Brake caliper interchangeability

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Hi all. I would like to know if i can use 2007 ford edge front calipers on my 2007 CX-9? I noticed that the part numbers from autozone are almost the same except that the cx-9 has an s after the a in the part number where as the edge only has the a. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Almost forgot are the rear calipers compatible also.

I'd say be careful with what you buy. I just changed both on my 2012 CX9, purchased from Advance. They listed Wagner on the site but the right front they gave me a CarQuest unit. It was perfect and bolted right up. The right side was a Wagner unit and the bracket it came with had a different bolt pattern that would not accept the bolts that were on the vehicle. I ended up having to strip the new Wagner bracket of the boots and bolts and moving them to the original bracket. Took quite some time and was annoying to say the least.

Based on my experience, even ordering the right part does not guarantee a fit. If you have another vehicle and can bring a bolt to check the fit before leaving the store that may be a good idea. I'd never have thought it would be necessary but in my case it would have saved a lot of grief.

If my car was worth the expense I would go with brake performance. I just need the cheapest replacement to pass inspection. The car stops on a dime. I believe though that the calipers are starting to seize up because I hear a noise. The book value on my car is around 3 grand in excellent condition. I heard CARQUEST is good I will probably go with either raybestos or centric as their warranty is longer. Another thing I wanted to ask is has anyone ever had to return cores for any part they purchased at rock auto either for their Mazda or other brand vehicle. How was the experience and was it easy to do the core return, thanks again.

Brakes can makes noise for many different reasons. Excess brake dust can be one or hot spots or grooving in the rotors. Also make sure you have grease between the shims and brake pad. If the piston in the caliper was worn to the point of seizing you would have stopping issues. If your brakes are worn enough I would replace both the pads and rotors.

I don't know what changed exactly, but the caliper parts on the Edge changed in 2010/2011. I think they added an engine or trim option, so there might be multiple part numbers for the edge. The CX-9 part numbers are consistent from 2007-2015. It appears that one of the 2011+ Edge caliper part numbers would probably work on the CX-9.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Rock Auto, but I've never done a core exchange there. Shipping auto parts gets really expensive fast - they are heavy and UPS/FedEx charges mere mortals like you and I a lot for heavy items. I once sold a set of coilovers to someone on a forum, and the shipping was somewhere near $100 because of the weight.

Amazon sells auto parts now - I'd check there if you were trying to get something cheap. If you have Prime, they will ship the parts for nothing, which can be a big money saver. Their prices are usually close to Rock Auto, but the free shipping can tip it in Amazon's favor.

Sending back to rock auto is not a problem. You use the option of them sending you a label much cheaper than you trying to do it on your own. They just deduct it from the refund. I guess I will find out as I ordered 2 front calipers. I also ordered 2 new hoses and 2 new hose clips. I really don't want to go back and forth with this. I just want to get it done time is an issue as I cannot get time off for now.

Update: Much better to do the shipping using the rock auto label. From the time i sent it back which was monday at noon to the time i got the email on friday letting me know that more core charge was refunded and also the time it got credited to my account was a total of 6 days. Hope this information can help someone.

Back