Battery Suggestions

And the Mazda High-Performance battery for CX-5 sold in the US Mazda dealers does say Group Size 35 battery.

B5966B88-CB34-4C16-AC6E-014737F7F975.jpeg

5BA25741-E3C2-4B4B-81DA-27A7B9CBBB8F.jpeg

A1BD14BB-C854-4350-BD6F-B5077F08ABD4.jpeg

Are there any larger capacity batteries that will fit in the tray? Off warranty.. and negligible additional weight is not of concern. Thanks!

Are there any larger capacity batteries that will fit in the tray? Off warranty.. and negligible additional weight is not of concern. Thanks!
Last time I went to Costco to exchange a dead Interstate battery from my 1998 Honda CR-V, I noticed Costco now carries Interstate Group 35 AGM battery. The price of course is a lot more expensive (just checked, $154.99) than standard floored battery (now $99.99! It was $89.99 at the time when I got the CR-V battery and went up from $79.99 not long ago!). This Interstate Group 35 AGM battery has 650 CCA which may be the highest I’ve seen on Group 35 battery. It also comes with a carrying strap which is very convenient. The Interstate Group 35 flooded battery has 640 CCA.

Thanks! I will probably just go with Costco 35. I am running the Interstate batteries from Costco in my other vehicles as well. CX-5 has a Duralast from early 2017.

Thanks! I will probably just go with Costco 35. I am running the Interstate batteries from Costco in my other vehicles as well. CX-5 has a Duralast from early 2017.
from my battery research when looking for the lightest battery... these heavy's with tons of power showed up.

optima red 8020/9020 - 32 lbs. @ 720 cca with 44 ah for $245
interstate premium AGM MTX-35 - 42 lbs. @ 650 cca with 55 ah for $210
odyssey - ODP-AGM33 - 46 lbs. @ 675 cca with 59 ah for $282
Full River(@ Rockauto) - 48 lbs. @ 750 cca with 64 ah for $278

comparison OEM Yuasa/Panasonic battery - 32 lbs. @ 540 cca with 60 ah for $128.

* the Costco may be a reflagged/badged Interstate.

Please do own research and verify the above before you buy.

Last edited:
Lithium. But you are talking $$$$$$$$, big time. Easily $4-500.

Misread OPs post. Thought didn't care about weight. Lithium still might not work .. OP is looking for unicorn.

Most lithium had way lower ah like 32 ah to 36 ah. An example is the Shorai LI-ion had 540 cca with 36 ah for $259 but could freeze in winter, and needs removed from car and is unstable/could explode technology.

The safer and stable LifePO4 made by Antigravity Q85 for bci group 35 only has 40 ah with 1500 hca, no cca designation for $830.

These batteries are alot lower ah than the OEM 60 ah , more expensive and some don't have cca to compare.

That is if he wants more power than he may have to go with the heavier batteries I listed at post 45.

The interstate is only 10 lbs heavier than oem, has more cca and almost the same ah.

The OEM is a beast when it comes to ah and decent cca.

Unless the specs shown are wrong, misleading or mis-stated. Dont' know how Yuasa can pack so many ah into battery in smaller/lighter package when others can't.

If OP wants more cca ( to start in cold) and more ah ( to run/power more things for longer) then the heavy 48lb full river is the way to go.

Again OP should do his research.

Last edited:
⋯ interstate premium AGM MTX-35 - 42 lbs. @ 650 cca with 55 ah for $210

* the Costco may be a reflagged/badged Interstate.
At least in US, Costco is selling Interstate standard flooded and AGM batteries including Group 35 batteries for Mazda CX vehicles. Although price has gone up 25% in 6 months to $99.99, I believe Costco Interstate flooded Group 35 battery with 640 CCA is still the best bang for the buck. Of course for $154.99 you can get Interstate 650 CCA Group 35 AGM battery at Costco which is supposed to have “2X the life of conventional flooded batteries”.

⋯ comparison OEM Yuasa/Panasonic battery - 32 lbs. @ 540 cca with 60 ah for $128.
For these 2 major Japanese battery manufactures, how did you find out the specs for them, especially our stock Panasonic battery?

At least in US, Costco is selling Interstate standard flooded and AGM batteries including Group 35 batteries for Mazda CX vehicles. Although price has gone up 25% in 6 months to $99.99, I believe Costco Interstate flooded Group 35 battery with 640 CCA is still the best bang for the buck. Of course for $154.99 you can get Interstate 650 CCA Group 35 AGM battery at Costco which is supposed to have “2X the life of conventional flooded batteries”.

For these 2 major Japanese battery manufactures, how did you find out the specs for them, especially our stock Panasonic battery?
That was a few months ago..
Data was from both reseller and manufacturers websites.

Yuasa bought Panasonic's battery division(from both panasonic and Yuasa corporate websites), hence Yuasa/Panasonic and just rebadged the newly produced battery's.

⋯ The interstate is only 10 lbs heavier than oem, has more cca and almost the same ah.
I seemed to have trouble finding the specs on AH for Interstate batteries, neither on Costco nor on Interstate website.

If OP wants more cca ( to start in cold) and more ah ( to run/power more things for longer) ⋯
Good analogy between CCA and AH. It’s interesting to see in the US battery manufactures or sellers seem to don’t care the AH, but emphasize only the CCA. In fact many US battery manufactures or sellers never list the AH but only the CCA. On the other hand everywhere else in the world uses the AH to show the battery capacity, not the CCA.

Last edited:
⋯ Yuasa bought Panasonic's battery division(from both panasonic and Yuasa corporate websites), hence Yuasa/Panasonic and just rebadged the newly produced battery's.
Wow, didn’t know that. Companies keep merging and getting bigger and bigger!

I seemed to have trouble finding the specs on AH for Interstate batteries, neither on Costco nor on Interstate website.

Yes it was hard to find specs for alot on manufacturers...alot of digging.
the MTX 35 AGM cca is 650 cca and 55 ah.

interstate MTX 35 specs.png

The MT 35-1 lead acid is 550 cca and 58 ah.

Interstate MT 35 FLA specs.png

Last edited:
I had to replace the battery in the wife's Mazda5 last week. Walmart Everstart MAXX group 35: $103 out the door, including taxes and disposal. 640CCA, and it was made by East Penn, same as a Deka.

I had to replace the battery in the wife's Mazda5 last week. Walmart Everstart MAXX group 35: $103 out the door, including taxes and disposal. 640CCA, and it was made by East Penn, same as a Deka.
Yeah WalMart has the price rollback from $98.76 to $88.00 on EverStart Maxx lead acid Group 35N automotive battery with 640 CCA; in the mean time Costco’s Interstate lead acid Group 35 battery has 25% price increase from $79.99 to $99.99. And WalMart EverStart battery “looks” like the same as Costco Interstate battery from the same US battery manufacture, either Brookfield and Exide Technologies or East Penn / Deka / MK.

It seems like the Group 35 battery is a little shorter than the OEM Panasonic battery. I used the spacer under mine to make it easier to attach the cables.

I think there is another battery that will fit the tray and is closer to the height of the Panasonic. 24 or 27 maybe.

It seems like the Group 35 battery is a little shorter than the OEM Panasonic battery. I used the spacer under mine to make it easier to attach the cables.
Yes. Group # is used only in the US also. The Group size will be a little different from those batteries made in other countries using metric system.

I think there is another battery that will fit the tray and is closer to the height of the Panasonic. 24 or 27 maybe.
Yes, it’s the Group 26R. Group 26R is smaller (shorter) than Group 35, hence it usually has less CCA. Not many people would be in favor of getting such battery.

Back