Blind Spot Monitor confused by hitch bike rack?

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Where are the sensors for the blind spot monitoring system? Reason I'm asking is that it seems like the system gets confused whenever I have my 2-bike hitch rack attached to the 1.25" receiver on the back of our CX-5. Like I'll be driving along and out of nowhere one of the mirror lights will come on with no other cars around me. Or sometimes it seems like a car will activate it, but then it gets "stuck" for awhile. Then later on it might go off and the other side will get stuck for awhile. I've even seen both of them stuck on.

Is this a common issue when using rear-mounted or hitch-mounted bike racks? I've gotten to where I just push the button to deactivate the system whenever I have the bike rack on the car.

The sensors are mounted behind the rear valence just behind the rear wheel and yes, the problem you've noticed is common.

I have the same thing happen. When traveling with bikes, I just turn the thing off.

+2 Same thing with ours. I just switch off BSM the first time it reminds me. Ditto for when we tow our 5x8 utility trailer.

+3... common occurrence... I get it when towing trailer and even with a hitch mounted cargo carrier depending on load height of items. I just turn of BSM at these times if it becomes too annoying.

Back