"Break in" period?

I drove mine up north right when I picked it up from the dealership. It was a few hundred miles on the interstate and I braked hard a few times to navigate around some deer in the road. I kept the car at 70mph most of the time but occasionally would drive faster to let the engine spend some time at different RPMs.

Old post. How many miles now and does your car consume any oil?

Most of the break-in procedures I have read do not limit max speed. They actually advise you to vary speeds. Just avoid hard charging and hard stopping whenever possible for first 600 miles.

The new 2020 Corvette C8 is very serious about this break-in process. The RPM is limited before it hits 500 miles on the Odometer.... After that, you are free to zoom.

Picking up my new one on Friday.. This post on Reddit suggests about a dozen 2-second bursts to 75% full throttle while driving home from the dealer on day1 helps ensure compression over the life of the engine. Seems legit, and even if it's not - can't see too much of a downside.

Picking up my new one on Friday.. This post on Reddit suggests about a dozen 2-second bursts to 75% full throttle while driving home from the dealer on day1 helps ensure compression over the life of the engine.
Seems legit, and even if it's not - can't see too much of a downside.
To me a dozen 2-second bursts to 75% full throttle while driving home from the dealer on day1 is something I’d never do. Mazda says “do not race the engine” during the break-in period and that multiple sudden bursts seem just to do the opposite to the engine. My 2016 CX-5 with 42K miles has no compression problem nor oil dilution issue, so as my 1998 Honda CR-V with 183K miles!

But it’s the Internet and you have to use your common sense to verify if those informations are legit or not.

To me a dozen 2-second bursts to 75% full throttle while driving home from the dealer on day1 is something I’d never do. Mazda says “do not race the engine” during the break-in period and that multiple sudden bursts seem just to do the opposite to the engine. My 2016 CX-5 with 42K miles has no compression problem nor oil dilution issue, so as my 1998 Honda CR-V with 183K miles!

But it’s the Internet and you have to use your common sense to verify if those informations are legit or not.

I'm in this camp as well. Stuck to what the manual recommended for my 18 CX-9, and basically just drove it normally (but did not "coast" for long periods of time and did not let the revs get past 3500). After the first couple of tanks of gas, I drove it like I'd drive any other vehicle.

The sample of engine oil I sent out for analysis at 29,127 kms had zero issues. I did do the first oil change a little early.

Here is the Hemi manual for engine break-in.

"ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.

Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes
should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions
under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And
Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”. "

Here is the Hemi manual for engine break-in.

"ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.

Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes
should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions
under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And
Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”. "
Since when we have a Hemi in our CX-5? ;)

And to me, “while cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.“ and wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.” they seem to contradict to each other for break-in on Hemi.

Although it’d been posted before, I’ll post it again on break-in period recommendation from Mazda CX-5 owner’s manual:

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.
• Do not race the engine.
• Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
• Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
• Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
• Avoid full-throttle starts.
• Do not tow a trailer.

You'll do fine if you drive it like a mom for ~600 miles.

Here's what I do, and usually end up with an engine that doesn't burn oil.
After gentle warm-up,
0-100 miles baby it, less than 50% of max RPM & less than ~1/3 throttle
100 - 500 miles. Less than ~2/3 max RPM, No full throttle.
500 - 1000 miles less than ~3/4 max RPM, Little WOT
1000 miles change oil
1000 - 5000 miles drive it like I stole it! Hammer DOWN!
5000 miles. Change oil and drive it however I please.

I am in the non reving during break in camp too. And most important, let it get to normal operating temperature before racing the engine.

Back