2013~2016 Belt Tensioner - Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

There seems to be a tsb from Nov.2019 on the tensioner leak. All cx5 2013 to 2019 listed. Seems high heat plus high load may lead to the issues on the old part numbers tensioners.

What is strange is now the online catalogs seem to show a "C" revision of the tensioner PE03-15-980C which is even newer number.
Replaces PE01-15-980A, PE01-15-980B, PE03-15-980A, PE03-15-980B, PET2-15-980
Oem price aprox. 207 usd.

Last edited:
20200823-110506.jpg

Went to check mine. It has started too although still in the early stage. Less than 15.000 miles.

Just clean it off good and check it periodically.I think (think -- it's been a while) mine,as it was failing, just slowly caused an increase in "engine roar" that wasn't all that noticeable until the new one was installed and then noticed it was quieter.Kind of like when shock absorbers wear out slowly and then you really notice the difference with new ones. Don't remember any squealing or loud oddball sounds.

Noises would start later when almost all the oil (its not a lot anyway) is out I guess.
I was suspecting high heat may have something to do with the rubber grommet not being able to seal properly.
Off to the dealer. I dont believe its normal to have any leaks no matter which element at low miles plus its a bigger risk when oil gets to the belt and who knows how it affects the other parts on the belt (crankshaft pulley, alternator bearing, AC pulley , etc). Hopefully they will replace under the 3/36 warranty.

Last edited:
There seems to be a tsb from Nov.2019 on the tensioner leak. All cx5 2013 to 2019 listed. Seems high heat plus high load may lead to the issues on the old part numbers tensioners.
Yes, there’s indeed a TSB but it’s too late for most of us without new-car warranty!

TSB 01-019/19: OIL LEAKAGE FROM DRIVE BELT AUTO TENSIONER AND RATTLE NOISE FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT

Description:
Some vehicles may exhibit oil leakage from the drive belt auto tensioner and rattling noises from the engine compartment. This may be caused by insufficient sealing at the drive belt auto tensioner damper when the auto tensioner fully operates under both high ambient temperature and high load conditions. To eliminate this concern, the shape of the drive belt auto tensioner damper has been changed.”

The TSB 01-019/19 issued on 11/26/2019 is applicable to US spec. 2013-2019 CX-5‘s and all other SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L and 2.5T’s presumably with PE01-15-980 or PE03-15-980 belt tensioner. People should check your tensioner before your new-car warranty runs out or you’ll be facing possible expensive repair sooner or later!

What is strange is now the online catalogs seem to show a "C" revision of the tensioner PE03-15-980C which is even newer number.
Boy, this tensioner thing is getting interesting! Like you said, just a month ago Mazda parts list had PET2-15-980 for $147.86 MSRP, now another new-and-improved tensioner PE03-15-980C is listed selling for $207.71 MSRP!!! :rolleyes:

Now the latest PE03-15-980C replaces: PE01-15-980A, PE01-15-980B, PE03-15-980A, PE03-15-980B, PET2-15-980!

I guess I’m lucky not to jump in too soon getting a new old-version tensioner last month when I noticed the leaky tensioner, although the price has jumped 40%!!!

Yeah the latest version of belt tensioner, PET2-15-980, is not only more expensive ($147.86 MSRP), but also it’s made in Slovakia.

BTW, I saw your write-up of DIY changing the tensioner in other 2 related threads. It’s really helpful and thanks for sharing your experience.

View attachment 225845

The TSB says to use PET2-15-980 tensioner and “new modified drive belt auto tensioner can be identified by serial number F569897.13.”. My theory is the latest PE03-15-980C is equivalent to modified PET2-15-980 with serial number F569897.13., but added some expensive super sealing which caused the 40% higher price!

760DA1EE-5205-4878-A2D9-9A614EEDEE4A.jpeg

Yes, there’s indeed a TSB but it’s too late for most of us without new-car warranty!

TSB 01-019/19: OIL LEAKAGE FROM DRIVE BELT AUTO TENSIONER AND RATTLE NOISE FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT

Description:
Some vehicles may exhibit oil leakage from the drive belt auto tensioner and rattling noises from the engine compartment. This may be caused by insufficient sealing at the drive belt auto tensioner damper when the auto tensioner fully operates under both high ambient temperature and high load conditions. To eliminate this concern, the shape of the drive belt auto tensioner damper has been changed.”

The TSB 01-019/19 issued on 11/26/2019 is applicable to US spec. 2013-2019 CX-5‘s and all other SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L and 2.5T’s presumably with PE01-15-980 or PE03-15-980 belt tensioner. People should check your tensioner before your new-car warranty runs out or you’ll be facing possible expensive repair sooner or later!
Hell, I tried to get the tensioner on my 6 replaced at the Mazda dealer I used to work at and they told me that it was only leaking a little and that it was normal. I've got 6 weeks left on my warranty too.

I guess the new normal for mazda leaks :)

To me it's not normal, like it's not normal for the timing chain cover to leak or the oil pan sealing or the gearbox to engine, not at least before 50-60k miles.

Hell, I tried to get the tensioner on my 6 replaced at the Mazda dealer I used to work at and they told me that it was only leaking a little and that it was normal. I've got 6 weeks left on my warranty too.
Had you know there’s a TSB around at the time, your dealer would have no excuse not to replace your leaky belt tensioner under new car warranty.

Leaking tensioner and belt changed.
Got the one mentioned in tsb. Will make picture later. The C version is quite new and I can guess not readily available yet. Forgot to ask though. overall great experience with my dealer.

Leaking tensioner and belt changed.
Got the one mentioned in tsb. Will make picture later. The C version is quite new and I can guess not readily available yet. Forgot to ask though. overall great experience with my dealer.
C version is available at many Mazda online parts stores. I believe your dealer just used a tensioner in their stock which is the older version. The C version could be made in Japan based on the first 4 alpha-numeric prefix from part number. Do you happen to know the part number on your failed tensioner?

Your dealer certainly is very nice to give you a new serpentine belt with tensioner at less than 15.000 miles on your CX-5. The TSB doesn’t list the belt as a required replacement part.

only saw F-569897.07. INA on the old one while it was on the car. Assuming it was one of the very early part numbers. date was 03.2018. Limited space to make proper picture unfortunately.

yeah belt is not listed but when there is oil on it, there isn't much choice. belt was paid by me but its cheap, sorry for not mentioning. labor was already included due to the warranty work and the tensioner.

only saw F-569897.07. INA on the old one while it was on the car. Assuming it was one of the very early part numbers. date was 03.2018. Limited space to make proper picture unfortunately.

yeah belt is not listed but when there is oil on it, there isn't much choice. belt was paid by me but its cheap, sorry for not mentioning. labor was already included due to the warranty work and the tensioner.
After I looked at those actual pictures of tensioner on Amazon, the part number is stamped only on the back side of the wheel level, above the second serial number showed in the TSB. So there’s no way to see unless the tensioner is removed. I wonder if your dealer charged MNAO the old MSRP $147.86 on PET2-15-980 tensioner on your invoice?

I’ll wait a bit to get my replacement tensioner making sure I’ll get the latest version tensioner, PE03-15-980C!

So, the version B is not good either? When I have replaced mine, it was a version B.
I see, that they are selling the new C version now. Mine it was ~$92 back then.

My replacement is also a rev"B", but 16,000 miles later (which admittedly is not alot) it's still not leaking.Fingers crossed.This tensioner thing with all the revisions is approaching B.S. territory.You'd think it'd be covered under drivetrain warranty since alot of other stuff is covered.Moot point for me since that's long gone on my 2014.

It doesnt mean its not good, just that there are newer updated revisions. Only Mazda knows more.
Next after B is the one from the November 2019 TSB - partno PET2-15-980 and then there is the latest C version from a month ago. Only time will tell how each handles over time.
I am guessing my oem with the car was the 'A' because the INA number was very old number. Even newer cars could get from the factory with older ones or one revision behind because they have to clear at least some of the old stock first. I doubt the immediately scrap all tens of thousands of parts just because there is new rev. And yes, It seems the tensioner issue is one item that affects all skyactiv engines all years so yeah its quite a story.

Last edited:
So, the version B is not good either? When I have replaced mine, it was a version B.
I see, that they are selling the new C version now. Mine it was ~$92 back then.
There’re 6 versions now for this tensioner. Started with PE01-15-980A -> PE01-15-980B -> PE03-15-980A -> PE03-15-980B -> PET2-15-980 -> PE03-15-980C.

We can also check the serial number mentioned in the TSB. One of the serial number can be seen easily on damper cylinder beneath “INA” wording. Everything with “F-569897.13” and higher than “13” is the revised version which has different shape of tensioner damper with better sealing.

Rock Auto sells the INA tensioner for less than $40.

Back