Battery life for key fob...How long does yours last?

Bought new batteries. A two pack was $4.39, the package says they have a shelf life to 2030. I think my OEM battery must have been having voltage changes so sometimes it could lock/unlock the doors and sometimes it couldn't.

My CX-5 has a build date of 4/19, getting the key battery low message recently. One of the first things I bought last year was a pack of batteries to keep in the glove compartment. Peace of mind to have spares. Best price for name brand batteries I can find is $4 on Amazon for a 4-pack or $6.53 for a 10-pack. Cheap insurance.

Bought new batteries. A two pack was $4.39, the package says they have a shelf life to 2030. I think my OEM battery must have been having voltage changes so sometimes it could lock/unlock the doors and sometimes it couldn't.
I assume your problem is fixed by new CR2025 battery?

Seems that the vehicle gives you plenty of warning before the battery actually goes dead. When mine first gave the warning, I stuck a spare battery in the console and went 2 months before finally giving in and changing it out.

Seems that the vehicle gives you plenty of warning before the battery actually goes dead. When mine first gave the warning, I stuck a spare battery in the console and went 2 months before finally giving in and changing it out.
Same here. I saw the low key fob battery warning a couple of times several months ago, but since then the message hasn’t re-appeared, and the key fob keeps functioning well without any problems.

Mine never gave me a warning but I noticed the range was only a few feet so I changed it. I put a new battery in the spare fob as well, they don't keep that long on a shelf.

My CX-5 has a build date of 4/19, getting the key battery low message recently. One of the first things I bought last year was a pack of batteries to keep in the glove compartment. Peace of mind to have spares. Best price for name brand batteries I can find is $4 on Amazon for a 4-pack or $6.53 for a 10-pack. Cheap insurance.

I replace mine every year to eliminate the issue 100%. Its cheap convenience/insurance. That said, my Fortin remote starter remote does most of the work. I merely need the fob close to start the car.

For a few bucks, why milk it...I just change it once a year to be safe...I believe this recommendation is the manual. I keep a battery six pack in the g. box. also , 5 -10 years shelf life depending on what you get for a brand....

The stupid advanced key fob, with the buttons on the side, has a power saving mode that throws the car into stupid mode telling you key fob is out of range or whatever. Theres a way to turn off the power saving mode and like magic, the key fob has range again!
20201203_153356.jpg
20201203_153422.jpg

Replaced the battery in mine last month after the message was displayed (which is a feature I appreciate) - 20 months. Seems about normal. The ones in my wife's RAV4 last about two years.

Where is the video on how to replace these batteries? I have some laying around, so I might as well throw a new one in while I’m thinking of it.

FWIW: I ran the key fob for my 2020 Signature through the wash yesterday. Thinking that I had nothing to lose, I disassembled it and lined up all the pieces as they came off. I'm guessing there were 15-20 pieces, including a spring that could have "boinged" out into the room but didn't.

Using canned air I dried everything off and re-assembled. As this was my first time doing this, the entire procedure to about an hour. Pressing the lock/unlock buttons on the fob performs the correct actions on the car, so I guess the fob still works. I did NOT test the fob prior to disassembly, as I didn't want electricity from the battery going who knows where inside.

I typically trade/flip my leases around the 3 year mark and usually have to replace the fob battery at least once. I'd say I get ~ 2 years of use from the main fob (mine) with daily use. The second fob sits in the kitchen "key drawer" and is usually fine.

The stupid advanced key fob, with the buttons on the side, has a power saving mode that throws the car into stupid mode telling you key fob is out of range or whatever. Theres a way to turn off the power saving mode and like magic, the key fob has range again!

I went back to the dealer for this because I thought my fob wasn't working. What was weird, I had the car for over a week and suddenly it "stopped working" and I got the range error in the instrument cluster. Not sure what turned this mode on, but the dealership turned it off and everything was good again.

I went back to the dealer for this because I thought my fob wasn't working. What was weird, I had the car for over a week and suddenly it "stopped working" and I got the range error in the instrument cluster. Not sure what turned this mode on, but the dealership turned it off and everything was good again.
Honestly, I've found myself having to turn off the mode all the time now. Whether it be trying to lock the car from a distance and pushing the lock button one too many times or even it being in my pocket while at work and bumping against other keys or equipment on my work belt.

Mazda messed up with this one. I get it, if you have a spare key that you literally rarely use, okay, power saving mode works. But putting a mode so easy to activate that irritates customers, bad move Mazda.

FWIW: I ran the key fob for my 2020 Signature through the wash yesterday. Thinking that I had nothing to lose, I disassembled it and lined up all the pieces as they came off. I'm guessing there were 15-20 pieces, including a spring that could have "boinged" out into the room but didn't.

Using canned air I dried everything off and re-assembled. As this was my first time doing this, the entire procedure to about an hour. Pressing the lock/unlock buttons on the fob performs the correct actions on the car, so I guess the fob still works. I did NOT test the fob prior to disassembly, as I didn't want electricity from the battery going who knows where inside.
Are the FOBs certified for HE washers? Also I may try getting mine Dry Cleaned with extra starch! sorry..had to,,,but great job Ladd with the recovery!

Back