AWD with no badge?

Like I guessed. One of the reasons I usually don’t buy used cars. Too many unknowns.

Even new cars can be risky.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a new Honda Accord. After I got home, I discovered that it had been damaged in a hail storm.

It's not uncommon for new vehicles to get damaged during transit and repaired without the buyer's knowledge.

As far as @honestjenjen's dilemma goes, I'll add the following:

1. A seller is required to disclose if a vehicle has a salvage title, but they're not required to disclose anything else.

2. No matter how minor the damage was or how well the vehicle was repaired, it now has a "dirty CARFAX" that will haunt it for the rest of its days. A dealer will lower their trade-in offer accordingly and a private-party buyer may pass it up.

I was rear-ended while sitting at a light at the end of an off-ramp by a truck going 34 mph. It cost almost $7000 to repair. New hatch, bumper(and cover), paint and sheetmetal repair to the spare tire area. It drove fine, no leaks, and I never had any trouble with it. I didn't really have any choice other than I could have sold it and replaced it on my dime.
It was a FWD Saturn Vue. AWD might make alignment more critical.

Well, I am getting it inspected this evening. Will let everyone know how it goes! It's worth it to me for peace of mind. If I return it without checking it out first I will always wonder what-if!

If you decide to keep it, it may still be worth letting Carmax know you want to return it and try to leverage that into a $1,000 - $2,000 concession. - bring the car fax with you. Don't say, "will you refund $1,000 due to the reported Carfax Accident", rather, say "hey, I found this pretty bad Carfax report, I want to return the car" - then see if you or them can steer the conversation into , "Would you be able to lower the price in consideration of the awful carfax if I was willing to keep it?" (I'm not saying it IS bad, but as leverage at least it LOOKS bad) Or maybe throw in a free 5 year service warranty.

We're rooting for you and are glad we could help

Would have bought it had you seen the Carfax before you signed on the dotted line? If yes, then keep it. If no, then return it. You should have a body shop look at it. Me??? I would have returned it right after I read the Carfax.

Hertz is having big sale to get rid of cars since they just went bankrupt.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate everyone's thoughts!

So I did take the car for an inspection. I don't know a lot about cars, but the mechanic spent 4 hours examining the car (I watched and had him explain everything to me). Here is what he found/didn't find:

Chassis, frame, and all parts underneath the car look straight and fine, nothing uneven, everything straight, no evidence of any major repairs.

Back: there is evidence of back bumper replacement, as one nut was missing under the car where the bumper is held on (although the mechanic said that didn't actually effect anything) and one small area underneath the car had a bit of paint overspray, which was the only evidence of any repair underneath the car.

Back hatch has likely been repaired or replaced (which we already guessed) as one bolt on the inside is not painted, and the painted ones appear to have tool marks on them from being removed and then put back on.

Sides: No evidence of any damage to either side.

Other/maintenance issues (and non-issues):

1. Back windshield wiper is out of adjustment.

2. Front wiper blades in the front need to be replaced just because they are old.

3. One brake light is out (taillights work, but on one side when you brake the light doesn't get brighter).

4. Fluids are all good, no leaks

5. Tires, rotors, brakes also all good

6. He used a tablet-looking-thing to scan all the sensors (hope I am describing that correctly) and everything passed, no airbag issues or anything else.

7. Engine fine, no problems, all the wires are connected, etc.

Overall: He said overall the car is in great condition, no evidence of any structural repairs, (unless you count the tailgate as structure...?), all panels and parts straight and even (not hammered out or evidence of having been crunched and re-straightened or whatever) no evidence of cheap replacement parts, no parts underneath that look newer than other parts (accident was in November according to Carfax, so replacement parts would likely look newer than 2015 parts would) just cosmetic repairs (back bumper/tailgate/front headlight) that were done very well, and if it were him, he would keep the car.

I am working on my decision but leaning toward keeping (after making carmax adjust my wiper and replace the brake light). It is the exact car I have been looking for forever and about $1000 cheaper than similar cars at Carmaxes in California (maybe due to the accident on the carfax?). But I am still thinking about it and appreciate any further thoughts before I decide!

Last edited:
Due to the pandemic it’s a good time to get a new vehicle for excellent price. Any chance to consider a new red 2020 CX-5?

Was thinking that too. They have a 0% 60 month program. Why not put that as the down payment and divide the balance into 5 year interest free plan. Get a car that'll run for a decade (or two like my Mazda).

Was thinking that too. They have a 0% 60 month program. Why not put that as the down payment and divide the balance into 5 year interest free plan. Get a car that'll run for a decade (or two like my Mazda).
In addition to 60-month interest-free, and getting a 5 years newer car with new car warranty, a 2020 CX-5 has much more advanced technologies (such as AA and ACP) and safety features than a 2015 CX-5 which now is really outdated in many areas.

If one prefer the looks on gen-1 CX-5 (2013 ~ 2016.5 MY), 2016 or 2016.5 CX-5 has more improved features than 2015 and prior (such as availability of LED headlights and other LED lightings) which should be the MY to consider.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate everyone's thoughts!

So I did take the car for an inspection. I don't know a lot about cars, but the mechanic spent 4 hours examining the car (I watched and had him explain everything to me). Here is what he found/didn't find:

Chassis, frame, and all parts underneath the car look straight and fine, nothing uneven, everything straight, no evidence of any major repairs.

Back: there is evidence of back bumper replacement, as one nut was missing under the car where the bumper is held on (although the mechanic said that didn't actually effect anything) and one small area underneath the car had a bit of paint overspray, which was the only evidence of any repair underneath the car.

Back hatch has likely been repaired or replaced (which we already guessed) as one bolt on the inside is not painted, and the painted ones appear to have tool marks on them from being removed and then put back on.

Sides: No evidence of any damage to either side.

Other/maintenance issues (and non-issues):

1. Back windshield wiper is out of adjustment.

2. Front wiper blades in the front need to be replaced just because they are old.

3. One brake light is out (taillights work, but on one side when you brake the light doesn't get brighter).

4. Fluids are all good, no leaks

5. Tires, rotors, brakes also all good

6. He used a tablet-looking-thing to scan all the sensors (hope I am describing that correctly) and everything passed, no airbag issues or anything else.

7. Engine fine, no problems, all the wires are connected, etc.

Overall: He said overall the car is in great condition, no evidence of any structural repairs, (unless you count the tailgate as structure...?), all panels and parts straight and even (not hammered out or evidence of having been crunched and re-straightened or whatever) no evidence of cheap replacement parts, no parts underneath that look newer than other parts (accident was in November according to Carfax, so replacement parts would likely look newer than 2015 parts would) just cosmetic repairs (back bumper/tailgate/front headlight) that were done very well, and if it were him, he would keep the car.

I am working on my decision but leaning toward keeping (after making carmax adjust my wiper and replace the brake light). It is the exact car I have been looking for forever and about $1000 cheaper than similar cars at Carmaxes in California (maybe due to the accident on the carfax?). But I am still thinking about it and appreciate any further thoughts before I decide!
Since the Carfax does say undercarriage damage, that’s what the shop who did the repair reported, something got fixed underneath due to the accident. Although the mechanic seemed to be careful checking out the repaired areas in detail, but unless the mechanic put your CX-5 on a chassis machine, or at least a 4-wheel alignment machine, the human eyes simply can’t catch everything other than very obvious problems on chassis.

You can see most people here have given you a thumb-down to this CX-5 purchase. But still the final choice is yours.

Thanks for the replies. Next time I buy a used car I am definitely doing the carfax and inspection beforehand, that's for sure!

The 2020 CX-5 is great but I am really not interested in financing anything. I did look at a 2016 as well but according to NHSTA they have a (slightly) lower safety rating (and more mechanical complaints according to some websites).

The inspector did not put it on a chassis machine, but he did measure the spaces between various areas of the car, removed all the panels underneath, etc. He specializes in vehicle mechanical inspections and repairs. My husband (who also wants to keep the car) thinks we should have a place that specializes specifically in body work look at it too just in case.

As far as the undercarriage damage, I wonder if whoever entered the info from the shop would differentiate between damage to the underside of the bumper vs other underneath damage that is less serious. I once hit a huge dog at 70 mph which busted off my front bumper and the bumper dragged behind me (under the car) for another mile or so till I could pull off the freeway. Would that count as undercarriage damage? (The report on my old car came back showing zero accidents, despite my having 2 accidents in the car and both bumpers having been replaced at different body shops, so I am not sure about these things in general).

I guess there is no way to know though and that's the problem!

[Edit] My husband got an appointment at the body shop tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it goes!

Last edited:
Lone dissenter checking in.
I missed the whole thread but I would have said at the beginning, and now moreso after the inspection, keep the car. It was FIXED. I hate how any time a car has been in ANY kind of accident it is immediately thought of as being written off.
Our Volvo was rear ended to the tune of over $3,000 in repairs. So I doubt it would be considered "severe". However, if someone was buying it from me and wanted even $10 off because it was 'in an accident' I wouldn't budge. That car was 100% fully repaired with new parts and in fact looks better then it did prior to the accident. Today, almost 2 years later, it still looks brand new. It is no less car then it was before the accident.
Even if... OMG THE AIR BAGS WENT OFF... why this is such a barometer of damage??? Just another part to be replaced.
Ok, maybe if some shoddy garage did all the work, I suppose I could see trepidation. And this was SEVERE damage, so if I had know ahead of time I might have negotiated money off. But after the inspection she had, I'd feel fully confident in it.

Enjoy your ride!

Lone dissenter checking in.
I missed the whole thread but I would have said at the beginning, and now moreso after the inspection, keep the car. It was FIXED. I hate how any time a car has been in ANY kind of accident it is immediately thought of as being written off.
Our Volvo was rear ended to the tune of over $3,000 in repairs. So I doubt it would be considered "severe". However, if someone was buying it from me and wanted even $10 off because it was 'in an accident' I wouldn't budge. That car was 100% fully repaired with new parts and in fact looks better then it did prior to the accident. Today, almost 2 years later, it still looks brand new. It is no less car then it was before the accident.
Even if... OMG THE AIR BAGS WENT OFF... why this is such a barometer of damage??? Just another part to be replaced.
Ok, maybe if some shoddy garage did all the work, I suppose I could see trepidation. And this was SEVERE damage, so if I had know ahead of time I might have negotiated money off. But after the inspection she had, I'd feel fully confident in it.

Enjoy your ride!
Not completely alone. Although a no accident is preferred repaired vehicles (if done right) can be fine.
I had a 97 Acura where I was driving down the road about 35mph when out of nowhere a lady in a monster dodge Ram pulled right out in front of me. I nailed her, Did $11,000 damage to my vehicle, both airbags deployed. She told the cop she didn't see me bacause my car was white and there was snow drifts piled up all around. Car was repaired at a Acura approved body shop. Car was perfect after that and drove it with no problems. Kept it for another 7 years. Lost some money on trade-in because of the accident but not too much. After 11 years car wasn't worth a whole lot anyway.

Does the cx5 come with any warranty? Maybe Carmax could throw one in the deal.

Car was repaired at a Acura approved body shop.
See, that’s the key. Mazda doesn’t have official “approved” body shop list like Acura does. Judging by the installation of out of position rear wiper (and wrong size too)、missing “AWD” emblem、and other things found by the mechanic, and previous owner didn’t have any intention to keep this CX-5 any longer at only 50K miles, I simply don’t feel this CX-5 had been repaired by a high quality (expensive) body shop.

⋯ Lost some money on trade-in because of the accident
That will always be the problem when this CX-5 gets traded in or sold in the future because the Carfax accident record will follow this CX-5 forever.

Last edited:
However, if someone was buying it from me and wanted even $10 off because it was 'in an accident' I wouldn't budge.

Vehicle A is a new vehicle that has never been damaged or repaired.

Vehicle B is a new vehicle that fell off the transport truck and had exhaust, suspension, body, and paint work done.

Would you pay as much for vehicle B as you would for vehicle A knowing vehicle B was damaged and repaired?

Answer honestly - Jesus is watching! ;)

If you decide to keep it, show the Carfax to them and tell them you want to return it or receive (pick a number...go high as they will negotiate it down) xxx for loss of value due to the bad Carfax. Tell them you bought and paid for an accident free car.

Back