2016~2023 Battery drain in 2020 Mazdas

Yes, you just need to check to see if your VIN is among those that are affected. If your vehicle has the parasitic draw / dead battery issue and you’re VIN is not on the TSB let your dealer know. They only discovered this in April and I had to push my dealer to elevate it to get Mazda to acknowledge the problem. They may still be learning the extent of it.

Thank you so much for posting the actual TSB. I searched the Internet just now but could not find any TSB info related to 2019 or 2020 CX-9s. This info is gold. My car definitely falls within this range.

I called the local dealer who says I need to bring it in for an inspection (leave it for the day). If they find the problem, they will order the part. There is no pre-ordering the part. The first available appointment is 10 days from now. They are unusually busy.

So if a part (like a relay) lasts a certain length of time and then starts pulling enough current to drain a battery is replaced, what makes anyone think the results will be different.

1. Is the replacement part an updated version? If not, what's the workaround until the part itself is updated? Don't just accept the exact same part without asking this question.
2. Because of the Corona virus and our vehicles' fewer startups, we should be doubly sure to drive a minimum number of miles if the next drive won't be for a while. Frequent trips that are one mile away from your house will not allow the alternator to adequately charge your battery.
3. Everyone should have a battery charger, especially if you park your car in a garage.

Where did you find the vehicle Vins that are affected? I think I am overlooking it.
See red text in the TSB (attached)
0C72FE3E-2BE6-48FF-B62F-920EF92F1880.jpeg

So if a part (like a relay) lasts a certain length of time and then starts pulling enough current to drain a battery is replaced, what makes anyone think the results will be different.

1. Is the replacement part an updated version? If not, what's the workaround until the part itself is updated? Don't just accept the exact same part without asking this question.
2. Because of the Corona virus and our vehicles' fewer startups, we should be doubly sure to drive a minimum number of miles if the next drive won't be for a while. Frequent trips that are one mile away from your house will not allow the alternator to adequately charge your battery.
3. Everyone should have a battery charger, especially if you park your car in a garage.
In two weeks I will be driving 500+ miles for a house boating trip. The car will be parked for 1 week at the Marina. If I Mazda can fix this issue before the trip, this will be a good test of the repair.

Since discovering the battery drain issue, I have been carrying two Lithium Ion battery jumpers. I also have a trickle charger at home which I used the two times I discovered my battery was dead.

Apparently the manufacturer of this module either produced defective parts or parts with a bad design. And, apparently, Mazda has identified the production run of bad modules. Mazda Motor Corp. really needs to send notification to every owner of cars with this group of modules, but maybe they first need to get an adequate supply of good modules in the warehouses and dealerships.

I agree that's what they should do. In reality, what they will most likely do is nothing, and let people bring these cars in as they fail. That minimizes their warranty costs. Even worse for the people that bought these, less than honorable dealers will not inform them about the TSB and charge for the work once the warranty is up.

Because this isn't a safety issue there will never be a recall.

In two weeks I will be driving 500+ miles for a house boating trip. The car will be parked for 1 week at the Marina. If I Mazda can fix this issue before the trip, this will be a good test of the repair.

Since discovering the battery drain issue, I have been carrying two Lithium Ion battery jumpers. I also have a trickle charger at home which I used the two times I discovered my battery was dead.
Good. It looks like you are well prepared.(y)

I just experienced this issue last night. got a jump and drove to the dealership today. They called and said they escalated the issue to Mazda and they're diagnosing it as an inexplicable power drain from the lift gate. Mazda is sending a new part to replace the part that's causing the issue. My rep told me Mazda will likely issue a recall but they're still trying to figure out which models are affected. It's infuriating to have this issue with a new car but it is what it is.

I took my vehicle to the dealership and had the worst dealership experience in my life. When I described the battery issue, the service advisor said "Were you playing the radio without the engine on? Because you can't do that for more than 10 minutes." Without responding in a sarcastic tone, I simply showed him the TSB. He seemed skeptical.

Then a few hours later, he called to say they can't diagnose the problem because I had installed aftermarket electronics and had rewired the car. I started to install a radar detector to the mirror console but did not finish. There were two wires plugged in but not attached to the radar detector. I also ran an extension 12V cable from my aftermarket DVD player in the second to the front row 12V socket. I guess I did too "professional" of a job by hiding the wires beneath the center console. They insisted I had rewired the car and would only work on it in it's original factory state. I offered to remove the offending wiring but they basically said no without saying no. They had no interest in working on a "modified" car. The tech supervisor was also of no assistance. There was no compromise, no accommodation, no service.

I even called Mazda customer service for help who contacted the dealer. However, this dealer said that the TSB states Mazda will not cover this particular issue if the customer has installed aftermarket electronics. So beware.

I will be taking it to another dealer.

That's the risk you take while your car is still under warranty. I had my OEM shocks and springs replaced during the warranty period, and knew that if there were a suspension issue, the dealership would probably treat it as you were treated - no can do.

I have heard this response after calling the service department about a potential warranty issue (with other cars): "Did you buy your car from us?" or "Have you had your car serviced by us?"

If my answer was yes, then I'd be more likely to get a slightly out of warranty job done at no cost. I guess it's part of the "human nature" aspect of doing business.

Picked up a 2020 Sig 8-8-2020. Signed up, 8-11-2020, for My Mazda and the site popped up the service alert, attached.
Dealer salesman dropped off a loaner and took the CX 9 last night. The plan is he'll bring mine back ,fixed, tonight.
The service is great from the dealer.
I'll post an update when the cars back to me.

Attachments

• SSPC Liftgate Control Module 8-11-2020.pdf
    134.3 KB · Views: 364
Picked up a 2020 Sig 8-8-2020. Signed up, 8-11-2020, for My Mazda and the site popped up the service alert, attached.
Dealer salesman dropped off a loaner and took the CX 9 last night. The plan is he'll bring mine back ,fixed, tonight.

Is this an official recall notice for Mazda North America? I can't even see it on the NHTSA.

I believe it is, it shows up on my MY Mazda app as well as when viewed on my computer.
It's listed under a header that says "recall" but shows as a Special Service Program campaign #SSPC2 dated 8-11-2020
I also got the following e-mail:
**This is an automated response.**

Thank you for contacting Mazda!

We know how important your time is and will do our best to get back to you with a personalized response as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience.

You may also reach us by phone at 1-800-222-5500. Our business hours are Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM to 6:00 PM PST, and Saturday 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. We are closed on major Holidays.

Mazda strongly encourages customers with vehicles affected by a recall to bring their vehicles to an authorized Mazda dealer as soon as possible. All safety recall repairs are made FREE OF CHARGE. Click the following link to go to our Mazda Recall lookup page and search your VIN number. http://www.mazdarecallinfo.com/

Mazda Customer Experience Center

I believe it is, it shows up on my MY Mazda app as well as when viewed on my computer.
It's listed under a header that says "recall" but shows as a Special Service Program campaign #SSPC2 dated 8-11-2020
I also got the following e-mail:
**This is an automated response.**

Thank you for contacting Mazda!

We know how important your time is and will do our best to get back to you with a personalized response as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience.

You may also reach us by phone at 1-800-222-5500. Our business hours are Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM to 6:00 PM PST, and Saturday 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. We are closed on major Holidays.

Mazda strongly encourages customers with vehicles affected by a recall to bring their vehicles to an authorized Mazda dealer as soon as possible. All safety recall repairs are made FREE OF CHARGE. Click the following link to go to our Mazda Recall lookup page and search your VIN number. http://www.mazdarecallinfo.com/

Mazda Customer Experience Center

Yes. I just got that too. So for you, as an American owner, you would follow the Mazda USA stuff.

I will have to wait for Mazda Canada to issue the same.

Is this an official recall notice for Mazda North America? I can't even see it on the NHTSA.

Trygg posted a service bulletin that addresses this issue. My vehicle's VIN falls within the range of affected vehicles, but I do not have any reference to a recall through the My Mazda app. Hmmm...

I got the car back Friday, as my rep had said. My Mazda no longer lists the recall for my vehicle. As I never experienced any real problem, I can't attest to any change with the vehicle.

I took my vehicle to the dealership and had the worst dealership experience in my life. When I described the battery issue, the service advisor said "Were you playing the radio without the engine on? Because you can't do that for more than 10 minutes." Without responding in a sarcastic tone, I simply showed him the TSB. He seemed skeptical.

Then a few hours later, he called to say they can't diagnose the problem because I had installed aftermarket electronics and had rewired the car. I started to install a radar detector to the mirror console but did not finish. There were two wires plugged in but not attached to the radar detector. I also ran an extension 12V cable from my aftermarket DVD player in the second to the front row 12V socket. I guess I did too "professional" of a job by hiding the wires beneath the center console. They insisted I had rewired the car and would only work on it in it's original factory state. I offered to remove the offending wiring but they basically said no without saying no. They had no interest in working on a "modified" car. The tech supervisor was also of no assistance. There was no compromise, no accommodation, no service.

I even called Mazda customer service for help who contacted the dealer. However, this dealer said that the TSB states Mazda will not cover this particular issue if the customer has installed aftermarket electronics. So beware.

I will be taking it to another dealer.
I'll start by reiterating that Mazda corporate is well aware of this issue. The guy I spoke with immediately knew what I was talking about, but the dealers are ignorant or feigning ignorance.

I took the car to a second dealer, this time being careful to remove my radar detector and DVD player from the vehicle so I could not be accused of "tampering with the wiring". They checked the power drain and found nothing abnormal. He did say that I should not operate the touch screen for more than 10 minutes without running the engine. When I told him I will be leaving the car unattended for 1 week, he suggested I disconnect the battery to prevent power drain. That is a ridiculous notion since it would reset everything. Plus all my other cars have been left for at least 2 weeks while I've been traveling. As long as the battery is good, they have no issues starting.

Last week, I left the car unattended for nearly 6 days, and it started without issue. I suppose it may be the case that fiddling with the touch screen for 30 to 40 minutes can completely drain the battery, or playing the radio with the doors open while I install car seats for 30 to 40 minutes.

I'll start by reiterating that Mazda corporate is well aware of this issue. The guy I spoke with immediately knew what I was talking about, but the dealers are ignorant or feigning ignorance.

I took the car to a second dealer, this time being careful to remove my radar detector and DVD player from the vehicle so I could not be accused of "tampering with the wiring". They checked the power drain and found nothing abnormal. He did say that I should not operate the touch screen for more than 10 minutes without running the engine. When I told him I will be leaving the car unattended for 1 week, he suggested I disconnect the battery to prevent power drain. That is a ridiculous notion since it would reset everything. Plus all my other cars have been left for at least 2 weeks while I've been traveling. As long as the battery is good, they have no issues starting.

Last week, I left the car unattended for nearly 6 days, and it started without issue. I suppose it may be the case that fiddling with the touch screen for 30 to 40 minutes can completely drain the battery, or playing the radio with the doors open while I install car seats for 30 to 40 minutes.
Something seems strange, can you check your VIN on a Mazda based website and see no recall/TSB info? I wasn't looking for anything with regard to my vehicle it just "showed up" when I logged in. You've said your vin falls in the shown range , so something smells off. I wish I could offer a suggestion, other than to push on the dealer(s) you are able to.

Mazda has finally issued a formal recall on the power lift gate/power drain issue. The two dealers I previously took my car to were rather dismissive.

"On certain subject vehicles, the Power LiftGate (PLG) Control Unit may not switch to the power saving mode even after pressing the push button start and setting the ignition to the off position..." Mazda dealer will replace the PLG at no cost.

For questions, call Mazda at 800-222-5500 option 6.

Back