Best car starter?

:
-- 2016 CX5 GS
Just wondering what the best car starter would be for my 2016 CX-5?

I don't care about having an App or starting from my phone, but longer range starting would be nice (1000 feet?). I also don't care if original key fobs start the car or not, since I believe the range on that is short, guessing 50 feet?

It would be nice if there were few modules to install so it's relatively easy to self install. :)

Thanks, looks fairly easy to install, assuming mine doesn’t need the hood switch ...
300 feet is nice, but it would be nicer if it was longer range :)

I am assuming the original fobs which could be used to start on certain starters only have a really short range ...

I’ve looked at that but I’m confused about what I would need ...
or would I have to have it installed by a professional ?

I assume I would need the EVO-ONE, T Harness, for OEM key fob?
And for EVO-ALL I would add an RF Kit and 2 way remotes?

Thanks!

The evo one with Mazda harness and RF kit should take you no more than an hour to install very simple to do (and a few great YouTube videos floating around). I installed mine in my CX-5 and an identical kit in my wife’s CX-9.

Couldn’t be happier.

The evo one with Mazda harness and RF kit should take you no more than an hour to install very simple to do (and a few great YouTube videos floating around). I installed mine in my CX-5 and an identical kit in my wife’s CX-9.

Couldn’t be happier.

Perfect, do you know what the total cost was approximately ?

Also, is there anything in particular better on the EVO ONE vs. the EVO ALL ?

Mine is the GS model, so basically Touring, so I assume I wouldn't need the hood switch,-
in that case only the EVO ONE, T Harness, and RF Kit with remotes ... I think :)

Last edited:
Great video, thanks!

It sounds like, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that for my 2016 GS (Touring) which already has a factory built-in alarm, I won't need the hood switch. I guess easiest way for me to test is try to start the car with the hood open, no ?

It also looks like since it's a push button, the EVO ALL would work, or simply the EVO-MAZT1.
I would also need to add a 2 way remote, for example the RFK442 kit ...

I can also get a pre configured kit, with everything included it seems:

And possibly also this for firmware updates:

This company sells an entire kit, with keys and programmer, about $250 USD:

Last edited:
I didn’t get the RF kit. I got just the evo one, Mazda harness and updater tool for $120. I use drone mobile with mine so that I have unlimited range. Drone mobile was $99 and I paid $149 for 5 years of service.

You don't need an RF kit unless you plan on starting the car from a mile away or really tall building and you are inside. The Evo one works with the oem key fob like it was factory installed. You only need the Evo one, harness, and link updater for the install

You don't need an RF kit unless you plan on starting the car from a mile away or really tall building and you are inside. The Evo one works with the oem key fob like it was factory installed. You only need the Evo one, harness, and link updater for the install

Yeah, staring at home that would work great, but at work from a building I'd like to have a 2-way or mobile, since 2-way is fine and saves me the yearly fees, and possibly later down the line 3g/4g phase out and more upgrades ... I might go with that.

I wonder how the antenna is attached to EVO ONE/ALL, and if it has to be run and installed by the window ...

I had a look at mine, and I don't think there's an alarm built-in, I rolled window down, closed the car and then opened the door from inside, I had the key fob on me outside, it opened without any alarm.

I also don't think there's a hood sensor, when hood is open I see that all doors are closed on the dash, and I can start the car even with it open.

It looks like the EVO ONE is easier to install than EVO ALL :)

Last edited:
Yeah, staring at home that would work great, but at work from a building I'd like to have a 2-way or mobile, since 2-way is fine and saves me the yearly fees, and possibly later down the line 3g/4g phase out and more upgrades ... I might go with that.

I wonder how the antenna is attached to EVO ONE/ALL, and if it has to be run and installed by the window ...

I had a look at mine, and I don't think there's an alarm built-in, I rolled window down, closed the car and then opened the door from inside, I had the key fob on me outside, it opened without any alarm.

I also don't think there's a hood sensor, when hood is open I see that all doors are closed on the dash, and I can start the car even with it open.

It looks like the EVO ONE is easier to install than EVO ALL :)
There is no alarm and no hood sensor. You don't need to install one for the Evo to work. The Evo also has a built in alarm which you can enable if desired when programming. As for the RF kit, you can easily add that and program the Evo for it before installing. The process is simple and easy to install. You can be done in less than an hour including securing all wires and hiding module.

There is no alarm and no hood sensor. You don't need to install one for the Evo to work. The Evo also has a built in alarm which you can enable if desired when programming. As for the RF kit, you can easily add that and program the Evo for it before installing. The process is simple and easy to install. You can be done in less than an hour including securing all wires and hiding module.

Ok that's good to know, although the stock alarm isn't a must, the starter can add one, so that's good.

The hood sensor on the other hand is a safety feature though, so the car can't start while someone is working on something under the hood :)

As far as I could tell from the manual, you open up the cover around steering column and disconnect 2 wires, routing them to the harness. Then the harness cable goes all the way behind the glove compartment and that's where the starter module is located. However where exactly do you have to mount the RF kit, somewhere on the windshield or around the starter module ?

The programming part I'm not worried about, it looks easy enough, it's the cable routing and putting components in the right place :)

Thanks!

... However where exactly do you have to mount the RF kit, somewhere on the windshield or around the starter module ?

I think most people mount it (RF antenna) either under the trim of the driver side A pillar (hidden) or very near the top of the windshield passenger side (not under the headliner) - the thought being yeah the antenna is exposed but the driver really cant see it under normal operations - let the passenger ignore it. :)

Route the harness from the steering column to the left and down to the kick panel, following the factory wiring and zip tie things as you go along, with the starter module residing up against the firewall down low and zip tied to factory harness. Shortest, easiest clean install with easy access to module should you need or want to get to it for any reason. You can mount the RF antenna there too or route up to driver side windshield and mount on dash next to A pillar.

Ok perfect, thanks for the suggestions!

I would like the RF antenna hidden so that's probably how I will do it,
there might be some range decrease but I guess FM 433 MHz can penetrate things fairly well ...

Sounds like the kit I want is EVO-ONE-442, with THAR-ONE-MAZ3, plus a FLASHLINK :)

This got me thinking, I can get EVO-ONE with the harness for much cheaper without RF remotes ...

Is there a good 5G? module that can be used instead of RF, that doesn't have super high monthly fees?

I'm guessing products such as DR-3400 will quit working when 3G is shut off ?

Back