Battery draw on 2021 CX-30

Please refer to this thread for similar issues that also seem to be affecting my brand new CX-30.

New 2021 CX-30 owner from last week, and already getting the low battery drain message after car parked overnight with nothing on, no phone connected, and key fob far away in metal box. Brought to dealership (Wantagh Mazda), all checked out and nothing found, including battery, alternator and phantom battery leak. Car is a preferred model, and does not have the electric lift gate.

So frustrating on a new car. Also own a 2018 CX-5, and don't have any of these issues.

Corporate Mazda contacted, awaiting a response.

Anything else I should be doing before returning to the dealership? I am getting the low battery message daily, and it is warm out and a brand new battery and car. Suspect the car would be completely dead overnight when it is winter.

Concern is that the phantom battery drain test was via an automated machine, and did not try to manually isolate circuits that are still on.

Input appreciated, as not the way to get a new vehicle.

So much for "Top 20% Reliability" from Consumer Reports.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_233711.jpg
    IMG_20210501_233711.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 573
Last edited by a moderator:
I already went to the dealership and the problem is not fixed. Therefore, the problem is escalated.

Years ago, I had a brand new Nissan Altima with a broken fuel gauge. I went to the dealership twice with no improvement for service visits. After I called corporate, the 3rd time all parts were replaced relevant to the system, and never had a fuel gauge issue again.

In retrospect, should have called corporate sooner that time IMHO.

New 2021 CX-30 owner from last week, and already getting the low battery drain message after car parked overnight with nothing on, no phone connected, and key fob far away in metal box. Brought to dealership (Wantagh Mazda), all checked out and nothing found, including battery, alternator and phantom battery leak. Car is a preferred model, and does not have the electric lift gate.

So frustrating on a new car. Also own a 2018 CX-5, and don't have any of these issues.

Anything else I should be doing before returning to the dealership? I am getting the low battery message daily, and it is warm out and a brand new battery and car. Suspect the car would be completely dead overnight when it is winter.

Concern is that the phantom battery drain test was via an automated machine, and did not try to manually isolate circuits that are still on.

I've seen that message on cars that have sat on the lot too long without starting or after really cold temps, and sometimes right off the ship from Japan. Putting the battery on a charger usually fixes it

I've seen that message on cars that have sat on the lot too long without starting or after really cold temps, and sometimes right off the ship from Japan. Putting the battery on a charger usually fixes it
So true. Unfortunately, the message keeps going away each time the car is driven, and then reappears after sitting all night.

Yes, ran a battery test, and it was fully charged, and passed with no issues. I was given the report. However, I had driven the car 30 mins to get there, so battery would be fully charged at that point.

Sorry to hear this is happening to you. As you mentioned above, the battery test they performed is not an ideal test because you had driven the car to the dealership, which would have charged the battery up.

What the dealership should do IMO is give you a loaner vehicle so that you can leave your CX-30 with them overnight. That way they can verify the issue for themselves and start tracking down the fix.

Sorry to hear this is happening to you. As you mentioned above, the battery test they performed is not an ideal test because you had driven the car to the dealership, which would have charged the battery up.

What the dealership should do IMO is give you a loaner vehicle so that you can leave your CX-30 with them overnight. That way they can verify the issue for themselves and start tracking down the fix.
Thanks for the advice. That is the plan, as they need to attempt to reproduce the error. Hopefully will happen soon.

It looks like you've never experienced a dead battery. Is that correct? Could it be a connection/ground issue? Maybe the light doesn't necessarily mean the battery is drained.

If a load test on the battery tests good, and the battery charges when driving, then it has to be a parasitic draw. The dealer should have checked for that with a voltmeter.

If a load test on the battery tests good, and the battery charges when driving, then it has to be a parasitic draw. The dealer should have checked for that with a voltmeter.
It is amazing to me how lame some dealers are. How could they have simply checked the battery when he arrived and said all is well rather than keeping his car and sending him home in a loaner? He has described the issue well and they know it's happening after sitting all night.

The battery has not died. The problem has become intermittent, so I held off on getting the car back to the dealership. I am willing to see what happens at this point, but will have a low threshold to getting it looked at if it recurs.

I have had this issue with mine several times too. Just yesterday I had the doors open for awhile adding a dog barrier and it said low battery warning, please start the car or charge the battery. It’s like it doesn’t know how to stop the battery from draining unless all doors are closed and the car is locked. Some accessories or power drains continue that the car does not stop. I took it to the dealership and they said months ago that the issue is known and a software fix is being developed.

Update: Just put a charger on and it was fully charged very quickly. So it seems the battery warning is false. It is really just telling you there is some drain, but it is not accurate to say the battery charge level is low.

Is there any additional explanation about this warning message in the owner's manual?

Is there any additional explanation about this warning message in the owner's manual?
Nope. Just what it means and how it can (should) be remedied - by driving around for a few hours.

I have seen this warning on mine only when taking ownership and while she was in the showroom. They told me to drive for a few hours, I did, and never saw the warning again, thankfully!

I had the same issue when I bought my CX-30. As I bike a lot and have a second car, the CX-30 will often sit in the garage for days or even a few weeks without use. Every time I opened the car door I got the battery warning, The problem is the fob continually "talks" to the car and slowly drains it. I got a small faraday bag on amazon for 5 bucks and the fob fits inside nicely with a small chain attch. I leave the fob in the car in my garage (bringing it in the house or placing the fob in a metal key box did not help). Ever since I have not had ANY-battery messages. Starts every time.

With my cx5 2.2 diesel I make sure the stop start function is turned off wherever possible as I had a similar issue - although no lights showing I had to get break down guys out for a booster charge to get home one night from work and he told be that it was common due to the continual cranking up of the car at traffic lights etc as he put it “it’s a battery killer” and gradually destroys the battery cells not allowing full recharge - I followed his advice and fully re- trickle charged the battery and turned stop/ start off - have not had problem since and I am running a 70W RMS 4 channel amp & sub - as long as I don’t play them long without engine running… Phil

Please refer to this thread for similar issues that also seem to be affecting my brand new CX-30.

I had the same problem for a year until just recently. Took my CX-30 into two different dealers, and no problem found. Battery died three different times, so Mazda eventually replaced the battery. Still got the low battery message so took it into local Mazda. They loaded a firmware update on the car and I've not had the problem since. The dealer asked me to bring the car in again when I have time as they have heard of a potential problem with the sensor for the hood latch. You might book an appointment with your dealer to have the firmware update installed and check for the hood latch problem (which might explain battery draw).

Back