Brand New to Mazda. Infotainment questions

KirbyHTX

2017 CX-5 GT
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2017 CX-5 GT last week and I am familiarizing myself with everything and came upon this site which seems to be VERY helpful. My last two vehicles were very basic level Chevys (HHR then Trax) so this is my first NICE vehicle with a good amount of tech features and I am very excited. I do have a couple of questions I hope someone can help answer - or if it has been posted elsewhere maybe point me in the right direction. TIA!

1. I noticed when trying to enter in an address in the NAV, as I'm typing it starts excluding my letter/number options and won't allow me to input the address. Why is this?? Do I need to update the maps? It is really frustrating so I've just been using my iPhone NAV but obviously I'd rather be able to use the car's.

2. Apple CarPlay - I have never used this before and am reluctant to spend several hundred dollars to get it installed but might try the retrofit. Is there a huge difference/benefit to upgrading?

Thanks for any helpful responses and suggestions!

Last edited:
When entering addresses in the NAV you have to really pay attention to what it's asking for. You have to be careful you enter the proper destination state otherwise cities that you think should come up dont. As far as inputting the address it will only allow valid addresses on the street you select so unless you're entering a very new address, maybe a brand new development that's not in the database it should present you with the proper numbers for the street address.

You can not enter data while moving but you should try the voice entry. If you do not have an owners guide look on line.

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2017 CX-5 GT last week and I am familiarizing myself with everything and came upon this site which seems to be VERY helpful. My last two vehicles were very basic level Chevys (HHR then Trax) so this is my first NICE vehicle with a good amount of tech features and I am very excited. I do have a couple of questions I hope someone can help answer - or if it has been posted elsewhere maybe point me in the right direction. TIA!

1. I noticed when trying to enter in an address in the NAV, as I'm typing it starts excluding my letter/number options and won't allow me to input the address. Why is this?? Do I need to update the maps? It is really frustrating so I've just been using my iPhone NAV but obviously I'd rather be able to use the car's.

2. Apple CarPlay - I have never used this before and am reluctant to spend several hundred dollars to get it installed but might try the retrofit. Is there a huge difference/benefit to upgrading?

The Mazda Navigation is a big headache. Don't waste your time if you have an alternative.

The Mazda Navigation is a big headache. Don't waste your time if you have an alternative.
I am beginning to realize that. I tried to dictate the address using the voice button but that was a bust. I might end up trying to do the CarPlay retrofit so I can use my phone navigation on the screen.

I am beginning to realize that. I tried to dictate the address using the voice button but that was a bust. I might end up trying to do the CarPlay retrofit so I can use my phone navigation on the screen.
I haven't been able to get voice recognition to work for anything but the radio. It would be nice for NAV but that seems like a lost cause.

It's not too bad once you figure out the convoluted method of entry that Mazda wants you to use.
It's better than nothing if you already have the address handy. But a cheap Android phone on a mount is much better. Android Auto is no comparison.

No one really answered the question of "why is this". The reason: if you enter: Cleveland, Ohio, Main Street and then start typing numbers the Nav is actually (supposed to be) smart enough to know there IS no address on Main St that starts with 5-6-7-8 or 9.
If it is missing addresses, it may be out of date. This doesn't happen very often unless you live somewhere that stuff changes a lot.
I am one of the few that likes the Mazda Nav but AA /ACP is worlds better. Y'know that Voice Command button on your steering wheel? It's actually useful with AA /ACP.
Click "Navigate to 123 Main ST, Cleveland, Ohio"
Reply: OK, here we go.

Click: "Read me my text messages."
Ok. Jane said "Have you seen my wig around?" Would you like to reply?
"Yes"
What's the message?
"Do you feel naked without it?"
I think you said "Do you feel naked without it? Would you like me to SEND?
"Yes"
Message Sent

Let's say you already have a destination set. You're driving. Uh-oh.
Click: Navigate to nearest Gas Station!
"Ok, here we go!"
*Get to gas station, get back in car*
"Would you like to continue to where we were going?"

AND SO MUCH MORE.

Naacx5 said:
My new 2020 has Apple CarPlay and I really like it, however, I don’t know if I would pay hundreds of extra dollars to have it installed.

Worth it at 2x the price. In 6 months, stop using ACP and tell me how much you miss it. ;)

Last edited:
indeed, the mazda nav voice control is funky. Once you get to know how to say addresses city etc (yes it needs exact address otherwise its a bust most of the time) it does work quite good actually.
at least for those souls that dont have AA or Carplay :)
the reason I use the built in nav is because of the HUD integration.
And the voice control is much easier I think vs input by the knob or touch screen menu.

Welcome to this forum. I had a 2017 CX5 and I did the Carplay upgrade , totally worth it. You can get besides maps, like Waze, music like Pandora and XM. And the system works really well (console buttons).
You can get the parts on ebay for around $150 shipped. And the stealership can do the software update required for free. They have videos of the install on youtube (easy install). send me an email if you need further questions or with the install.

No one really answered the question of "why is this". The reason: if you enter: Cleveland, Ohio, Main Street and then start typing numbers the Nav is actually (supposed to be) smart enough to know there IS no address on Main St that starts with 5-6-7-8 or 9.
If it is missing addresses, it may be out of date. This doesn't happen very often unless you live somewhere that stuff changes a lot.
I am one of the few that likes the Mazda Nav but AA /ACP is worlds better. Y'know that Voice Command button on your steering wheel? It's actually useful with AA /ACP.

Reply: Ok. Jane said "Have you seen my wig around?" Would you like to reply?
"Yes"
Reply: What's the message?
"Do you feel naked with it?"
I think you said "Do you feel naked with it? Would you like me to SEND?
"Yes"

"Ok, here we go!"

AND SO MUCH MORE.

Worth it at 2x the price. In 6 months, stop using ACP and tell me how much you miss it. ;)
You might be right. The more I’ve used it, the more I like it.

Reply: Ok. Jane said "Have you seen my wig around?" Would you like to reply?
"Yes"
Reply: What's the message?
"Do you feel naked with it?"
I think you said "Do you feel naked with it? Would you like me to SEND?
"Yes"

"Ok, here we go!"

AND SO MUCH MORE.

Thank you! Yes that sounds MUCH better. I was able to find the Mazda parts for the AA/ACP online for $140. My maps are very outdated and since Mazda toolbox wants $87 for a single map update and I live in urban Houston which is in a never-ending state of construction and change, the retrofit seems like the logical choice. I really like using the command center knob and buttons so I don't think I will miss the touch screen functionality.

You won't miss it. I promise not one person that has done the upgrade regrets it. :D

I do TOTALLY get the draw of seeing the Navi in the HUD. THat would be tough to do without after having it. But with all the other functionality you get with it... it's a good trade off.

It's also fun when the kid is in the car "Daddy hit the google button!"
Click: "Hey Google..." (I've told him 50 times you don't need to say that when you hit the button)...
"play some *stupid effing song that my dad hates*..."
:D

(No one caught my Jane's addiction reference?)

I'm with 7eregrine. I did the hardware upgrade. You can do a lot simply by using the voice command button on the steering wheel. I've even hit the button and asked Google to do calculations for me. Can't wait to be able to do this wirelessly though instead of always having to connect my phone to the upgraded hub.

I just got a 2020 Touring, but came with no maps. So I got an SD card with the maps, a version prior to the latest one. I thing I got it for about $40, then I updated. Also it comes with three years of updates.
I love Carplay but just incase I'm in a place w/o cell service, I have the Navi ready to go.

indeed, the mazda nav voice control is funky. Once you get to know how to say addresses city etc (yes it needs exact address otherwise its a bust most of the time) it does work quite good actually.
at least for those souls that dont have AA or Carplay :)
the reason I use the built in nav is because of the HUD integration.
And the voice control is much easier I think vs input by the knob or touch screen menu.
I can't get the voice control on my 2018 to do anything with the built in NAV. It is comically inept. Maybe there are key words or something that I need to learn, but why should I have to do special training. Android Auto works as 7eregrine describes. It's much more intuitive and or actually works.

Back