Brake Fluid Change amount for 2016 CX-5?

Brake fluid used during a change is variable. Some people bleed more out than other people once the clear fluid starts coming out of the valves or if they accidentally got air into the system they will bleed more out. Get a 12 ounce bottle. I don't think the exact capacity is stated anywhere.

Upvote 0
Dealer would tell you about 30K miles interval.
(though, OM does not mention it)

My daughter came back for holidays with her '14 Mazda3. The brake fluid level was low. I had it replaced at dealer. It had 43K miles (short drives).
Moisture and air bubbles are the things to worry in brake fluid.

Upvote 0

My daughter came back for holidays with her '14 Mazda3. The brake fluid level was low. I had it replaced at dealer. It had 43K miles (short drives).
I was asking for the amount of fluid needed to do a change, not the interval.

Upvote 0
I was asking for the amount of fluid needed to do a change, not the interval.
You already got your answer from the above replies.Are you going to power bleed,gravity bleed or pump the brake pedal? There is no EXACT answer for quantity to be used.Brake fluid is flushed or bled,not a drain and fill like an oil change.If this is your comprehension on the subject,maybe it's best to have it done somewhere.Functioning brakes is a safety issue you know.
This refers back to your initial question of not being able to find a quantity listed for the braking system.

Upvote 0

The brake fluid level is supposed to go down as the brake pads wear. It only needs to be full when the pads are new.

Upvote 0
You already got your answer from the above replies.Are you going to power bleed,gravity bleed or pump the brake pedal? There is no EXACT answer for quantity to be used.Brake fluid is flushed or bled,not a drain and fill like an oil change.If this is your comprehension on the subject,maybe it's best to have it done somewhere.Functioning brakes is a safety issue you know.
This refers back to your initial question of not being able to find a quantity listed for the braking system.
I know that people have already provided multiple answers to my initial question. I fully understand that there is not an exact amount. I have done this job on multiple other vehicles and there is usually an average amount of fluid needed per vehicle (e.g. F-150 needs more than an Accord). My comprehension of the subject is fine. Your attitude is not necessary.

I am thankful for the answers that were provided regarding the amounts used, which was my question. I did not ask about the recommended interval.

Upvote 0
I like to hear other's input, so I found Jmaz's entry useful. My old car had about 60K miles on it when the dealer brought up that it needed the brake fluid changed. They charged a lot to do it so I declined and did it myself. I used a turkey baster to suck some out of the resivor and then did the single person brake pedal pump method, via YT videos I watched.

Upvote 0
Like others had said, the amount for brake fluid change varies. Based on my past experience from other vehicles I’d get 4 12oz bottles just in case and most likely I‘d use less than 3 full bottles.
Hi yrwei52, would you recommend using OEM Mazda brake fluid? or it doesn;t really matter as long as it's DOT3 ? Amazon sells the MAzda OEM, but not sure if it;s worth it, and you think I'll need 4 bottles (12 fluid oz per bottle) for a drain and flush ? https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Upvote 0
Remember, car manufacturers do not make oil, so it's made by someone else. Just get a quart. I don't think I have used any more than that in any vehicle I have done, and that's quiet a few, I use a home made air power bleeder, hooked to my compressor set at 1-2 psi. I used to used Vavoline. If you run a little low, you can grab a small 12 oz bottle from the LPS. (disclaimer) Anything 2017 and above, I think, be sure to deactivate emergency brake procedure.
From the MSDS # on that picture from Amazon it says:
CCI MANUFACTURING IL CORPORATION
ADDRESS: 15550 CANAL BANK ROAD P.O. BOX 339 LEMONT, IL 60439

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi yrwei52, would you recommend using OEM Mazda brake fluid? or it doesn;t really matter as long as it's DOT3 ? Amazon sells the MAzda OEM, but not sure if it;s worth it, and you think I'll need 4 bottles (12 fluid oz per bottle) for a drain and flush ? https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I’m the one always prefer to use OEM parts and fluids, especially if the fresh fluid will mix with old fluid. You never know what would happen when 2 fluids with different brand mixing together which may have some kind of chemistry reaction. Learned the lesson long time ago when I used popular Prestone coolant at the time to top off my VW Vanagon and what a mess!

On the other hand brake fluids are simple and shouldn’t have issues when you mix as long as they’re in the same classification. Mazda recommends DOT 3 and use any name brand DOT 3 brake fluid should be fine. Some even use DOT 4 for higher broiling temperature point.

I’d get 4 cans of 12 oz brake fluid and that should be sufficient if you use manual press-the-brake-pedal bleeding method. Buying several small cans has an advantage of that if you have a can left, it can be saved for later use as long as the seal isn’t broken.

Watch for the Amazon Mazda brake fluid in your link. The part number 0000-77-130E-10 seems to be superseded by 0000-77-130E-20. Due to the problem of shipping chemical liquid products you may be better off getting the OEM brake fluid at a local Mazda dealer who doesn’t mark up the parts over MSRP、is willing to do the price match、or has the discount coupon available on parts.

F2DD2210-4343-425B-8AE0-06AA8FDF8967.jpeg

Upvote 0
Remember, car manufacturers do not make oil, so it's made by someone else.
Yes, but the OEM oils and fluids, including all OEM parts are made by someone else with given specifications by car manufactures, Mazda Genuine ATF FZ、Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 as the examples.

Upvote 0
Yes, but the OEM oils and fluids, including all OEM parts are made by someone else with given specifications by car manufactures, Mazda Genuine ATF FZ、Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 as the examples.
I agree with you, I just looked up the Safety Data Sheet to see who manufactured it.. This it what it says on their website.

They are approved by leading auto manufacturers like Daimler, Ford,
and many Japanese auto manufacturing subsidiaries overseas.
Within Japan, almost all auto manufacturers use "Golden Cruiser" in their new vehicles, boosting its domestic market share to approximately 60% with engine coolant, and approximately 40% with brake fluid.
Having established overseas subsidiaries in the United States, Thailand, Taiwan, and China,
CCI has earned worldwide trust from customers as the "Global Standard".

Upvote 0
Back