Brake pads and rotor replacement

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
2016.5 CX5. After 5 years finally time to replace brakes, rear. Dealership told me 2 brakes pads are there value and premium series. Can someone give the correct part # OEM for rear pads premium grade please? As my rotors look pretty “exhausted” too what would be the recommendation wrt rotors and for OEM what will be the correct part # for rotors? Asking since it might be there is value vs premium here too?! I usually lean towards OEM rotors bit if something is available and verified here by this community to have awesome stopping power would be interested. I don't drive hard but encounter a lot of stop and go.

Looks like you've been around awhile so I imagine your all up to speed on the EPB mode procedure for the rears calipers :)

I had no complaints of the oem pads/rotors but didn't even try getting them from Mazda. Instead, i went with Raybestos Element3 pads and rotors as I have done with all my vehicles for many years with good results. The rotors are coated as well so hold up better against corrosion. I priced them at rock auto but my local auto parts store sold them to me cheaper. About $150 all in.

FRONT:
PADS EHT1623H
ROTORS 982264FZN

REAR:
PADS EHT1846H
ROTORS 981008FZN

Last edited:
2016.5 CX5. After 5 years finally time to replace brakes, rear. Dealership told me 2 brakes pads are there value and premium series. Can someone give the correct part # OEM for rear pads premium grade please? As my rotors look pretty “exhausted” too what would be the recommendation wrt rotors and for OEM what will be the correct part # for rotors? Asking since it might be there is value vs premium here too?! I usually lean towards OEM rotors bit if something is available and verified here by this community to have awesome stopping power would be interested. I don't drive hard but encounter a lot of stop and go.
Don’t use Mazda Value line brake pads if you want the OEM parts. The OEM “premium” brake pads are the normal OEM parts and they’re the same pads as those in your CX-5 from factory. You don’t really need new rear disk rotors unless they’re worn down to the minimum thickness specification, which’s unlikely after the first pads on CX-5. You may also need new rotors if they “warped” too much. Old rotors can be turned or resurfaced with new pads, and that’s what I usually do.

2016.5 CX-5 Rear Disk Brakes
Pads set (not Value Line): KAY0-26-48Z
Rotor: K011-26-251C

Sidenote: I find the OEM brake pads (the ones made from Japan, not the Mazda Value ones) to be the best in stopping power,
I tried the Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic pads , although they were quiet, I found them to have very subpar stopping power and they felt mushy when braking hard

Mazda 2016 CX-5 front pads (Made in Japan) K0Y1-33-28ZA
Mazda 2016 CX-5 rear pads (Made in Japan) KAY0-26-48Z

attachment.php

Last edited:

What mileage?

Looks like you've been around awhile so I imagine your all up to speed on the EPB mode procedure for the rears calipers :)

I had no complaints of the oem pads/rotors but didn't even try getting them from Mazda. Instead, i went with Raybestos Element3 pads and rotors as I have done with all my vehicles for many years with good results. The rotors are coated as well so hold up better against corrosion. I priced them at rock auto but my local auto parts store sold them to me cheaper. About $150 all in.

FRONT:
PADS EHT1623H
ROTORS 982264FZN

REAR:
PADS EHT1846H
ROTORS 981008FZN

I can attest to Raybestos Element3 pads. I have them on my 2016 Mazda6 and they are quality. Gives akebono pads a run for the money.

Stoptech ceramic pads on 1st gen Cx-5 with non-electric parking brake*. Thumbs up from me.

I have this rotor kit on both vehicles. Essentially re-branded Stoptech rotors/pads. Extremely happy with kit. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

OEM pads: Electronic Parking brake models*: I highly recommend sticking with OEM TRW Rear brake pads. I've tried aftermarket ones and there's fitment issues leading to wasted time/money. The TRW-made rear brake system with electronic parking brake I find works best with the OEM TRW rear pad. In general OEM TRW pads I give a pass (not to be confused with the value line pads).

OEM Rotors: My Mazda6 OEM rotors had to be resurfaced 2x. The Brake Motive kit rotors have been and is currently holding up better for that car.

Brake Motive rotor > OEM rotor > EBC rotor.

Back