Bought 2016 CX-9 with new Engine from a Mazda dealer, now having problems (Need Advice)

Last week I traveled from San Antonio, TX to Colmar, PA. I purchased a 2016 CX9 Signature, it has a brand new engine installed by the Mazda dealership and is suppose to have a 12 month 12,000 miles nationwide warranty through Mazda. I drove the car back with no problems. I got home Saturday. Left it in the garage Sunday and went to drive it on Monday morning. That's when I got a check engine light. The car was hesitating when I pushed the gas. I went directly to Mazda because I had already had an appointment to get Andriod Auto installed. After them checking it out they said it was a MAS Air Flow censor. They claim it wasn't covered under the engine warranty and charged almost $500 to change. I wasn't happy about this but the dealer in PA said they would reimburse me. BUT after I paid the gouging price for the repair I drove off only to find the vehicle still doing something (maybe worse) just no check engine light. So I took it back now there saying it's something to do with the MAP and MAT sensor and some wiring harness needs to be clean. They ask if I have a warranty, I said "no" because this vehicle has a BRAND NEW ENGINE. Now there trying to take to Mazda Dealer in PA and Mazda corporate.

What should I do if they make me pay? Do you think it's a Lemon? Do you believe these sensors should be covered under the new engine warranty? I like the vehicle but can I trust it or should I trade it in and pay the loss? What do you think is going to happen and how should I handle this? Thanks!

The new engine is probably just the engine, not all the sensors and attachments to the engine. Typically they would unplug all these devices, move them out of the way, change the engine, and reattach all the stuff.

It is unfortunately typical that the 2nd dealership misdiagnosed the problem. It could be something as simple as one of the device plugs coming loose. Have a discussion with the actual service manager, not just one of the service writers. Explain that you want the old mass air flow sensor reinstalled and your money refunded. (They've probably tossed the old MAF, but you should still get the refund. It didn't fix your problem.) Always be firm and business-courteous.

Every time when taking the car in for service be sure the problem you're there for is written on the service order--in this case, "check engine light. The car was hesitating when I pushed the gas." Don't accept just the service writer's guess on how to fix your problem. Don't sign the service order until the problem is written there, and always test the car before you pay. No fix, no pay. It doesn't matter what new parts they installed. You usually don't go there for specific new parts--you go there to get a problem fixed.

The new engine is probably just the engine, not all the sensors and attachments to the engine. Typically they would unplug all these devices, move them out of the way, change the engine, and reattach all the stuff.

It is unfortunately typical that the 2nd dealership misdiagnosed the problem. It could be something as simple as one of the device plugs coming loose. Have a discussion with the actual service manager, not just one of the service writers. Explain that you want the old mass air flow sensor reinstalled and your money refunded. (They've probably tossed the old MAF, but you should still get the refund. It didn't fix your problem.) Always be firm and business-courteous.

Every time when taking the car in for service be sure the problem you're there for is written on the service order--in this case, "check engine light. The car was hesitating when I pushed the gas." Don't accept just the service writer's guess on how to fix your problem. Don't sign the service order until the problem is written there, and always test the car before you pay. No fix, no pay. It doesn't matter what new parts they installed. You usually don't go there for specific new parts--you go there to get a problem fixed.
Thanks. The dealer here says it needs a new Emissions Wiring Harness and a MAP sensor. They want $2,014. The seller in PA told them to just change the connectors but the dealer says they don't feel comfortable doing that. But they now trying to see if they can just clean it off. Am so stressed out over this I just got the vehicle and haven 't even made a payment.

Why did it have a brand new engine given it's only a 2016 car?
Coolant leak ruin engine. It's a known problem on 2016 CX9s. The water pump is inside the engine or something and you can't see it. When it goes it leaks into the engine. The new upgraded engine has resolved the issue in regards to access to the water pump.

Update they are going to change the emission wiring harness and map sensor. Mazda is helping out (there is a TSB out about this exact problem) and the selling dealer in PA will reimburse me the remainder of $300 I have to pay here at the local dealer. Thank GOD! I hope I don't have any other issues with the vehicle. They have had it longer than I have now.

Once they get your car fixed right you'll like it a lot. My 2016 has never needed a repair, only scheduled maintenance.

Back