a hurting

Upvote 0
About $70 a piece. https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts...5Jnk9MjAxOCZ0PXNpZ25hdHVyZSZlPTItNWwtbDQtZ2Fz

You can try and perform the maintenance mode on/off to see if they'll fix themselves. If not, maybe buy them yourself and have the mechanic do the labor for free. I just think the mechanic was not aware of the maintenance mode as I would have done the same if wasn't for this forum. And if he feels bad about it, I'm sure he'll offer to reimburse you. But bottom line I think he needs to be made aware.

Upvote 0
It's kinda scary to think that probably a majority of third party (independent) mechanics don't know about the maintenance mode or electric parking brake on newer Mazdas.
They still attack rotor and pad replacement the old fashioned way, going by what they learned and did 20 years ago.
These guys need to do the research and keep up on the latest procedures before blindly attacking a brake job, on any car.
Your mechanic should also absorb any further costs associated with setting things right.
Serves him right for not doing his homework.
Better yet, have a dealer do the work and send him the bill.

Upvote 0
About $70 a piece. https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts...5Jnk9MjAxOCZ0PXNpZ25hdHVyZSZlPTItNWwtbDQtZ2Fz

You can try and perform the maintenance mode on/off to see if they'll fix themselves. If not, maybe buy them yourself and have the mechanic do the labor for free. I just think the mechanic was not aware of the maintenance mode as I would have done the same if wasn't for this forum. And if he feels bad about it, I'm sure he'll offer to reimburse you. But bottom line I think he needs to be made aware.
Hey man thank you for being so informative. Perfect thank you so much. How would the install go? Put in maintenance mode push the brake piston in and install the motor? or just remove and install the new motor

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did my brakes 2 weeks ago and yesterday I got into my car and my break lights are flashing and the "p" yellow symbol is on.

What could cause this issue?

I see the cx-5 has this issue but didn't see it on the cx-9, my breaks work fine and I don't hear anything. Also my parking break engages and disengages perfectly. Not sure what the issue is. I'm out of warranty or else I would take it to the dealer.

View attachment 295328

I have the same issue now but there is a difference. While p light is on and brake is flashing, parking brake won't engage. When I turn off the car and wait an hour or so the lights go away. I didn't have time to try the maintenance mode I will try when I get home.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue now but there is a difference. While p light is on and brake is flashing, parking brake won't engage. When I turn off the car and wait an hour or so the lights go away. I didn't have time to try the maintenance mode I will try when I get home.
Your battery probably going dead. Check your battery to see if its good still

Upvote 0
When doing the rear brakes on the latest gen Mazda's with the electric parking brake feature, you need to go into maintenance mode before tearing it all apart.
Lots of good info and threads on this site about this issue, so do a quick search on here and you'll find everything you need to know.

Upvote 0
Back