2013~2016 Break fluid question

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Should read - Brake fluid question. Can't edit the title.

Taking my 2016 Touring in for service next week. One of the things I want done is drain/fill of the brake fluid. It's been 5 years and although I only have 28,000 miles on it figured it would be a good thing to do.

Service advisor said Mazda does not recommend changing the fluid.
I said Mazda doesn't drive my car, I do and I would like it changed.
Service advisor said they don't even have a machine to suck it out.

Question - does it have to be sucked out? Can't it be drained from each wheel? If so will it drop enough fluid to make it worthwhile? Wonder how this dealer handles fluid when they do a brake job?

Should read - Brake fluid question. Can't edit the title.

Taking my 2016 Touring in for service next week. One of the things I want done is drain/fill of the brake fluid. It's been 5 years and although I only have 28,000 miles on it figured it would be a good thing to do.
Service advisor said Mazda does not recommend changing the fluid.
I said Mazda doesn't drive my car, I do and I would like it changed.
Service advisor said they don't even have a machine to suck it out.

Question - does it have to be sucked out? Can't it be drained from each wheel? If so will it drop enough fluid to make it worthwhile? Wonder how this dealer handles fluid when they do a brake job?
I’d be running away from this Mazda dealer and find somebody else to do brake fluid flush job. I found Brake Plus usually is pretty good to do any brake jobs if you can find one nearby. You can’t drain the brake fluid out from calipers, but you have to apply pressure to “push” the brake fluid out from brake fluid reservoir on master cylinder. You can use a compressor, hand-held or commercial, to “push” the old brake fluid out by applying the pressure at the master cylinder brake fluid reservoir with an adapter. Or you can use the brake foot pedal to pump the master cylinder and push the old brake fluid out through each brake caliper.

You want a brake flush/bleed and not a drain/fill which probably means to remove and put new fluid in the brake fluid reservoir.

I'm going to try changing some of mine out with a turkey baster. It's about 4 years old now but looks perfectly clear in the master cylinder. Maybe it doesn't need it?

Yes, get it changed.
In the new service schedules for the Mazda 3/CX-30, it says to change the brake fluid every other oil change or 2 years

Bad or poor condition brake fluid that is contaminated with water can still look clear and acceptable.

The reservoir is not a good example of the entire system's condition, and only represents a very small portion of the total amount of fluid in the system.

For a proper and inexpensive test to see if a flush is warranted, use a test stick or one of the electronic brake fluid test pens.

This past November at 39,000 miles, at 6 years and 2 months from build date, I got a new battery, and new tires a few days apart.I had the local Tire Discounters where I bought my tires do a power bleed on the brakes.With the aid of a 20$ discount, it cost 75$.Well worth it in my opinion.Have long been a believer in replacing all fluids at reasonable intervals to prolong component life and avoid hassles and expensive repairs.
I think it's wise to temper the "recommendations" given by dealers or the factory.Neither of which will bear your costs when the warranty has expired.Forums like this where members post their experiences and opinions serve a very valuable purpose.

Brake fluid isn't "changed out" with a turkey baster. It only serves to remove fluid from the master cylinder. The rest of the system is still filled with old fluid. Brake fluid from the master cylinder flows very slowly into the system as caliper pistons and wheel cylinders slowly extend outward as the pads and shoes wear. It doesn't flow and circulate like engine oil or coolant does. Remember, the calipers are the lowest point of the system and this is where water and debris (rust etc.) collects and remains until the system is bled. Ever bleed brakes and see some black fluid come out but the reservoir fluid isn't black. It's because the fluid in the calipers is basically stagnant and turns black from the piston seals wearing. Another good reason to bleed the system and replenish with fresh fluid.

Back