Bought a new (to me) 2008 Mazda3 and I only got a single lousy key

:
2010 Mazda 5 Sport
Didn't get a Key fob either. It's a Grand Touring with Sunroof and teal paint.

I assume it should have keyless entry? How do I figure out which Fob I need?

It should be, but I am not certain about that. My 2008 MX5 has a keyless fob. There are stores online that specialize in key fobs but read up on what else is required. Hopefully someone with a 2008 3 will chime in.

Well, I looked at the Mazda Brochure and it is actually an "S Touring"...and not an "S Grand Touring". It's a hatchback with the 2.3L engine but no leather and other things.

From the Owner's manual, they show either a 3 button key blade or 3 button fob.

I got a regular key so I think it's going to be the 3 button fob but I see a 4 button fob out there that says it fits the 2008. But I wonder if the sedan only had the remote trunk feature? did the hatchback too?

Last edited:
Sorry. Let me rephrase that. :)
In 2003, Mazda's compact car was called the Mazda Protege. In 2004, the Mazda 3 was introduced. Therefore there is no 2003 Mazda 3 key. The key fob must be for a 2004+ car.

The title of his post states that he just bought a 2008 Mazda 3. Most likely, the "2003" he posted was a typo.

So the plot thickens.

Found this...it looks aftermarket to me....not sure what it is for, but internet sluething says most likely remote start.

20200919_232135[1].jpg

And yet another twist. So, my daughter claimed there was nothing in the glove box...but of course, I checked to be sure...and found the MAZDA Remote Start/Security Accessory manual.

So maybe that antenna box is OEM?

I would also need a special remote start Key Fob?

I'm hoping the plain 3 button ones I ordered will work. We don't care about the remote start or anti-theft.

Yep, found the full install manual on-line and it has that antenna box pictured in it. So I guess it is OEM afterall.

I'm getting the standard key-fobs tomorrow. If they program, then great. I'm just going to get a key or two made, stick that thing back up on the windshield and call it a day and forget the remote start. Hopefully the immobilizer never wakes up.

If they DON'T program...Imma gonna dig into things and rip out the remote start module and immobilizer. I'm glad I found the install guide. I can just reverse what they did.

Mostly it's inserting a wiring harness in the middle of things and tapping into other harness wires.

Fun fun.

It'll be interesting to see how the remotes turn out. (y)

So update time!

Got the standard 3 button fobs (not the switch blade) and they programmed just fine. Well, there was a small hitch. They installed the circuit board in upside down so the panic and lock buttons were reversed. A little annoying thinking the things didn't work right. Flipped the circuit board around and GTG!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
...so I also went to the locksmith and had them cut 2 keys and program them. $75 per. Whatever. I was sweating things because they were having issues. I was worried that the immobilizer was causing a problem. But they just needed their "pro" machine to do it and now I have 3 keys and 3 fobs!

Last edited:
WAIT! One final twist!

So I yanked the battery so I could do other work under the hood. It was a 7 year old battery...may as well get a replacement....it looked beat even though it worked. I was chasing down an issue with the fog lights...had to disconnect the computer and remove the battery box (dropped a nut under it). I disconnected the wiring harness from the fuse box too. Didn't figure out the issue ( I have since...but another story)

Later in the day, I took the battery to Autozone and swapped for a new one. Got back, put everything back together and hooked up the positive terminal and as soon as the negative terminal touched...HONK HONK HONK!

JFC! The car was throwing a fit. Lights inside and out were going off. Horn blasting away, interior chime going nuts. Relays just clicking away. Thought I had hooked up the battery wrong.

I thought I fried the poor thing.

Yanked the negative terminal. Double/Triple checked it...nope. I got it right.

I was pissed. I thought I had screwed up a connection somewhere. Double checked...no pins bent/messed up on the CPU or the fuse box. All fuses look correct as compared to the picture I took before messing with them.

I pulled the horn relay to save the neighbors' ears.

Couldn't start the car, nothing. Nothing worked.

I noticed when it was hooked up, it was the same pattern over and over.

Had the damn immobilizer woken up? Without the 4 button fobs that come with the immobilizer...I don't think there is a way to shut it off. Well...no way to do it "nicely".

I was all out of bubblegum so time to kick some ass.

I pulled out the MAZDA remote start/immobilizer install manual (thank god I found it online prior) and spent half the day ripping open the dash, and removed the stupid thing. It's basically 2 boxes put in the middle of the stock ignition wiring harness. Unplug the stock wiring harness from the immobilizer harness and plug the 2 ends of the stock harness back together.

Hooked up the battery. No crazy noise. No flashing lights.

Car started right up.

Removed the rest of that abomination and chucked it in the trash.

-Mike

Last edited:
Wow! What a nightmare! Glad to see you are back on the road.

Back