2013~2016 Brake Pads + Rotors - Help Needed

Hello!

As my username states, I know next to nothing about cars, so it has been a bit difficult for me to navigate previous postings, so I just decided to make my own (so please don't get mad if this is a topic that has been beaten to death!)

I bought a 2016 Touring CX-5 with AWD back in September. I am moving quite far and was hoping to have my dad replace my brake pads + rotors (front and back) before I leave so they are all set for awhile (and so I don't have to pay dealer labor prices for now). I just am not sure what brand of pads/rotors I should buy. I know I could go to the dealer and get Mazda OEM parts, but I feel like that may be costly (not sure how much though). I was looking at Auto Zone and my dad recommended the Duralast Gold pads and rotors that he has on his Dodge Ram that he really likes - would they work fine on the CX-5? Are there other aftermarket brands you suggest over the Duralast brand? Also, I saw that the EPB needs to be put into maintenance mode before my dad changes my rear brakes, so thank you to this forum for letting me know that!

If you read this far into the post, thank you so much. All of your help is truly appreciated!

I did my own brake job last summer on my wife's 2014 Touring CX-5 FWD. I bought a set of front and rear pads from my Mazda dealer parts dept. The pricing is very competitive with after market. I think the whole thing was was under $150.00. My rotors were fine. Why do you need to replace your rotors?

I did my own brake job last summer on my wife's 2014 Touring CX-5 FWD. I bought a set of front and rear pads from my Mazda dealer parts dept. The pricing is very competitive with after market. I think the whole thing was was under $150.00. My rotors were fine. Why do you need to replace your rotors?
To be completely honest, my previous car was a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I had to replace my rotors often on that vehicle, and since this Mazda has 68,000 miles on it, I thought it would be due for new rotors, but maybe I don't need them? How long do rotors usually last?

To be completely honest, my previous car was a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I had to replace my rotors often on that vehicle, and since this Mazda has 68,000 miles on it, I thought it would be due for new rotors, but maybe I don't need them? How long do rotors usually last?
While just a general rule of thumb, a set of rotors will typically outlive at least one set of pads, maybe 2. You are recommended to lathe the rotors when installing a new set of pads, that is why some just forgo the machining process, and just install a new rotor to prevent customer comebacks, and complaints. The Factory OEM pads are built to high spec by a very good manufacturer, so I see no harm staying with the factory pads.

I am at 60k miles on our 2016.5 Touring, and our brakes have many miles remaning. (As a quick side note, if you have heated seats on your touring, your 2016 is actually considered a 2016.5)

Back