Are you waiting for a third-generation CX-5?

I'm one of those people who could be perfectly happy without a moonroof, let alone a pano. Then again, I'm in the northeast and the weather is often pretty lousy.

I'm one of those people who could be perfectly happy without a moonroof, let alone a pano. Then again, I'm in the northeast and the weather is often pretty lousy.

Agreed, I've had a number of cars (incl the 2019 CX-5) with sun/moonroofs. Hardly EVER use them - I find them pretty much useless.

Interestingly, my other car's a convertible (not a Miata :)) and I hardly ever go out in it without the roof down!

^^ Same here.

Lane centering tech is not something I want, but I'm sure it's coming. People always say it's nice to have and that they use it responsibly, but a lot of these people misuse it or have false expectations that result in collisions and injuries. It doesn't help that some manufacturer's commercials actually show drivers lifting their hands from the damn steering wheel...

Mazda does in fact have lane centering tech, it just isn't available in North America. Initially, I thought that part of the reason NA Mazdas don't have lane centering is because they have GVC and GVC+ instead. But after looking at Mazda Australia's site, their CX-5s have LKAS with corrective steering and GVC+. Not sure what gives. But I'll enjoy not having it until they force it on us, and when they do, I hope I can turn it off, lol.

Agreed about the sunroof. I live in LA and while the weather is nice year round I can't stand the sun beating down on my head.

The regular sunroof was one more thing I liked about the CX-5. I do use & enjoy my sunroof but have no interest whatsoever in a panoroof.

I would like it if they moved the side traffic alert lights from the mirror glass into the interior - where the mirror attaches and the black plastic is now. It's like that on Nissans and it's MUCH more noticeable and useful than being on the mirror glass. One would think that the mirror glass would be cheaper too without the embedded light.
My wife's 2018 Outback also has the side traffic alert lights on the inside edge of the mirror. Much easier to see. The VW Golf I had prior to the CX-5 also had the lights on the mirror similar to the CX-5. Glare on the mirror made the lights hard to see at times. At least the HUD helps on the CX-5.

At least the HUD helps on the CX-5.
The BSM indicators on the HUD is great, it would be nice if RPM and turn signal indicators were on there as well...any more than that, i think it'll look very cluttered.

I don't care for all that nanny driver assist technology; I like the BSM but everything else I would likely be trying to disable. If anything I'm waiting for a proper high output engine (not the current 2.5T). Perhaps with the i6 being designed it will make its way into the cx-5, or a redesigned i4.

My 2014 is running like new but, interested in a new turbo version IF it gets better front seats, an 8 spd AT to improve fuel mileage and I don't want or need the AWD. Maybe I can get it all in 2022, I hope. Ed

Looks like you couldn’t wait for 3rd gen any longer LOL. I came very close to getting a 20 GTR last April (Turbo envy!), but held off due to the lack of lane centering and low trade-in offers on my 16.5 GT.

Gotta agree on the need for better seats. An 8-speed would be nice to improve fuel economy, especially if it is as well-sorted as the current 6-speed, which I like a lot.

Other features that I’d like to see:
- a bit larger footprint- nothing crazy, just an inch or two more in width and length;
- a Pano roof, even if it was fixed. Large sunroofs really light up the cabin. Just don’t omit a shade as on the Mustang Mach E.
- NA In-line 6!!! Or 300+ HP PEV.
- A light-colored interior for the top trim. Parchment or a light gray would be good.
- Full parking assist as on Fords. SWMBO can’t parallel park to save her soul.
- Remote creep forward/backward as on Hyundais, for the incredibly narrow parking spaces in the People’s Republic of Boulder, would be nice.

I’d happily pay another $5-7k over current Signature prices for those upgrades.

Still loving my 16.5, so no hurry. A second-year model in 23 would be perfect.

Here's the 3rd Gen. You can't tell much other than the body design isn't very much different than the current one, which is good because the current one is a very nice design, better in my opinion than any mid-size crossover except maybe a much more expensive Jaguar F-Pace (Cadillac is okay too but I like rounder lines.)

https://www.formacar.com/en/news/view/35295.html

Rumors started out it would be a 2022 model but seems it's pretty for sure it will be a 2023 model (COVID delayed?) The other two major things that are probably coming to fruition is an inline 6 engine, at least as an option in the upper trims, and a RWD biased drive train. Other than that I think it's anyone's guess what else is going to change other than it's almost for sure going to be significantly more expensive.

Many of us want the latest and greatest but there has been talk that the 2nd Gen is currently a bargain because Mazda is planning to use the 2023 CX-5 to try to jump the brand from semi-luxury to luxury to try to elevate the brand and directly compete with BMW and Mercedes. This is based on statements supposedly heard from the President of Mazda. If that's the case, you'll probably see a minimum 10% bump in price meaning probably about $30K for base model and into the mid to high $40's on the highest trim.

I'm not sure if 6-cylinders (given the turbo 4 has 320-lbs of torque), RWD bias, and looks like 1" larger wheels would justify forking out $5K+ more for it. If they added panorama sunroof, 8-speed dual clutch tranny, seats designed more like my old Volvo S60R and had an option for a turbo 6 cylinder give 320HP+, sign me up. (Really the seats, although decent, have been the only thing I think Mazda should have put more work into on what is otherwise a best in class and then some.) But just having bought a 2021 GTR, I think I'll be quite happy with it for at least 4 years before wanting to open my wallet again and take the depreciation hit (unless I bought used).

Last edited:
Here's the 3rd Gen. You can't tell much other than the body design isn't very much different than the current one, which is good because the current one is a very nice design, better in my opinion than any mid-size crossover except maybe a much more expensive Jaguar F-Pace (Cadillac is okay too but I like rounder lines.)

https://www.formacar.com/en/news/view/35295.html

Rumors started out it would be a 2022 model but seems it's pretty for sure it will be a 2023 model (COVID delayed?) The other two major things that are probably coming to fruition is an inline 6 engine, at least as an option in the upper trims, and a RWD biased drive train. Other than that I think it's anyone's guess what else is going to change other than it's almost for sure going to be significantly more expensive.

Many of us want the latest and greatest but there has been talk that the 2nd Gen is currently a bargain because Mazda is planning to use the 2023 CX-5 to try to jump the brand from semi-luxury to luxury to try to elevate the brand and directly compete with BMW and Mercedes. This is based on statements supposedly heard from the President of Mazda. If that's the case, you'll probably see a minimum 10% bump in price meaning probably about $30K for base model and into the mid to high $40's on the highest trim.

I'm not sure if 6-cylinders (given the turbo 4 has 320-lbs of torque), RWD bias, and looks like 1" larger wheels would justify forking out $5K+ more for it. If they added panorama sunroof, 8-speed dual clutch tranny, seats designed more like my old Volvo S60R and had an option for a turbo 6 cylinder give 320HP+, sign me up. (Really the seats, although decent, have been the only thing I think Mazda should have put more work into on what is otherwise a best in class and then some.) But just having bought a 2021 GTR, I think I'll be quite happy with it for at least 4 years before wanting to open my wallet again and take the depreciation hit (unless I bought used).

The first picture just looks like the current gen CX-5 wrapped in some camo. The other two pictures in the article (from TFLcar) are a completely different vehicle. I think the website is just trying to generate some hits.. or maybe it is proof that the CX-5 will live on while the CX-50 debuts alongside it. I can't see any other reason why they would be putting camo on what looks like a current model CX-5.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that people are going to be disappointed in the CX50 or whatever the car is called. People's expectations are crazy and for those expecting an AMG or M series type Mazda are in for a rude awakening. The new Sky X 3.0 most likely will have similar - or slightly better performance - to the current 2.5T engine but with much better gas mileage and a more refined feel.

These disappointed people are most likely the same people who are disappointed the inline 6 is not in a Miata.

The first picture just looks like the current gen CX-5 wrapped in some camo. The other two pictures in the article (from TFLcar) are a completely different vehicle. I think the website is just trying to generate some hits.. or maybe it is proof that the CX-5 will live on while the CX-50 debuts alongside it. I can't see any other reason why they would be putting camo on what looks like a current model CX-5.

I thought the same thing. But after watching this video you see the body IS pretty different. The camo does a pretty darn good job of making it difficult to see. The predicted X 6 engine although more HP but less torque then the current 4 turbo but 40 MPG!? Wow. I totally disagree with his comment about the potential for a diesel when he says people would go for it due to the better gas mileage. Better? Better than what? 3 MPG better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viUlID3GT5c

The real question is does it come out as a CX-50 and they discontinue the CX-5 or do they offer a 2023 CX-5 with 4 cyl and CX-50 with 6 cyl? My gut says they won't build both and that it will be CX-50 replacing CX-5. But they could position the CX-50 as the BWM/Mercedes killer at 15-20% more expensive than the CX-5 and keep churning the CX-5 out at close to current prices. Other than the fancy 6 cyl X engine I really can't imagine what other gizmos they can offer over a CX-5 Signature that would justify getting like $7K+ more for it.

Will be VERY interesting to see what they come out with in the end.

I thought the same thing. But after watching this video you see the body IS pretty different. The camo does a pretty darn good job of making it difficult to see. The predicted X 6 engine although more HP but less torque then the current 4 turbo but 40 MPG!? Wow. I totally disagree with his comment about the potential for a diesel when he says people would go for it due to the better gas mileage. Better? Better than what? 3 MPG better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viUlID3GT5c

The real question is does it come out as a CX-50 and they discontinue the CX-5 or do they offer a 2023 CX-5 with 4 cyl and CX-50 with 6 cyl? My gut says they won't build both and that it will be CX-50 replacing CX-5. But they could position the CX-50 as the BWM/Mercedes killer at 15-20% more expensive than the CX-5 and keep churning the CX-5 out at close to current prices. Other than the fancy 6 cyl X engine I really can't imagine what other gizmos they can offer over a CX-5 Signature that would justify getting like $7K+ more for it.

Will be VERY interesting to see what they come out with in the end.
If you look at the price difference between the Mazda 3 with the Sky G engine and the Mazda 3 with the Sky-X engine, the price difference is about 8-10%. I would assume the price of the top Mazda CX-50 to be closer to 45K.

The other thing you see with the Sky -X engine is good gas milage (about 25-30% better than the equivalent gasoline engine) but similar performance.

I thought the same thing. But after watching this video you see the body IS pretty different.

What I mean is that the car in the main picture in the article you posted is not the same car that is shown in the video, or in the other two pictures at the end of the article. Those two photos at the end were found a while ago, and this thread provides some analysis of the differences between the current CX-5 and the camo car.

If you compare what would be the black plastic fender trim on the camo car in the first picture to the camo car in the TFLcar pictures, you can see that they're different cars. The trim in the TFLcar pictures is more substantial, and looks similar to the MX-30.

3f30ac929a15c24f444396ee306ea8a901.jpg

vs.

Mazda-cx-50-spied-3-1024x656.jpg

It is amusing to read through a thread like this from the beginning and see all the comments which turn out to be so wrong. That is what speculation gets you. We will know soon enough what the real specs are. I am skeptical about the MPG figures talked about so far as Mazda's tech has not always panned out the way they hoped it would. The big concern I see is price. What is a CX-50 with the I-6 in signature trim going to cost? I am thinking close to 50k.

There’s news from Asia that the 3rd-gen CX-5, supposedly will be shown in LA Auto Show this winter, will have SkyActiv-G 3.0L I-6, or even 282 hp / 340 Nm (251 ft-lb) SkyActiv-X 3.0L I-6 available for 2022 CX-5. The news also says that the SkyActiv-X 3.0L will be on a RWD or AWD platform and call it CX-50.

If I were you I’d wait and see what Mazda North American Operations will offer to US customers in 2022.

View attachment 301168
View attachment 301169

If what you say is true - a 282hp / 251 ft/lb 3.0 I-6 is what is coming - I am glad I bought my '21. I will gladly give up 32hp for 69ft/lbs. I am sure the I-6 will sound better, but the numbers aren't that impressive.

Back