Pedal Commander...Best Mod I have done

well, if it functions like the pedal commander graph shows, a small pedal press might produce a larger opening, such as 50% throttle at 30% pedal press. But then that last 50% throttle is spread out over the remaining 70% of pedal travel. That's what I meant by the top end feeling more sluggish. Less movement for a greater pedal travel up top in the Sport modes.

Ah sorry, I see what you mean. That makes a lot more sense than a "dead spot" at the top end.

The city mode on mine I really like. I like a small throttle tip in to get going. Stocks has always seemed liked too much tip in to me and engine kind felt like it was lugging.

There was a TSB on my old '07 G35x (V36) when they first came out as they had a very aggressive tip in... almost impossible to keep from jerking your head into the headrest from a stop. That TSB desensitized the tip in.

The linear curve of city mode prevents me from going back to stock. It feels more like my old vehicles with a cable throttle. In my use case it has nothing to do with mashing the throttle but car accelerates how I would expect it to. I realize throttle mapping is the way it is for EPA, MPG, CAFE, etc... I've not seen a MPG penalty either. I can't comment on emissions as WA state sent those out to pasture 1.1.2020.

Thinking back... and realize I am a 13-15 model but stock always seemed to feel like engine was lugging along unless you really got aggressive with accelerator. A sport mode like '16+ would have been a nice addition to mine IMO but not sure the same in what I am seeing with PC and my everyday use.

Just my $.02... opinion...and experience...

The linear curve of city mode prevents me from going back to stock. It feels more like my old vehicles with a cable throttle. In my use case it has nothing to do with mashing the throttle but car accelerates how I would expect it to. I realize throttle mapping is the way it is for EPA, MPG, CAFE, etc... I've not seen a MPG penalty either. I can't comment on emissions as WA state sent those out to pasture 1.1.2020.

Thinking back... and realize I am a 13-15 model but stock always seemed to feel like engine was lugging along unless you really got aggressive with accelerator. A sport mode like '16+ would have been a nice addition to mine IMO but not sure the same in what I am seeing with PC and my everyday use.

Just my $.02... opinion...and experience...

Pretty much my thoughts/experience as well. It helps that it has a few different settings so you can adjust to what feels best for you. That way, if the car feels too "roped in" on initial acceleration, you can tweak it a bit to suit your needs. After installing my throttle controller, the pedal feels the way I think it should.

I turn it off in the winter so that I can more easily modulate the throttle to minimize traction loss when accelerating from a stop on icy/snowy roads.

oh man, every time I drive our 2014 I feel like the engine lugs sometimes, like it's super hesitant to downshift when I press the pedal down. With PC does the transmission downshift more readily?

Definitely interested in this. I've only driven my 2022 CX-5 ~500 miles and I already hate the throttle response & inconsistent behaviour when I press down on the accelerator pedal. Unless I quickly jab down on my pedal, or depress it a significant amount, the CX-5 does NOT downshift at all, as it's constantly trying to save fuel & trying to stay in the highest gear possible AT ALL TIMES 😡. A slight but quick jab will induce a downshift of 1 gear. However, if I OVER-jab it'll shift down 2 or 3 gears, and then you look like you're a wannabe Fast & Furious racer.

Maybe my leg/foot will accurately learn the proper jab amount in time, but until then this "jab guessing" is my only option because a GRADUAL depressing of the pedal will NOT do anything until you've gone down maybe 50-60% (just base on feel), at which point the CX-5 MIGHT downshift a gear, but often times it downshifts TWO+ gears and you look like the Fast & Furious racer again.

Drive in Sport mode, you say? No, I HATE SPORT MODE because it's more stupid than the accelerator pedal. Sport mode will downshift only 1 gear like I want, but that's only because it CAN'T downshift 2+ gears because the revs are already way too high. Even on light throttle (no longer accelerating), this stupid mode holds on to the gears like they're diamonds.. and it won't let go! Sometimes I lift my foot completely OFF the pedal cruising on a FLAT road and it STILL WON'T UPSHIFT.

ALL I WANT is to be able to press down 10-20% on the accelerator, no matter how fast or gradual I do it, and have my CX-5 downshift ONE GEAR every time.

I love everything else about the CX-5 and so does my wife, which is why we bought it. But this pedal/throttle issue is the worst thing about this car and I'm willing to pay a lot of money to find a "fix" for this, including but not limited to getting an engine tune.

The slight delay when accelerating from a stop is annoying too. Normal, Sport or manual mode makes no difference, there's just a split-second delay after depressing the accelerator until the car gets going. It's more noticeable and more annoying the more I drive it.

Last edited:
Definitely interested in this. I've only driven my 2022 CX-5 ~500 miles and I already hate the throttle response & inconsistent behaviour when I press down on the accelerator pedal. Unless I quickly jab down on my pedal, or depress it a significant amount, the CX-5 does NOT downshift at all, as it's constantly trying to save fuel & trying to stay in the highest gear possible AT ALL TIMES 😡. A slight but quick jab will induce a downshift of 1 gear. However, if I OVER-jab it'll shift down 2 or 3 gears, and then you look like you're a wannabe Fast & Furious racer.

Maybe my leg/foot will accurately learn the proper jab amount in time, but until then this "jab guessing" is my only option because a GRADUAL depressing of the pedal will NOT do anything until you've gone down maybe 50-60% (just base on feel), at which point the CX-5 MIGHT downshift a gear, but often times it downshifts TWO+ gears and you look like the Fast & Furious racer again.

Drive in Sport mode, you say? No, I HATE SPORT MODE because it's more stupid than the accelerator pedal. Sport mode will downshift only 1 gear like I want, but that's only because it CAN'T downshift 2+ gears because the revs are already way too high. Even on light throttle (no longer accelerating), this stupid mode holds on to the gears like they're diamonds.. and it won't let go! Sometimes I lift my foot completely OFF the pedal cruising on a FLAT road and it STILL WON'T UPSHIFT.

ALL I WANT is to be able to press down 10-20% on the accelerator, no matter how fast or gradual I do it, and have my CX-5 downshift ONE GEAR every time.

I love everything else about the CX-5 and so does my wife, which is why we bought it. But this pedal/throttle issue is the worst thing about this car and I'm willing to pay a lot of money to find a "fix" for this, including but not limited to getting an engine tune.

The slight delay when accelerating from a stop is annoying too. Normal, Sport or manual mode makes no difference, there's just a split-second delay after depressing the accelerator until the car gets going. It's more noticeable and more annoying the more I drive it.

One of the nice things about the Pedal Commander or Sprint Booster is their return policy. You can spend the $250-350 to get the unit, install it, and play with it for a few weeks. It's more than enough time to determine if the product is right for you.

I have the Sprint Booster. It has 18 "levels", with 9 settings in Sport mode and 9 settings in Race mode. I'll try and make a video that shows the difference it makes. I usually run it at 7 in Sport, but every once in a while I'll switch to 7-9 in Race. The tip-in is too much at that point, but it is a little fun lol.

@reeves-cx have you tried manual mode? Manual mode works great! Like a manual transmission ... You tell it exactly which gear you would like to be when.

@reeves-cx have you tried manual mode? Manual mode works great! Like a manual transmission ... You tell it exactly which gear you would like to be when.

Yea I don't want to manually shift this car all the time, it's not enjoyable. I have a manual Mazda3, so I DO like rowing my own gears. I don't know how to explain it, it just feels weird not having a clutch pedal if I'm shifting. I forget to shift sometimes too when I'm in manual mode. Then the revs get really high and I'm reminded how much I hate Sport mode... maybe that's it.

Muscle memory, force of habit, lack of engagement, whatever it is..
I don't enjoy manually shifting the CX-5.

Sort of agree, I'm used to regular manual gearbox cars, but shifting our CX5 manually with the shifter feels weird. Maybe it would be better if our car had paddle shifters. Although I did find a good use for it when we drove the car to the Smoky Mountains last year. Going up and coming down some of those mountain roads, the car seemed like it couldn't decide what gear it wanted to be in. Especially when coming down and I wanted to use some engine braking to keep speeds down. Manual mode was great for that.

Hi,

I always found the throttle response to be lacking even though it is supposed to be better on the redesined 2017 model. I added a Pedal Commander and it feels like a different vehicle. It adds no horsepower but the cars throttle response is so reactive and fun with out being to twitchy. The car definitely feels faster and more playful. I have had it for about a year and still enjoy it every time I get into the car. Some people think these devices are snake oil but I can tell you they have not tried it. If you want to have more fun with your cx5 I would highly recommend.
I totally agree. A few glitches. Installation instructions do not mention that you have to remove the accelerator to get to the Harness. App doesn't hold car info, but the Unit works fine.

Hi,

I always found the throttle response to be lacking even though it is supposed to be better on the redesined 2017 model.
I've driven two Gen 2's now and they are both noticeably quite horrible in throttle response compared to my Gen 1 (2014). I don't know what Mazda did, but they done messed it up.

I know the 22 turbo and non turbo models have really slow/poor throtle response especially off the line even in sport mode. Have seen this with cars for years. Good way to significantly improve the response of the vehicle. No warranty issues either since it doesn't affect ecu directly.

Back