Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

Hello people
Lets all band together and approach Mazda as one

I have posted a similar message asking other people with same issue on another site ...you are not alone

I have a 2.2 Diesel 2014 Mazda CX5 . I am based in the UK however a Mazda is a Mazda they use pretty much the same engine.
Please can you contact me with your issues , how much you paid , dates etc and I will get all of our issues together and present them to Mazda (if these companies claim to be multi-nationals then nationality and location doesnt matter here folks)
I have a quote of £2-4k from my garage and they said this is very common. I said go ahead I will argue it out with Mazda so my car is still in the garage. This happens all the time with these particular engines
So far here is what I know: EGR issues lead to overheating lead to head gasket lead to cylinder block issues - you are lucky if the garage diagnosed that first time usually you have had water pump fan radiator issues before you get to that point
I’m in Australia, Mazda 2 years out of warranty but they just replaced engine at absolutely no charge. Initially I was told I would have to pay for diagnostic but they didn’t even charge me that, just did it all under “goodwill” . Very impressed and would definitely buy another Mazda based on service received

I’m in Australia, Mazda 2 years out of warranty but they just replaced engine at absolutely no charge. Initially I was told I would have to pay for diagnostic but they didn’t even charge me that, just did it all under “goodwill” . Very impressed and would definitely buy another Mazda based on service received
You’re a few lucky ones getting the diesel engine replaced for free without warranty, but many others are getting burned by this diesel over-heating without warning problem. We’ve seen quite a few postings here asking for opinions for this diesel problem as Mazda Australia refused to do anything on it. The post by MAVEEH above is legit and it took a group of Mazda fan club in Taiwan protesting in front of Mazda Taiwan headquarter and submitting petitions repeatedly to the government official to get an agreement from Mazda Taiwan for life-time free diesel engine replacement with such over-heating problem.

You’re a few lucky ones getting the diesel engine replaced for free without warranty, but many others are getting burned by this diesel over-heating without warning problem. We’ve seen quite a few postings here asking for opinions for this diesel problem as Mazda Australia refused to do anything on it. The post by MAVEEH above is legit and it took a group of Mazda fan club in Taiwan protesting in front of Mazda Taiwan headquarter and submitting petitions repeatedly to the government official to get an agreement from Mazda Taiwan for life-time free diesel engine replacement with such over-heating problem.
Hello people
Lets all band together and approach Mazda as one

I have posted a similar message asking other people with same issue on another site ...you are not alone

I have a 2.2 Diesel 2014 Mazda CX5 . I am based in the UK however a Mazda is a Mazda they use pretty much the same engine.
Please can you contact me with your issues , how much you paid , dates etc and I will get all of our issues together and present them to Mazda (if these companies claim to be multi-nationals then nationality and location doesnt matter here folks)
I have a quote of £2-4k from my garage and they said this is very common. I said go ahead I will argue it out with Mazda so my car is still in the garage. This happens all the time with these particular engines
So far here is what I know: EGR issues lead to overheating lead to head gasket lead to cylinder block issues - you are lucky if the garage diagnosed that first time usually you have had water pump fan radiator issues before you get to that point
Hi I posted earlier in this thread. This issue is not going away and as cars approach higher milage they are failing more and more. I am still talking with Mazda after they refused to fix my car. I honestly believe that they sold me a car with an engine that they new had major problems. I bought mine used with full Mazda history. The bad news for those of you who are repairing engines is there are more problems arising so even if you fix the head gasket issues there's a good chance the chain that connects to the oil pump will fail. So far Mazda refused to have anything to do my problem saying the car is out of warranty. This is despite me asking them almost immediately after my purchase about the potential problems I had discovered after purchase. I specifically asked them about turbo failure due to oil contamination issues and they told me to just drive the car and enjoy it. I threatened to take some drastic action and now they have decided to make me offers. 1. replace the engine for a new one 18,000 EUR, I pay half, they pay the other half ( not great when you consider I only paid 14,000 EUR the car ) 2. I pay half the parts costs and all of the labour to replace the head gasket. 3. One of the mechanics who works in the service Dept offered me 3,000EUR to buy the complete car from me ( very professional )
My DRASTIC ACTION I have told them I had had enough of their B=llshit. To emphasise how p=ssed off I am I will be Cutting the roof off the car and FILLLING it with b=llshit from a local cow farm. Then I will doing my bulls*** car review/competition on YOUTUBE asking people to guess who much b=llshit you can fit inside a CX5. I am making preparations over this over the Christmas period . I anticipate more b=llshit offers from them in the new year so I am pretty sure this will be my only option. I am willing to sacrifice my car to highlight this problem for all of US, who have been stitched up and to warn others about buying these crappy cars. . They are still offering these for sale on Mazda's used car Uk website. it's vile and disgusting trying to offload them like this. They will argue that they are under warranty but most have low milage and a year down the line when the warranty runs out other owners will be in the same position as US LOT and told to go and do one. I called three Mazda Dealers and all three of the sales b=llshitters told me this is a reliable and safe car. ( I recorded the conversations) lying b=st=rds. Watch this space...

You’re a few lucky ones getting the diesel engine replaced for free without warranty, but many others are getting burned by this diesel over-heating without warning problem. We’ve seen quite a few postings here asking for opinions for this diesel problem as Mazda Australia refused to do anything on it. The post by MAVEEH above is legit and it took a group of Mazda fan club in Taiwan protesting in front of Mazda Taiwan headquarter and submitting petitions repeatedly to the government official to get an agreement from Mazda Taiwan for life-time free diesel engine replacement with such over-heating
Mine was the third engine my local dealership had replaced and I don’t even live in one of the major cities so I can’t imagine how many they have done Australia wide.

Thanks I think NZ and AUS Mazda are alot more accommodating than our Brexit lot, but I will keep at it

Do you know anywhere I can get more information to support this? I am a New Zealand victim of this problem (having suffered the well documented DPF problem last year at 110,000kms, 15,000kms later I blow a head gasket! To be told by Mazda that my car is outside the warranty period (2012 model) and really this is not such a low mileage to be complaining about just doesn't wash! (My 300,000 plus 25 year old Toyota doesn't have this problem.) I would love tpo support my arguments with solid evidence that Mazda are covering the problem in other countries.
Having the same problem in the UK my CX5 is 2015 with 59,000 miles. I have been told that my Head Gasket is going .

Like you I am in Newcastle Australia and my car went in for a 130k service only to find coolant in the engine. I am currently waiting to see what Mazda will do re repairs etc. Could you possibly let me know where you had your car serviced

After threatening to fill my car with crap Mazda started talking to me and took my car for diagnostics and a quote. Just had the quote to replace the head gasket, skim the head rebuild the turbo, new oil filters etc 4700 Euros Mazda will pay half. Then I find this article ( below ) . note the reference to the coolant system being the root cause for the head gasket to fail. I am not convinced that even after this expensive repair it wouldn't recur in the future. In addition to this these engines have a history of oil pump chains braking !

Do you know anywhere I can get more information to support this? I am a New Zealand victim of this problem (having suffered the well documented DPF problem last year at 110,000kms, 15,000kms later I blow a head gasket! To be told by Mazda that my car is outside the warranty period (2012 model) and really this is not such a low mileage to be complaining about just doesn't wash! (My 300,000 plus 25 year old Toyota doesn't have this problem.) I would love tpo support my arguments with solid evidence that Mazda are covering the problem in other countries.
I am also the owner of a nz new 2012 diesel cx5 that has just done a head gasket at 110,000km.There was no warning of a problem until going up a long hill on 27 deg Celsius day at 100 kph engine hot light flashed on for about a second then went out and I got them to check it out when we got home. Luckily I had taken an extended warranty as it needs a new head as well and Mazda said they used to replace the motors under warranty but now insurance will only repair.

Like you I am in Newcastle Australia and my car went in for a 130k service only to find coolant in the engine. I am currently waiting to see what Mazda will do re repairs etc. Could you possibly let me know where you had your car serviced

Hi @NTLMAZDA, do you mind sharing how you go with your car repair?

I had the exact same issue where my mechanic discover coolant sprayed all over my engine bay. A chemical test have revealed a blown head gasket. I am now waiting for a call back from Mazda.

I had my car under the engine recall back in April 2020. I am also from WA where Jen8246 appears to be from. He/She appears to have a favourable outcome from Mazda. I am hoping I will have the repair done under warranty, otherwise it will be a hell of a pain.... =(

Right so the update is as follows

The issue caused £4000 worth of repairs everything from shaving the cylinder blocks , to new gasket , to new water pump the works. The issue also causes your car to be starved of oil and coolant

I have emailed Mazda with loads of evidence reports and receipts but they have gone silent - I will chase them up

I get me car serviced every year and MOT (UK road safety check basically a half a*** job some mechanic does for 10 mins and charges you 50 quid) so I would've hoped someone would've picked the issue up but it seems to be a very very internal issue whos early symptoms are mistaken for "new water pump" "new radiator" etc you will all have had these type of smallish jobs in the run up to the big one

I will update on what Mazda UK say

Mazda Australia replaced my engine for absolutely no charge even though car was 2 years out of warranty. Australian consumer law is very good.
But warning to all… Not long after I had a DPF MALFUNCTION warning come up and on taking it to local Mazda they said it was not related. It definitely was as coolant gets into the DPF and corrodes the insides. This is about a $3000 replacement repair. Local dealer tried to claim it and was knocked back but told me to contact Mazda Australia customer complaints and lodge a complaint. I emailed them then followed up with phone call and they approved the claim and replaced DPF free of charge. Happy Days!

BC740B2F-CB2C-4A6B-9026-B09F7A8E62E6.png

Attachments

• 4C487E1C-4825-4762-9AAA-287297E99104.png
    4C487E1C-4825-4762-9AAA-287297E99104.png
    64 KB · Views: 172
  • 7AB1D671-2AEE-46C7-AA13-73A8D4643D81.png
    7AB1D671-2AEE-46C7-AA13-73A8D4643D81.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 654E7B70-D987-4959-B3F4-ADA412ED63F9.png
    654E7B70-D987-4959-B3F4-ADA412ED63F9.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 165
Please, all with this issue in UK and worldwide, can you please add weight to this issue on my Twitter? Hopefully we can get some weight behind this and Mazda will start to hear us.

Hello all,

I have a 2015 CX-5 Skyactive-D 2.2 AWD (KE) .I dont know what model(tier) or whatever is called in every country. It was imported with Japanese specifications in Cyprus,Europe (grey import)

I bought it in 2019 May (around 50000Km and now is around 74000) and now in July 2020 I started having some problems and I discovered the coolant spray over the engine.

Although it was an import I service it at the dealership.I took it for troubleshooting and they told me the reason was pressure from the engine is getting into the coolant circuit which in turn it autoprotects itself by relieving pressure and thus spraying the engine with coolant.They couldnt tell me the root cause (for sure they are not going to admit the design failure) but they offered the following "solution"

1 . Troubleshooting cost : 80 euros (did this and got the above answer)
2 . Top gasket replacement + inspections etc 400 euros (parts+labour)

if no problem was to be found they should look deeper

3 . Engine gasket replacement almost 3000 euros (parts+labour)

The guy over the phone told me "and you know,if we open the engine the car is never going to be the same again".He actually admitted they are worthless
On the above solutions he told me that some people do surface machining when they assemble the engine back BUT Mazda does not recommend that because it would increase engine pressure.So the above mentioned prices are with new components

I asked the price for a new engine and my quote was 7500 euros,a NEW engine not reconditioned
He offered 1 year warranty for this engine and after debating him about the warranty they give for new vehicles he offered me 2 years + 1year which I can buy

I just added to the conversation in order to help others and follow up the topic.
For the time being I just keep an eye on the coolant level and see how far I can go with this
or if ANY kind of solution is there in order to prolong the engine life

Greetings from
Cyprus,Europe

Haha I like how the dealership spin it. The coolant lines and reservoir are not designed to hold pressure build up due to gas leak. Hence when the pressure build up, the lid on the coolant reservoir is forced open causing the coolant to spray out.

try revving your car in park, and look at the coolant reservoir. I suspect you will see bubbling in the coolant reservoir indicating that engine gas is leaking into your coolant lines.

sorry to hear you have a problem. Hopefully Mazda will take care of you.

Hi all and (@Posu )

I have an update on this . So I spent like £4000 repairing this car with a cracked cylinder head and head gasket blown

The local dealer have refused to refunbd

The UK Ombudsman sided with the Local Dealer so I have to take this on the chin

I am just waiting for the day Mazda admit to their dodgy Mazda/Fordy engines then I can sue the UK Ombdusman and Mazda

But yeah I lost in the end

Back