Brake/Caliper Corrosion on 2016 CX-5

bgwilliams78

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
Is anyone experiencing unusual amounts of corrosion and rust on the brakes of the CX-5. I had my tires swapped this week from winter to summer and I was shocked at the amount of corrosion and rust on the brakes.

I do live in a place where salt is used on the roads during the winter months, but I have never experienced this before on any of my previous vehicles.

Are you talking about the brake rotor "hat" (the portion directly behind the wheel mounting flange) or the working part of the disc? If it's the hat, this is normal; and salt on the road (which should be a criminal offense as far as I'm concerned!) only makes it worse.

Are you talking about the brake rotor "hat" (the portion directly behind the wheel mounting flange) or the working part of the disc? If it's the hat, this is normal; and salt on the road (which should be a criminal offense as far as I'm concerned!) only makes it worse.

See the attached pictures. This is the worst I have ever seen on a vehicle only 9 months old, salt exposed or not. I checked out my sister's 2016 Rav 4 and there is nothing on it. If this is normal for Mazda, IMO, their quality standard is not very high.

Attachments

• 20160505_101103.jpg
    20160505_101103.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 20160505_101120.jpg
    20160505_101120.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 769
Well the rotor looks to be about what I would expect under the conditions you describe. The caliper surprises me a bit, but I don't live in that kind of climate. I'm sure others here have more experience with this issue.

Oh by the way I live in Panama we don't use salt on the road. Tropical humid climate.

Sent from my LG-D400 using Tapatalk

WOW, my cx-5 has little corrosion on the rotor edge, but the rest looks very fine. I lived in California, so not a lots rain.

I live in Maine and we get plenty of salt on our roads during inclement weather in winter.

I've had my CX5 13 months now, and there isn't any significant rusting, let alone what your showing. But I did wash my vehicle every 2-4 weeks.

So is it a good idea to flush with a water hose that area frequently or would that start rusting?

The posted pictures are more of salt corrosion and not a rusting?

Last edited:
Here in Hokkaido, Japan they salt the roads and my Mazda3 has ZERO rust on/in the calipers.(gone through 2 salt seasons)
Rust on the discs is normal, but not directly on the calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Disk is the part the brake pads press against. The caliper is the part holding the pads. I think it is unusual to have rust on that part of the disk that the pads presses on unless the brakes are unused for quite awhile.

The Disk is the part the brake pads press against. The caliper is the part holding the pads. I think it is unusual to have rust on that part of the disk that the pads presses on unless the brakes are unused for quite awhile.
Rotor will often flash rust like that. It's only surface oxidation and wears off with the first stop of the brakes. could probably wipe most of it with your finger. The steal rotors have no protective coating or anything so they flash rust pretty quickly.

Road salt is also a regular thing in Minnesota winter, we made it a habit to wash the cars even in winter as soon as the temp got above 35F. It's also easy to just hook up the pressure washer and blast through the bottom briefly, that has been keeping the rust at bay so far.

My 2016 CX-5 had rear rotors replaced (under warranty) at 7000km (4350 miles) Dealer claimed they were rusted out. The vehicle now has 17000Km (10500 miles) and they are changing out the rear (again) and front rotors (under warranty) for rust issues. Local dealer claims I'm not using the vehicle enough. I am in contact with Mazada and they say they are researching to see if the problem is a wide spread issue. Other than having one or two rotors 'cut,' I have never had rotors replaced on any vehicle in 50 years of driving

Here in northern Illinois they use PLENTY of salt on the roads in winter. So much so that the roads are normally white, not from snow either.

I've gotten into the habit of heating up the brakes prior to parking my vehicles for any length of time. A couple/three hard stops before parking in the garage will heat them up enough to dry em out.

Here's pics of the rotors from my 2003 Silverado. This is the reason that I heat my brakes up prior to parking during the salt season now.

To say that I was shocked by the condition of these rotors would be an understatement. I'm surprised that the truck stopped as well as it did.

outside of the rotors.

picture.php

inside.

picture.php

I also had to replace ALL of the brake lines with stainless on this truck after one of the lines corroded so badly that the line blew out while I was backing out of my garage. Thanks GM.[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi. I just had to have my front rotors replaced after only 15000 miles. The rear rotors are also corroded and will also have to be replaced. I was told this was not covered by warranty - that it was a"maintenance issue" because I live near the sea and "don't drive enough." I have lived in the same place and had the same driving patterns for 10 years and had two other cars during this time. No issues at all with rotor corrosion on those cars

I painted my calipers at 12 months (about a year) just because they looked ugly through the wheels. I pressure wash around the brakes every week so not much chance for corrosive substances to settle round the brakes. They will rust more with low mileage cars but keep in mind that the wear debris from the pads can be quite corrosive.

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

that corrosion is absolutely not normal. I live in toronto where lots of salt is used, and our 2015 mazda 6 brakes do not look like that. hell, I have seen old brakes with less rust then that.

I would go to a mechanic, have the brakes lubed, serviced and coated with something.

Back