Bought Used 08 CX-9 No keys. Only 1 smart card need help.

Bought it used, got a killer deal, and was just informed after 2 days that the car dealership who is not car make specific lost the 2nd smart card or can't find it. So now I'm searching everywhere high and low to get a replacement for less than $535 the closest New Mazda dealership wants to charge. I tried calling a few locksmiths also and no dice so far, one I have to call one last one highly recommended Monday after they open. So from my understanding, I have to have the smart card to start the car(can this be bypassed?). I have to have 2 working smart cards to program a 3rd. Right now, I have 1 smart card 0 key blades/emergency keys and the smart card i have works only half the time replaced the battery today and that made no difference. Can I buy a blank transponder key and have it cut and programed by a locksmith using the vin# of my car? All I want to do is have at least 1 emergency key blade for the time being. But if anyone knows of a better route please let me know, I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Starting a car should never be this hard.

Last edited:
Bump. have done more research. Do you have to have a proximity smart key card to start the car, or can I get a aftermarket keyfob or key with the correct transponder fcc id and have it cut and programed by a locksmith? The trim level of my CX-9 is Sport, not touring or grand touring. At this point I don't care about having keyless entry, I just want a spare key or 2 to just be able to start the car.

Last edited:
To start the car, you need the key or the smart-key. This can't be bypassed. Look on e-Bay for a smart-key, then have it programmed by a technician or locksmith.

You are aware that the smart-key has a key in it? Do you not have this key?

To start the car, you need the key or the smart-key. This can't be bypassed. Look on e-Bay for a smart-key, then have it programmed by a technician or locksmith.

You are aware that the smart-key has a key in it? Do you not have this key?
Nope, no insert in the bottom right corner. Its missing, had I known what I know now I would have got the price down even more when I bought it. So when you say smart key, do you mean a key with a transponder chip in it? One that I can get cut and programmed to the car? My car still has a traditional ignition but just has the plastic cover over it i can remove and insert a key. My question is, if I get a key with only a chip not a whole keyfob have it cut and programmed, will it start the car. I was told be the dealership I need one that is $345, $125 to program, and $74 for the key blade insert. Attached a photo so you can understand better, I'm wondering if I can get a uncut like the photo that says it fits the 08 cx9 have it cut and programmed. I'm beginning to think I'm losing my mind, there is too much info out there that conflicts, I just want a key that will start the engine and manually unlock the doors. Lol
Screenshot_20200509-111243_Amazon Shopping.jpg
key

Last edited:
Nope, no insert in the bottom right corner. Its missing, had I known what I know now I would have got the price down even more when I bought it.
That sucks.

So when you say smart key, do you mean a key with a transponder chip in it? One that I can get cut and programmed to the car?
Correct. "Smart-key" refers to the big square keyfob that does the keyless entry and immobilizer. "Key" is the key in the corner that you are missing, it will always open the drivers door and start the vehicle when put in the ignition.

My car still has a traditional ignition but just has the plastic cover over it i can remove and insert a key. My question is, if I get a key with only a chip not a whole keyfob have it cut and programmed, will it start the car. I was told be the dealership I need one that is $345, $125 to program, and $74 for the key blade insert. Attached a photo so you can understand better, I'm wondering if I can get a uncut like the photo that says it fits the 08 cx9 have it cut and programmed. I'm beginning to think I'm losing my mind, there is too much info out there that conflicts, I just want a key that will start the engine and manually unlock the doors. LolView attachment 224555 key
That dealer pricing makes sense for whole new smart-key, programmed and cut. Yes you can do as you say and just get a key cut. You will have a light or two lit up on the dash as the car will keep telling you that it doesn't see a smart-key and there is a security issue, but sounds like you don't care about that.

Back