Brake pedal stuck after start up attempts

After having a problem “fixed” with my 2016 cx5 I thought I would start it a few times to see if the issue was fixed. After a few goes and the engine not coming on the brake pedal is now stuck or really stiff. So now I can’t depress the brake enough to get the green light on the start button. When googling I only found a few things about the engine vacuum and that this happens after attempting to start engine a few times. Has this happened to anyone? Is there anything I can do besides tow it to a shop. Thanks!

The way the brake booster works is via vacuum. Pressing it down a few times without starting the vehicle generally results in a stiff pedal as the vacuum "reserve" is exhausted. Though, I've never had one go so stiff that I couldn't still push it down enough to get the car to start.

In any case, letting the car sit for a bit should resolve it.

Yea I’ve pushed as hard as I’m comfortable doing so I’m letting it sit like you’ve suggested. Thanks for the response. 👍

CarpeDiem

Under Pressure
:
Superstitions
:
2021 Carbon T
To confirm, it is perfectly normal for vehicles made in the past thirty years to “run out of vacuum” if you depress the brake too much with the engine off. The brake pedal not allowing the engine interlock to function properly is odd, it should require firm pressure on the pedal but no need to strain. Could there be something stuck behind the pedal? Hard to imagine what, but something may be preventing the pedal from disengaging the interlock.

To confirm, it is perfectly normal for vehicles made in the past thirty years to “run out of vacuum” if you depress the brake too much with the engine off. The brake pedal not allowing the engine interlock to function properly is odd, it should require firm pressure on the pedal but no need to strain. Could there be something stuck behind the pedal? Hard to imagine what, but something may be preventing the pedal from disengaging the interlock.
Nothing behind the pedal. I’m gonna try putting a new battery in the fob. Otherwise this could be an issue related to why the car isn’t starting. There’s a problem with the push start circuit or something. But I wonder if there is some relay issue with the brake pedal. Who knows. Thanks a lot.

It started! Pressed the brake, still very very stiff but the green key light came up on the dash and the light on the start button went green so I pushed er! Strange.