Brake Fluid Level

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR
Interesting observation this morning.

For the last week I've had intermittent warning lights:
Front Radar Sensor Malfunction
SmartBrake Malfunction
Red BRAKE warning light on the dash.

Took it to the dealer this morning and ALL these warnings were caused by brake fluid level that was just a touch below minimum. It sure had me worried!

Yes, I have 5mm rear and 6mm front remaining.

Tech suggested the cold weather was a contributor and was not concerned.

Did you not pop the hood yourself and have a look at the levels?

Obviously not. Given the slew of system failure messages, I fully expected the problem to be much bigger than marginally low fluid.

In the future you may want to be proactive and check ALL the fluid levels. These cars are notorious for coming from the factory with low fluid levels...

Yes, I have 5mm rear and 6mm front remaining.

Tech suggested the cold weather was a contributor and was not concerned.
You can top off with whatever DOT fluid comes stock. Be sure to reach the Max fill line and not to the top of the maser cylinder. It would only cause leaks. Don't get it on paint.

That said, the dealer should've made a curtesy top off.

You can top off with whatever DOT fluid comes stock. Be sure to reach the Max fill line and not to the top of the maser cylinder. It would only cause leaks. Don't get it on paint.

That said, the dealer should've made a curtesy top off.
I wasn't charged for the visit.

You can top off with whatever DOT fluid comes stock.

Definitely not DOT 5 brake fluid! Factory brake fluid on CX-5 is DOT 3. DOT 3 is polyglycol ether based brake fluid which can’t be mixed with silicone based DOT 5 brake fluid.

Definitely not DOT 5 brake fluid! Factory brake fluid on CX-5 is DOT 3. DOT 3 is polyglycol ether based brake fluid which can’t be mixed with silicone based DOT 5 brake fluid.
Yeah don't put DOT 5. Stick to DOT 3 or 4 but not 5 as it's not compatible.

Back