Autoweek's review

manualist

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport 6MT - Metropolitan Gray
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111121/CARREVIEWS/111129986

Mazda needs to bring the more powerful Skyactiv-D engine to the US before the perception of good but under-powered hurts potential sales. Which I suspect is the case with the Mazda5. Now that they got a design that isn't hated by most people, I hope they'll leave it at that and concentrate on developing better engines.

I think they just need to turbocharge their skyactiv gas engines. Since the design is already quite big for a 2litre (talking about new sky-G 2.0) i doubt they could fit a more powerful 2.5 in the CX-5

So far, they are making 4 sizes: 1.3, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.5
Would be nice to see the full potential of these new engines

Wouldn't the high compression design of the gas engine make it difficult to apply turbo?

Many reviews that came out today (11/23/2011) state the car is plenty powerful although one claimed the 19" wheels cause a bit of cabin noise. Consumer reports did a driven review today and cnet did a short video review.

Looks like all the reviews and comments around the internet are calling for a stronger engine ASAP. Hopefully Mazda's listening and doing all they could to speed up the process of bringing the diesel here. And then follow up with a bigger Skyactiv gas engine for people who don't want diesel. Kodo design is good enough Mazda, now is the time to up your engine game.

i'm anxious to actually drive it in direct comparison to the CX-7. I am a little concerned about the lack of power, but we'll see.

funny how you bring this up since i just finished reading it on my way home

They seem to be very happy with the feel and driving dynamics of the CUV but criticized it much on its interior and lack of infotainment. I haven't sat in one so I can't comment too much on the interior but the lack of infotainment doesn't really bother me. I personally don't like Fords My touch. Too much fake tech stuff with foreseeable blue screens. It makes the entire car feel so much more electronic.

I don't care for infotainment either, as the driving itself should do be entertaining. In future I hope people who love gimmicky gadgets in cars will all buy robotic pods that do all the driving, leaving them texting, updating Facebook or do whatever hip things to do. To me driving is like an art, and that's why I want to do everything myself with a proper manual gear box.

Back