Auto Dimming Exterior Side Mirrors

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Does anyone know of any kind of aftermarket or modifications that can be made to the driver's and possibly passenger's side mirrors that will convert them to auto dimming? Quite often at night I get annoyingly blinded by cars & trucks with either high intensity headlights, or poorly aimed headlights, or the ever-popular hi-beams. I've driven a friends BMW M3 and his side mirrors automatically dim. I've been trying to find a solution on-the-line (online) but I'm not having any luck. This is also a real problem for my wife since she has Adies Pupil where her pupil will not constrict with brighter lights.

I think the Mazda 6 had an auto dimming side mirror at one point (not sure if they still do). Perhaps something could be modded? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be interested in that as well. I can't drive in the right lane at night because the glare of other cars hi-beams and mis-aligned headlights in my driver's side side-view mirror. It's literally blinding to me!

Haven't seen auto-dimming outside rearview mirrors. You'll find "blue-tinted" outside rearview mirrors on many high-end cars such as our BMW 528i. They effectively reduce glare just like you wanted. I've seen people are selling those blue-tinted mirrors on eBay or AliExpress but not sure if there is one for our CX-5.

Any ideas on how to prevent glare in side mirrors?

Aim the side mirrors so they don't line up with the side of your car but rather, continues from where the middle mirror ends. This helps quite a bit and basically eliminates your blind spot.

Haven't seen auto-dimming outside rearview mirrors. You'll find "blue-tinted" outside rearview mirrors on many high-end cars such as our BMW 528i. They effectively reduce glare just like you wanted. I've seen people are selling those blue-tinted mirrors on eBay or AliExpress but not sure if there is one for our CX-5.

16 Mazda MX-5 has a driver side auto dimming mirror.

Aim the side mirrors so they don't line up with the side of your car but rather, continues from where the middle mirror ends. This helps quite a bit and basically eliminates your blind spot.

That works somewhat, but here in MI people like to be your "wingman" and drive in formation like we're the Blue freakin' Angels of the highway!

⋯ but here in MI people like to be your "wingman" and drive in formation like we're the Blue freakin' Angels of the highway!
LOL! I found this is so true and this happens everywhere. I try not to be a "wingman" as I know how irritate it must be for the driver who is leading the "formation"!

on cars in general or just on mazda's? my old 2005 mercedes c240 had these and it was amazing

This. You shouldn't be looking straight back along the adjacent lane in your side view mirrors. Your rear view mirror covers that area. You need to adjust the side view mirrors farther out to look at more of the area immediately beside and just behind the car. In doing this and eliminating blind spots, by the time a passing vehicle gets its headlights into the area covered by the side view mirror, glare from the headlights will basically be almost none, unless they're aimed super wonky.

Mirrors are adjusted correctly. I can't see any of my car's sides in my mirrors. I still wish I had auto dimming side mirrors like my buddy's M3.

However, I don't want his payment or insurance bill!

Back