Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

For the benefit of others with same issue. 2014 CX5 diesel. 135,000 km. Engine warning light on, short drive to mechanics. Low power (acceleration). Car had entered ‘limp’ mode to protect itself. Coolant had sprayed over engine. My mechanic looked over it and advised combustion gasses entering coolant system, = blown head gasket.

Towed to Mazda dealership. They reached same conclusion, Mazda Australia head office approved and paid for engine replacement.

Full mazda dealer service history.

@CX5inAus that mon ami is the difference between "close our borders fast to shut out Covid" Australia and Brexit Britain ... Mazda UK is a completely different beast backed up the Ombudsman (regulator) ... I'm just waiting for the lawsuit

I heard a rumour the Mazda diesels are actually Ford engines in the UK ... but I don't want to be sued after forking out like 4 grand

Hello, find below my post with all the known problems and PROMISED solution…

2015 CX-5 2.2 Diesel, owned from new fully serviced, always use quality fuel as recommended by dealer when I bought it.
Yesterday, without any previous issue or warning the "DPF Malfunction" warning came on. A Mazda dealership in the UK have told me today that my head gasket has blown, I have carbon build up in the inlet manifold, and an exhaust gas sensor failure. They gave quoted me £3400 for repair with the possibility of a further £2400 for a new engine head if its warped or damaged. Plus the cost of any other parts they discover in the process.
So, on car valued at around £8600 (Webuyanycar.com) it makes my car not worth repairing and therefore a write off. Why would you spend that much when it's likely to happen again.?
Interestingly, even though the fault displayed on the dash is "DPF Malfunction" the Mazda dealership has not included any DPF related items in the quote???
I didn't know, until finding this article, that these cars are so bad. They clearly know there is a problem worldwide, and that's how the mechanic who looked at my car diagnosed head gasket failure within 3 minutes or so.

So from new to 48500 miles and not worth repairing, without doubt the worst new car investment I ever made, and I've had a few new cars.

Never, ever, ever a Madza again for me.

2015 CX-5 2.2 Diesel, owned from new fully serviced, always use quality fuel as recommended by dealer when I bought it.
Yesterday, without any previous issue or warning the "DPF Malfunction" warning came on. A Mazda dealership in the UK have told me today that my head gasket has blown, I have carbon build up in the inlet manifold, and an exhaust gas sensor failure. They gave quoted me £3400 for repair with the possibility of a further £2400 for a new engine head if its warped or damaged. Plus the cost of any other parts they discover in the process.
So, on car valued at around £8600 (Webuyanycar.com) it makes my car not worth repairing and therefore a write off. Why would you spend that much when it's likely to happen again.?
Interestingly, even though the fault displayed on the dash is "DPF Malfunction" the Mazda dealership has not included any DPF related items in the quote???
I didn't know, until finding this article, that these cars are so bad. They clearly know there is a problem worldwide, and that's how the mechanic who looked at my car diagnosed head gasket failure within 3 minutes or so.

So from new to 48500 miles and not worth repairing, without doubt the worst new car investment I ever made, and I've had a few new cars.

You shouldn't use webuyanycar.com as a price gauge. They are carflippers and want to get your car at rockbottom pricing.

Use kellyblue book , edmunds or look up current sales values at dealerships in your country to get you in the ballpark.

If you have the engine fixed, it should be worth close to the going rate which for a 2015 appears to be around 23000 USD. Probably still worth it to fix it even if you sell it.

Granted, the vehicle shouldnt have crapped after so little miles, but if you had driven more miles, it would have happened while still under warranty.

Regardless of what your next vehicle is, as you are a low miles driver, you should game the system and maybe buy a 3 year old car that comes with an manufacturer extended warranty. That way, you'll pay less for the car and the previous owner would have put some miles on it to hopefully weed out any major problems. And youll have an extended warranty for any other problems within the next few years.

As an aside, Ive had toyotas, chevys and fords last for over 12 years with 200,000 miles without any major problems, an disappointed that mazda engines have problems and hope my mazda lasts just as long.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

You can always try to contact Mazda UK and complain. If you're in Taiwan you'll get a new engine no questions asked. Some in Australia got lucky received a new engine for free without any warranty.

@CX5inAus that mon ami is the difference between "close our borders fast to shut out Covid" Australia and Brexit Britain ... Mazda UK is a completely different beast backed up the Ombudsman (regulator) ... I'm just waiting for the lawsuit

I heard a rumour the Mazda diesels are actually Ford engines in the UK ... but I don't want to be sued after forking out like 4 grand
Have you had any more joy? Looks like our car (2015 2.2 D CX5) is going through the same thing with head gasket gone causing issues. Seems these engines are awful, just wish we did more research on them before we bought it 2nd hand earlier this year...

I live in Tasmania, Australia.
My Mazda CX5 diesel had serious problems. I am not sure of the exact issues; but coolant was sprayed everywhere, and the vehicle started spluttering. I contacted Mazda Australia, and I can only say that the service I had was outstanding. I was told to get the vehicle to the nearest dealership for assessment. There was admittedly a week's delay but following that, I was told that despite my vehicle being numerous years out of warranty, the company would replace the engine. Furthermore, because I used the car for business, they supplied a temporary near new Mazda CX5 for my use. As it was Covid time, there were delays in the delivery of the new engine, maybe 8 weeks? I had the replacement vehicle until my car was fixed.
When I come to replace my Mazda, another Mazda will be on the top of my list. I can't fault their service.
Bring on the EVs

Exactly same thing here with CX-5 D 6AUTO AKERA DIESEL AWD . (In Australia)
Car currently at Mazda awaiting assessment. Had no warning lights etc for car overheating but noticed coolant blowing back over engine from overflow tube while driving. It was only when querying this that the problem was discovered.

Note: A recall was done a few months ago and from that day on engine fan would stay on for a minute after driving reasonable distance when it hadnt before. Mazda rep has said this has nothing to do with possible head gasket failure...."R201912 2019/17867 The affected vehicles equipped with the 2.2 ltr diesel engine may be susceptible to fuel injector power loss, wear in the fuel return hose and engine vacuum pump, restricted opening of the intake shutter valve and combustion leak within the engine, resulting in a deterioration in engine performance."
Hi, can you please tell us what happened in your case? Was the car under warranty? I am currently having the same issue, and next Monday is the final assessment. My car was recalled for a combustion leak in 2020, and the initial assessment confirmed it to be a combustion coolant leak.

Hi, can you please tell us what happened in your case? Was the car under warranty? I am currently having the same issue, and next Monday is the final assessment. My car was recalled for a combustion leak in 2020, and the initial assessment confirmed it to be a combustion coolant leak.
Where are you at? What is the MY and mileage? You’re trying to get an answer from a member posting almost 5 years ago. He/she did get a free diesel engine even though his/her CX-5 diesel was 2 years past the Australian warranty. See post #54 in previous page. But his/her 2015 CX-5 2.2L diesel was only 5 years old at the time, and based on the reports here Mazda Australia is the most generous giving a free new engine to out of warranty Mazda vehicles with this known “coolant explosion” problem. The only other country to give you a new 2.2L diesel for such problem without warranty is Taiwan, where the government has forced Mazda Taiwan to give owners a lifetime warranty to cover such problem.

If you’re in Australia, use the posts here trying to argue with Mazda Australia and hopefully they’ll give you a free new engine for this known issue. Keep us posted.

Back