AWD compared

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Pretty disappointing, really. Mazda was definitely the worst. XDrive seems like its rockin' it! Even the 2018 RAV 4 tore the CX5 up like a wet dinner roll.

Did not watch the video but I am personally impressed by the BMW xDrive system. My brother has a 4 series coupe with xDrive and he can put the power down in the crappiest conditions and the car just goes and goes fast.

Did not watch the video but I am personally impressed by the BMW xDrive system. My brother has a 4 series coupe with xDrive and he can put the power down in the crappiest conditions and the car just goes and goes fast.

I admit I do miss the QDII in my Jeep. In snow my CX5 does fine, but nothing beat my QD's ability to vary torque 4-ways 100% in an infinite combo.

Pretty disappointing, really. Mazda was definitely the worst. XDrive seems like its rockin' it! Even the 2018 RAV 4 tore the CX5 up like a wet dinner roll.

While I agree that Mazda didn't look especially great, according to the narrator it did overall better than both, RAV 4 and Tucson...

Did all cars have the same tires? If just stock, it isn't a real test.
No, they were all equipped with different tires. However, sometimes ignorance is bliss: Subaru and BMW (yes, that's right - the ones that aced the test) had summer tires, while Mazda, Hyundai, and VW wore winter tires. To add insult to injury, Mazda was the only one that had the studded tires...

No, they were all equipped with different tires. However, sometimes ignorance is bliss: Subaru and BMW (yes, that's right - the ones that aced the test) had summer tires, while Mazda, Hyundai, and VW wore winter tires. To add insult to injury, Mazda was the only one that had the studded tires...

Yup. I am disappoint.

I'm not clicking on that Russian bot video, but that terrain looks nothing like anything our CX-5 will ever see. Ours does a great job on snow and rain covered roads, which is all I care about. If I was off-roading, I wouldn't be doing it in the CX-5.

I'm not clicking on that Russian bot video, but that terrain looks nothing like anything our CX-5 will ever see. Ours does a great job on snow and rain covered roads, which is all I care about. If I was off-roading, I wouldn't be doing it in the CX-5.

Looks like my driveway.

Its a hopeless test. All it proves is that you dont go up a muddy field unless you have proper block tread tyres like the military use. Summer or winter tyres are not for mud. All the cars were just spinning in the mud. Complete waste of time.

There are many flaws in this test:
1. BMW is typically given first or among the first stab at the muddy terrain and CX-5 last or among last on the same path. The virgin path vs. heavily crossed path are not the same conditions.
2. VW, Subaru drivers seems to apply much more momentum in their ascent. A well know recipe for success.
3. Rain increased through the last ascent, per the narrator (and Google translate) making the task more difficult for the last car to attempt the climb.
4. Tires are all different.

It is also not clear but seems that doing the exact same terrain with traction control off would have been more successful.

I'm not clicking on that Russian bot video, but that terrain looks nothing like anything our CX-5 will ever see.

You been in Vermont in mud season? Our road looked just like that -- actually worse -- last weekend. (see attached image)

Attachments

• IMG_3476.jpg
    IMG_3476.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
You been in Vermont in mud season? Our road looked just like that -- actually worse -- last weekend. (see attached image)

Nope. And if that was a common occurrence where I lived, I would not be driving the vehicles I currently own.

The Mazda did good. All wheels were getting power. Two things about the Mazda. For conditions like in the video the traction control has to be turned off. With TC turned on, the car allows free wheel differential spin designed for superior on road performance for taking corners. The second thing is the tires were not gripping in the video. With good tires the Mazda would have gotten 2nd place. Also to note they had the 2.0 not the 2.5, which adds a little more weight to help things out. And the CX-5 was the most handsome of the bunch.

I doubt its possible to predict which would win but with the right tyres, all of those vehicles would have just driven around that course. They didn*t even drive them in the same way, it was just a free for all. A waste of time albeit entertaining.

The Mazda did good. All wheels were getting power. Two things about the Mazda. For conditions like in the video the traction control has to be turned off. With TC turned on, the car allows free wheel differential spin designed for superior on road performance for taking corners. The second thing is the tires were not gripping in the video. With good tires the Mazda would have gotten 2nd place. Also to note they had the 2.0 not the 2.5, which adds a little more weight to help things out. And the CX-5 was the most handsome of the bunch.

My experience with my 07 CX-9 GT confirms both points. When I was driving in VT the first winter I had it, I had all season tires. I got in a hard snow/ice parking lot and when I tried to go up an incline, the traction control literally cut all power. I managed to figure out to turn the traction control off and got out. Once I bought a set of snow tires, she drove through most anything quite happily.

Back