2017~2024 AWD versus FWD

:
Miata and CX-5
When driving my 2019 CX-5 AWD it feels like there is a bit of "resistance" preventing the free flow of the wheels.

Golf carts have a governor (to prevent people from being able to drive too fast , especially on a downward slope) and the CX-5 AWD reminds me of that.
For comparison, my son's 2016 CX-5 FWD and my wife's 2019 MX-5 RWD have no such resistance.
Is it normal for an AWD vehicle to have a little resistance when rolling, as compared to an FWD or RWD vehicle ?

When driving my 2019 CX-5 AWD it feels like there is a bit of "resistance" preventing the free flow of the wheels.

Golf carts have a governor (to prevent people from being able to drive too fast , especially on a downward slope) and the CX-5 AWD reminds me of that.
For comparison, my son's 2016 CX-5 FWD and my wife's 2019 MX-5 RWD have no such resistance.
Is it normal for an AWD vehicle to have a little resistance when rolling, as compared to an FWD or RWD vehicle ?

The feeling you’re describing seems to be a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 difference. My 13 Sport seems to roll more freely where my mother in laws 17 GT seems to engine brake some when the accelerator is released. Both of our CX5s are FWD.

The feeling you’re describing seems to be a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 difference. My 13 Sport seems to roll more freely where my mother in laws 17 GT seems to engine brake some when the accelerator is released. Both of our CX5s are FWD.

Well, I suppose driving a 2019 CX-5 would be helpful to me understanding the difference between AWD and FWD. My assumption has been that power to all 4 wheels changes the drive characteristics and feel.

There are probably a few things at work here. Compared to the 1st gen, the 2nd gen is a little heavier, sits a little bit lower, and probably has different tires. ECU/TCU tuning is probably a little different. Some differences are minuscule on their own, but together, they can create a difference you can feel.

Also, the AWD system is not fully engaged at all times, it is 98% FWD and 2% RWD until the system detects a need to push power to the rear.

I think what you're feeling may just be the extra weight, but there is a chance that you might be having a brake drag issue. I'd suggest going to the dealership to test drive one of their AWD CX-5s on the lot to see if it feels the same. If it doesn't, there's probably something wrong and you should have the dealership look at the vehicle while it's still under warranty.

Has anybody mentioned the rolling resistance of tires? I'm sure these $130 toyo (on my 2020) can't be very good. Check your tires and check rolling resistance specs on Tire Rack or something

Also, the AWD system is not fully engaged at all times, it is 98% FWD and 2% RWD until the system detects a need to push power to the rear.

A service advisor at a dealership told me the front-to-rear ratio was about 60-40, but I've read the 98-2 ratio as well, so I don't know what is the truth about Mazda AWD power engagement of all wheels.
The FWD CX-5's I've driven have all been 2016 model year.

Has anybody mentioned the rolling resistance of tires? I'm sure these $130 toyo (on my 2020) can't be very good. Check your tires and check rolling resistance specs on Tire Rack or something

I've had CX-5's with Toyos, Yokohamas, and BF Goodrich, but can't say I've noticed any significant drive-feel-handling difference among those tires.
Regardless, I doubt this "resistance" feel I have on my 2019 AWD is related to tires. It sort of feels like the way a car might drive if the emergency brake was on a little bit, just a little resistance-tension.
My best guess is that what I'm noticing is the difference between FWD and AWD, but I guess I won't know for sure unless I drive a 2019 or 2020 CX-5 FWD.

A service advisor at a dealership told me the front-to-rear ratio was about 60-40,
And this goofball actually qualified to work at a dealership? I'm not expecting him to know everything about everything, but how can you not know about products that your company sells and you are paid to service?

I've always been amazed at how many employees at dealerships know so little about the product they sell or service.

I've had CX-5's with Toyos, Yokohamas, and BF Goodrich, but can't say I've noticed any significant drive-feel-handling difference among those tires.
Regardless, I doubt this "resistance" feel I have on my 2019 AWD is related to tires. It sort of feels like the way a car might drive if the emergency brake was on a little bit, just a little resistance-tension.
My best guess is that what I'm noticing is the difference between FWD and AWD, but I guess I won't know for sure unless I drive a 2019 or 2020 CX-5 FWD.
Also see if there is any heating on any of the wheels. I have had the issue of rear brakes dragging from the EPB caliper problem. I could feel the wheel was overheating with my hand on the spokes.

Or low air pressure might make it feel sluggish. Then the sidewall of the tire might be hot.

Also see if there is any heating on any of the wheels. I have had the issue of rear brakes dragging from the EPB caliper problem. I could feel the wheel was overheating with my hand on the spokes.

Or low air pressure might make it feel sluggish. Then the sidewall of the tire might be hot.

You've given me something to check. However wouldn't the brake pads have premature wear ?

And this goofball actually qualified to work at a dealership? I'm not expecting him to know everything about everything, but how can you not know about products that your company sells and you are paid to service?

I've always been amazed at how many employees at dealerships know so little about the product they sell or service.

Well, his belief would clarify why there is a drive-feel difference between FWD and AWD.
I think Mazda's marketing of AWD proclaims rear wheel power only engages when needed, but I have not read anything more specific than that (from Mazda).

Maybe he was thinking of the back seats. They're 60/ 40 😒

AWD is pretty 'technical'.

Is this a recent symptom, or has it always been like this?

#1 Check and adjust tire pressure accordingly.

Then, try it rolling it at say 15 mph in both D and N to see if you have dragging brakes or if its just drivetrain / engine braking.

Maybe he was thinking of the back seats. They're 60/ 40 😒

AWD is pretty 'technical'.

Is this a recent symptom, or has it always been like this?

I bought the 2019 CX-5 AWD new and on the drive home realized the ride was very different from the 2016 CX-5 FWD.
At its first oil change-tire rotation I asked the service advisor about the difference in ride between AWD and FWD. He replied that the rear wheels are powered about 40% (or maybe he said 30% or 35%, I don't remember).

I've never driven the AWD. I think my 16 w/17" alloy wheels has kind of a light, nimble feel. It rolls very easily. I always thought it was because of the wheels, my previous suv had tires roughly the same circumference but smaller wheels, giving a little softer, bouncier ride.

I've never driven the AWD. I think my 16 w/17" alloy wheels has kind of a light, nimble feel. It rolls very easily. I always thought it was because of the wheels, my previous suv had tires roughly the same circumference but smaller wheels, giving a little softer, bouncier ride.

My son's 16 FWD has a comfortable, easy rolling drive when accelerating.
My 19 AWD , when accelerating, has a bit of resistance rather than easy rolling drive.
Each week I am driving both the 16 and the 19 so the difference is noticeable.
The 19 AWD does handle tighter and firmer than the 16 FWD, but that is likely due to the difference
between a nearly 5 years old 50,000 mile vehicle versus a year old 15,000 mile one.

My son's 16 FWD has a comfortable, easy rolling drive when accelerating.
My 19 AWD , when accelerating, has a bit of resistance rather than easy rolling drive.
Each week I am driving both the 16 and the 19 so the difference is noticeable.
The 19 AWD does handle tighter and firmer than the 16 FWD, but that is likely due to the difference
between a nearly 5 years old 50,000 mile vehicle versus a year old 15,000 mile one.

that’s how I’d describe the difference between my 13 and mother in laws 17 FWDs. I can also recreate those feelings on my 19 RAV4. Eco mode feels like my 13 whereas Sport mode feels like the 17. My RAV4 is an AWD

I bought the 2019 CX-5 AWD new and on the drive home realized the ride was very different from the 2016 CX-5 FWD.
At its first oil change-tire rotation I asked the service advisor about the difference in ride between AWD and FWD. He replied that the rear wheels are powered about 40% (or maybe he said 30% or 35%, I don't remember).

Bad info you got. The rear gets 0% on dry pavement / no slip conditions on your 2019. My 2017 gets 2% all the time with same conditions. That change happened in either 2018 or 2019. Can not remember for sure which.

Bad info you got. The rear gets 0% on dry pavement / no slip conditions on your 2019. My 2017 gets 2% all the time with same conditions. That change happened in either 2018 or 2019. Can not remember for sure which.

How do you know it is "2%"? Is there something written from Mazda specifying 2%?

Watched many Dave Coleman talks and interviews online. Go to youtube. I think the change to 0% was in 2019 now that I think back to his videos.

Back