Are TSBs covered by Mazda if vehicle is outside of warranty?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I have the list of TSBs applicable for my CX-5 2016 and find some of them may be applicable for me. If I take it to the dealership and mention the issue and assuming they find the TSB will they (Mazda) cover the issue? Or should I even give them the TSB #?

Solution
You have to pay to play outside the 3/36. :)

In short, not for free unless something on the powertrain warranty - assuming it's still under warranty and you experience the issue and the dealer gets approval from Mazda.
You have to pay to play outside the 3/36. :)

In short, not for free unless something on the powertrain warranty - assuming it's still under warranty and you experience the issue and the dealer gets approval from Mazda.

Upvote 0
Solution
I'd say it depends on the dealer. Sometimes, depending on the issue, the dealership, and the person behind the counter/answering the phone, they may goodwill the repair/service or offer a reduced price. I wouldn't bank on it though.

Upvote 0
If you have written documentation (e.g., on a dealer work order) of a complaint within the warranty period that is addressed by the TSB, they'll usually cover it outside of warranty. For example, the if work order says "customer complains of whistling noise from sunroof - could not find anything abnormal", and there is later a TSB to fix something in the sunroof that makes a whistling noise, you should get coverage. Some of these things can be a judgment call.

My actual experience with this situation is with a 2000 MB ML320 that developed a very annoying problem of vapor locking and losing power when going over high/hot mountain passes. It was a very difficult to duplicate problem because of the specific circumstances, but when it bit, it bit hard and left me wheezing on the side of the road a few times. I complained several times and the numskull dealers replaced lots of stuff but for some reason refused to replace the fuel pump which seemed like the obvious problem. Well outside of warranty, I happened to see someone with the same problem on a forum like this and they mentioned a TSB (issued while my car was under warranty) described EXACTLY what my car was doing with the fix being a redesigned fuel pump and fuel filter. I marched into the dealer who proceeded to tell me that it would cost $2500 to get the TSB repair since I was out of warranty. I complained about how they totally missed the TSB when I was having the problem during the warranty period. They finally tried to weasel out of it by saying I was not maintaining the vehicle properly - I didn't have the fuel filter replaced at exactly the prescribed interval. I was going ballistic and finally got the fix covered if I was willing to cough up the regular charge for the fuel filter service (which was pretty expensive). It was a totally exasperating experience and was the final straw for me with MB ownership.

- Mark

Upvote 0
Always read Section 8 of the manual Warranty for USA or Canada. In the USA, they show 3 steps. First the dealer. They suggest you go as high as the General Manager and then the owner. Step 2 is to contact Mazda Corp with address and telephone number. Step 3 is they are part of the BBB program where BBB will arbitrate a disagreement on a warranty issue at to charge to you.

Read it when you have nothing else to do.

Upvote 0
Always read Section 8 of the manual Warranty for USA or Canada. In the USA, they show 3 steps. First the dealer. They suggest you go as high as the General Manager and then the owner. Step 2 is to contact Mazda Corp with address and telephone number. Step 3 is they are part of the BBB program where BBB will arbitrate a disagreement on a warranty issue at to charge to you.

Read it when you have nothing else to do.
We should also report the problem to NHTSA website. Sometimes based on complaints NHTSA may force the car manufacture to issue a safety recall. A recall will cover the fix of problem for free even without warranty. A perfect example is the LED DRLs on 2016 CX-5. The recall of replacement on entire LED headlight assembly (~$1,200 X 2) was just issued in the summer of 2020 where all 2016 CX-5’s are out of bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Upvote 0
We should also report the problem to NHTSA website. Sometimes based on complaints NHTSA may force the car manufacture to issue a safety recall. A recall will cover the fix of problem for free even without warranty. A perfect example is the LED DRLs on 2016 CX-5. The recall of replacement on entire LED headlight assembly (~$1,200 X 2) was just issued in the summer of 2020 where all 2016 CX-5’s are out of bumper-to-bumper warranty.
Not really. I took it to the dealer who said my headlights are not in recall. It has to be a certain set of serial numbers. Then they actually review the condition of the current headlights. Only after if warrants it, yes they will replace it.

See this from Mazda:

Repair:​

Inspect the headlights and, if needed, replace each with an improved sealing gasket and attach de-sulfurizing materials (gas adsorption sheets) inside the headlight housing or if the headlights are inoperable, replace the headlight unit(s).
Hidden truth: my Service Advisor told me 90% we reject, for actual replacement if OOW. 10% remain most we actually fix as per recommendation. Inoperable means does not work. We can safely say its not inoperable since the lights work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you have written documentation (e.g., on a dealer work order) of a complaint within the warranty period that is addressed by the TSB, they'll usually cover it outside of warranty. For example, the if work order says "customer complains of whistling noise from sunroof - could not find anything abnormal", and there is later a TSB to fix something in the sunroof that makes a whistling noise, you should get coverage. Some of these things can be a judgment call.

My actual experience with this situation is with a 2000 MB ML320 that developed a very annoying problem of vapor locking and losing power when going over high/hot mountain passes. It was a very difficult to duplicate problem because of the specific circumstances, but when it bit, it bit hard and left me wheezing on the side of the road a few times. I complained several times and the numskull dealers replaced lots of stuff but for some reason refused to replace the fuel pump which seemed like the obvious problem. Well outside of warranty, I happened to see someone with the same problem on a forum like this and they mentioned a TSB (issued while my car was under warranty) described EXACTLY what my car was doing with the fix being a redesigned fuel pump and fuel filter. I marched into the dealer who proceeded to tell me that it would cost $2500 to get the TSB repair since I was out of warranty. I complained about how they totally missed the TSB when I was having the problem during the warranty period. They finally tried to weasel out of it by saying I was not maintaining the vehicle properly - I didn't have the fuel filter replaced at exactly the prescribed interval. I was going ballistic and finally got the fix covered if I was willing to cough up the regular charge for the fuel filter service (which was pretty expensive). It was a totally exasperating
This is a counter-productive reason on why someone would go to a dealer to have few things done. I know many who never ever goes to the dealer for servicing. But the downside is obvious: It does make sense to go few times, associate a few problems and have them check it. Later on, it gives an argument that this problem was identified when still within warranty. I now understand why every complaint gets listed, such as "CUST. COMPLAIN .... xxx, .... BUT NO ISSUE FOUND" is listed.

Upvote 0
Back