Better sound proofing for the CX-5 2016

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
1 thing I did observe is the 2017 is remarkably quieter than my 2016. In fact its oft said 2016 is quieter than earlier models, so I can imagine. The 2017 though has the base trim with 17-in TrueContact Conti tires whereas mine's 19-in Toyos ; which perhaps generates more noise but nevertheless 2017 is quieter.

I wanted to know if there's any suggestions which can be implemented to reduce cabin noise in 2016. I would prefer not to spend a huge $$ doing it and rather prefer looking at surgically. In other words - do sound proofing in targeted areas only. The one product which comes up frequently is Dynamat but its pretty expensive and heavy. I am sure Mazda did not use it in 2017 as the weight does effect mileage. Oh - would prefer a DIY approach.

There were many pounds of sound deadening added to the 2017. Did I read somewhere 40lbs of it??? Also thicker Glass, added DUAL-door seals to all doors, different suspension bushings, underbody sound deadening panels and insulation as well. It would be very difficult to do all of this work retroactively on a 2013-2016.5.

There are some tires that have the strip of sound deadening foam installed inside.

You can also do the dynamat treatment. Sometimes all it takes is installing just a 4-6 inch square of the dynamat on the large metal panels like interior door skins, under roof skin. This will keep the panel from ring or resonating at frequencies. You can also add some underbody coating.

Unfortunately all of these methods involve removing interior panels, etc. so it would be time consuming, but not out of reach for a DIY'er.

Here is a video with Dave Coleman of Mazda NA, doing a personal walk-around and going over all of the changes and improvements is in this AUTOblog video. https://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/13/2017-mazda-cx-5-first-drive-review/

Last edited:
There were many pounds of sound deadening added to the 2017. Did I read somewhere 40lbs of it??? Also thicker Glass, added DUAL-door seals to all doors, different suspension bushings, underbody sound deadening panels and insulation as well. It would be very difficult to do all of this work retroactively on a 2013-2016.5.

There are some tires that have the strip of sound deadening foam installed inside.

You can also do the dynamat treatment. Sometimes all it takes is installing just a 4-6 inch square of the dynamat on the large metal panels like interior door skins, under roof skin. This will keep the panel from ring or resonating at frequencies. You can also add some underbody coating.

Unfortuneatly all of these methods involve removing interior panels, etc. so it would be time consuming, but not out of reach for a DIY'er.
So... just trade in for a 2017+ CX-5? :)

1 thing I did observe is the 2017 is remarkably quieter than my 2016. In fact its oft said 2016 is quieter than earlier models, so I can imagine. The 2017 though has the base trim with 17-in TrueContact Conti tires whereas mine's 19-in Toyos ; which perhaps generates more noise but nevertheless 2017 is quieter.

I wanted to know if there's any suggestions which can be implemented to reduce cabin noise in 2016. I would prefer not to spend a huge $$ doing it and rather prefer looking at surgically. In other words - do sound proofing in targeted areas only. The one product which comes up frequently is Dynamat but its pretty expensive and heavy. I am sure Mazda did not use it in 2017 as the weight does effect mileage. Oh - would prefer a DIY approach.

You said this in the other thread:

"The only real difference I am feeling is 2017 is a bit quieter perhaps and my son agreed - RAV4 was even quieter."

And now you think it is remarkably quieter?

The one thing I do on all my cars is to clean and vaseline the seals. Can make a big difference in wind noise.

You said this in the other thread:

"The only real difference I am feeling is 2017 is a bit quieter perhaps and my son agreed - RAV4 was even quieter."

And now you think it is remarkably quieter?

The one thing I do on all my cars is to clean and vaseline the seals. Can make a big difference in wind noise.

Yes it is!! Its an amazing car - 2016, 16.5 or 17. I drove alone 45 miles and found 2017 to be SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than 2016. I can't compare anymore with RAV4 as its now sometime back but definitely quieter.
I was checking few other threads - some recommend what you you just stated - vaseline / 303 rubber protection was also recommended. In addition - wheel well (?) insulation : not sure where that is. Then - suggested to move inside, i.e. trims/etc. A mechanic I had used before (body work) said to me he can replace the current glass with sound insulated glass but its $$$$. So - ignoring that.

How do you "vaseline the seals"?

2142qd.jpg

It was a good thing I wasn't drinking my tea when I saw the replies on here LOL

I have not driven a 2017 by my 2016.5 is quiet and our roads are noisy here in Oregon. My doors have double seals so I wonder if that was a change in 2016.5 from the 2016.

Question - could it be due to me used to 19" TOYO (5/32 tread) vs. 17" Geolanders (new)?

sound deadening vs sound proofing

Yeah ... did my research -> definitely not worth it.

Just to clarify, there is a difference btwn sound deadening and sound proofing. IIRC, applying deadener material, i.e. Dynamat, Boommat, Damplifier Pro, etc., or basically adhesive backed asphalt style sheet material, is a good way to reduce a panel's resonance potential - think turning a "ping" into a "thunk". In essence, you are changing the mass of the item you applied the material to and the "heavier" item now has a lower resonate frequency. Some could perceived this as noise reduction.

Yes, applying this sound deadener material in varying quantities in strategic locations (inside doors, on the roof, under the carpet) can reduce noise or vibration caused by speakers (bass) or road and wind noise (tire noise and road surface imperfections). This material can even reduce the hollow or tin sound of the roof when it is raining hard (our non-sunroof Touring is guilty of this). However, applying a sound deadener is only part of the equation.

To achieve ultimate tomb, "Cone of Silence" like quietness, you need to go one step further. Along with sound deadener, some companies offer sound proofing material in the form of closed cell foam and/or mass loaded vinyl. (See link provided at bottom). These products, are designed to actually absorb sound waves and make them less audible. An example of this would be a bad guy in a movie using a pillow as a gun silencer when he/she needs to knock down the sound of the gun shot. The pillow absorbs some of the sound and makes the shooting less "noticeable"...okay, maybe not the best example, but close enough.

The combination of both the deadener (usually over applied in gross amounts) and the sound proofing materials will ultimately give you a quieter interior. If you choose to go down this road, you will have to be fully committed and do your homework.

There are liquid version of these material that can be sprayed in places, like the wheel wells and underside of the passenger cabin AND in more serious cases, inside the cabin during full rebuilds/interior stripping.

I think even some folks have reported positive results by applying paint on bed-liner products to their wheel wells. In fact, I know of a person in AZ that coated his entire car (Audi A4) in bedliner and he said the road and wind noise dramatically decreased inside the cabin. I'm not saying you have to go to that extreme, but it is just one example of how applying certain materials with certain properties can change the way noise enters/does not enter the cabin.

Some car come with (small) amounts of deadener in the floor, roof, and rear panels, but it is often not enough to achieve the "Lexus" like quietness we would love to have, yet not own a Lexus. Luxury cars often double, triple or quadruple the sound deadening/proofing material that regular cars have.

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/products/
- Not an endorsement, just one more option.

good luck. Cheers. (cheers)

I wonder by how many decibels you can reduce the noise by doing this yourself and if it is really worth it? Let’s say after spending a few hundred dollars you reduce the noise level by 5 decibels. You would need a meter to get this number.

Another point, by using a decibel meter app on my iPhone I saw that a typical reading at 60mph on our ‘17 CX5 was 55-60db. But that was also taken on smooth roadway. There are roadways that are much noisier.

If one wants drastic and dangerous levels of quietness....simply put on some soundproof ear muffs :)

Back