Brake slider pin lubricant

DanR

:
2014 Mazda Da2
What are you guys using for brake slider pin lubricant? I always used permatex caliper lube ( green slim), but it makes the rubber sleeves swell. I heard high heat anti-seize works. The manual was never clear on my MX5. Thanks.

Not anti seize... It turns into glue after a bit of heat and time. Even stuff aged to 1500F.

Get some Sil-Glide for the slider pins, and I use CRC brake grease(comes in a small white tub with an application brush) for the pad backing to caliper/piston and the pad "ears" where they ride on the caliper bracket.

153801_x600.jpg

This is all ive used for years. Its what i was trained to use when i was a tech, and still use to this day. Never had any issues with any rubber swelling or such. Possibly your dealing with a separate issue there? Plus the bottle shown will last Years!

That Permatex is what I used for years until I got my 09 MX5. The earlier Miatas did not have the rubber sleeves on the pins and I never had any issues. Once I used the permatex it made the rubber sleeves swell on the pin. It was a common problem on the miata boards. Nobody really understood why the rubber sleeves are on the pins. A couple of guys removed them with no issues. I know both the MX5 and 2 calipers are FMC parts. Blame it on Ford. I will check for some sil-glide.

Sil Glyde. Looks like a toothpaste tube. Available at any Autozone. Tube lasts the cars lifetime and IS the right stuff for slides. Permatex will also work but harder to find (at least around here)...Stuff is so good, we used to use only the SilGlyde at the dealer ditching the Honda OE stuff.

Do NOT use anti seize. Will turn to gum as soon as the brakes get hot, then you have a real mess trying to scrape out the gunk out of the boots. You "can" also use the SilGlyde as a pad lubricant. Use it sparingly but helps a ton with pad chatter and pad ear binding.

Basically what Tony said...

Last edited:
Back