SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
link: 2019 Mazda CX-5 fuel economy takes a hit with new turbocharged engine

lede:
"We learned all about the 2019 Mazda CX-5 last week, and now we've discovered fuel economy for its new 2.5-liter turbocharged engine. Unsurprisingly, it gets slightly worse fuel economy than its naturally aspirated counterpart. The 2019 turbo crossover in all-wheel drive form gets 22 mpg city and 27 mpg on the highway.

Front-wheel drive CX-5s with the naturally aspirated 2.5 liter net you 25 mpg city and 31 mpg highway all-wheel drive drops one mpg in both categories."

link: 2019 Mazda CX-5 fuel economy takes a hit with new turbocharged engine

lede:
"We learned all about the 2019 Mazda CX-5 last week, and now we've discovered fuel economy for its new 2.5-liter turbocharged engine. Unsurprisingly, it gets slightly worse fuel economy than its naturally aspirated counterpart. The 2019 turbo crossover in all-wheel drive form gets 22 mpg city and 27 mpg on the highway.

Front-wheel drive CX-5s with the naturally aspirated 2.5 liter net you 25 mpg city and 31 mpg highway all-wheel drive drops one mpg in both categories."
As predicted:

attachment.php

7001A6C3-D939-47E8-953F-922534AA5147.png

I am looking at dropping gas efficiency for more performance and I am looking at vehicles with worse mileage that require premium fuel. Not that I would get one, but I am looking at all CUV reviews and watched/read about the 2019 Edge ST with the V-6 @ 335hp / 380 ft-lb torque. They also bumped up the interior to soft touch and other things. What I did not know is that Ford is dropping almost all of it cars from their lineup so they are really banking on the CUV/SUV/Truck lines to carry the company. At the opposite end, I also watched the review of the Lambo Urus and how that company sees that the future is in performance SUVs. I've heard that Ferrari is also considering a SUV model.

My point is this is getting really tough to decide because most of the car manufacturers are making decisions on what they think will be the future market and trying to take their portion of the slice. Good for the consumer that wants a CUV/SUV I suppose in terms of performance, economy, amenities etc. as they attempt to balance all these features. Just harder IMO to weigh it all out on what I desire as a buyer and as a daily driver.

Certainly the CX5 Turbo is a solid bump up compared to my current 187hp model. Once again experienced this morning trying to merge into fast moving metro interstate traffic and the vehicle decelerated for a few milliseconds rather than accelerated. Frustrating at times. It is those moments I would give up some gas economy just to make sure I don't get rear ended.

Not sure why this is news. It is fricken in the Mazda brochure for the car.

I am looking at dropping gas efficiency for more performance and I am looking at vehicles with worse mileage that require premium fuel. Not that I would get one, but I am looking at all CUV reviews and watched/read about the 2019 Edge ST with the V-6 @ 335hp / 380 ft-lb torque. They also bumped up the interior to soft touch and other things. What I did not know is that Ford is dropping almost all of it cars from their lineup so they are really banking on the CUV/SUV/Truck lines to carry the company. At the opposite end, I also watched the review of the Lambo Urus and how that company sees that the future is in performance SUVs. I've heard that Ferrari is also considering a SUV model.

My point is this is getting really tough to decide because most of the car manufacturers are making decisions on what they think will be the future market and trying to take their portion of the slice. Good for the consumer that wants a CUV/SUV I suppose in terms of performance, economy, amenities etc. as they attempt to balance all these features. Just harder IMO to weigh it all out on what I desire as a buyer and as a daily driver.

Certainly the CX5 Turbo is a solid bump up compared to my current 187hp model. Once again experienced this morning trying to merge into fast moving metro interstate traffic and the vehicle decelerated for a few milliseconds rather than accelerated. Frustrating at times. It is those moments I would give up some gas economy just to make sure I don't get rear ended.

Well, according to Mazda, the turbo model will give me 0.4 seconds quicker to 60mph times. WOOT!!!! lol

Not sure why this is news. It is fricken in the Mazda brochure for the car.
Mazda North American Operations just made the official brochure of 2019 CX-5 available online. And EPA just posted official 2019 CX-5 fuel economy ratings, which includes non-exist 2.5T FWD CX-5.

And Mazda's spec lists only incomplete city and highway EPA FE estimates without combined estimate.

Most likely, a tune will take care of that part.
When you buy something more expensive, you should care less about the mpgs(you should be able to afford that as well).

Well, according to Mazda, the turbo model will give me 0.4 seconds quicker to 60mph times. WOOT!!!! lol

Yeah, because the turbo is the only thing that changed between whatever MY you have and the 2019. (rolleyes)

2014 CX-5 comes out, "it's too loud". 2017-18 models come out, and they're quieter and more refined, but "it's slower that the 1st gen!". 2019 comes out and it's faster and quieter than the 14, "lol wood trim". It never ends, lol.

Since the EPA fuel economy test use a driving profile for all MAZDAS, the reduction in Compression ratio and the additional weight of the Turbo version is the result of the drop in fuel mileage and not the increased power. Ed

2014 CX-5 comes out, "it's too loud". 2017-18 models come out, and they're quieter and more refined, but "it's slower that the 1st gen!". 2019 comes out and it's faster and quieter than the 14, "lol wood trim". It never ends, lol.

It would end if Mazda could just improve the damn thing all around instead of this pick and choose business.

Most likely, a tune will take care of that part.
When you buy something more expensive, you should care less about the mpgs(you should be able to afford that as well).

Youre right. I could be faster than a stock turbo with a OVT tune, maybe! How funny would that be

Back