2013~2016 CX-5 Brake Issue

Aiden

Aiden
:
2016 CX5, 2.2D, AWD, Auto
Hello All,

2016 CX5 2.2D 175HP

From across the pond here (England) with a brake issue / query. I think that my brakes are sticking so I pulled one of the rear calipers today (that was definitely binding yesterday) and cleaned then regreased pads and sliders today (they were packed with white dried lithium grease), it feels better now. The pads were replaced by an independent garage 3 months ago.

Question 1 - How hot should the discs get under normal use? As one of my front ones gets hot enough to burn if you touch it and the other 3 are quite hot...

Question 2 - Should the brake pads have shims? I've noticed the Mazda originals come with shims and the ones fitting by my independent don't, I'm thinking maybe I should buy Mazda pads and discs and just change them myself anyway?

Thanks for the feedback in advance and if you need anymore info please ask.

Aiden

The front brakes do most of the work, so in theory at least they should get hotter. They can easily get hot enough (up to 200*C) to burn you badly! As for the shims, some aftermarket brakes may not come with them but I can’t say if they are needed with all pads. “Lithium grease” is not what should be used on modern brakes, silicone-based grease is for disc brakes and won’t get hard in just a few months. I sounds to me - from what you have stated - that the shop you used is not the most competent.

Thanks Carpe Diem
You have confirmed my suspicions and I'll clean and regrease the remaining 3 wheels this week.
I have the Mintex Cera-Tec grease and red rubbber grease to do the job properly.
As for the shims I'll wait and see what the brakes are like as they've been great so far until the lithium grease dried up that is
Aiden

Back